Author Topic: Dig up and throw away 7 yrs old grafted mango tree  (Read 2773 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Dig up and throw away 7 yrs old grafted mango tree
« on: February 09, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
I planned this Maha grafted tree -- bought from Toptropical in FL --  in ground 7 yrs ago and it is only 24" tall. I finally dug it up and planted a small seedling to graft on after it having fruits. The rootstock from FL is kind of weird: Peach Cobbler and Lancetilla are 11 ft tall while Maha only 24".

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dig up and throw away 7 yrs old grafted mango tree
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 08:23:33 PM »
Maha looks severely rootbound. Is that a U shaped taproot?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »
Maha looks severely rootbound. Is that a U shaped taproot?

It's U shaped taproot -- it curved growing in the pot when young. I planed it as soon as I got the potted tree. I don't think it had root bound issue, but a very slow, and whippy branches is the main issue. Nobody want a tomato vine mango crawling on ground.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
The same with Iman Pasand grafted on turpentine rootstock growing in SoCal. 

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
Why do you think it was so slow/unhealthy?
Cheers!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
For what its worth, I worked in a citrus nursery for a short time and when we up potted our seedling rootstock we had to throw out any seedlings that had J shaped roots. I was told that they would never grow properly out in the field. It looks like this mango had that same issue.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:08 PM »
For what its worth, I worked in a citrus nursery for a short time and when we up potted our seedling rootstock we had to throw out any seedlings that had J shaped roots. I was told that they would never grow properly out in the field. It looks like this mango had that same issue.
Oh no my seedling has this shaped root
It does fine though
Cheers!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 01:13:53 AM »
A couple issues, Florida rootstock in California and that location with the aidewalk/driveway and the house could very well be a major contributing factor why it never "took off" and grew.
- Rob

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 01:25:40 AM »
I thought high pH from the bricks and pavers matches Fl soil perfectly.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 01:37:09 PM »
It could just be that particular rootstock was not vigorous or it’s because of the specific rootstock and scion influences on each other. Specifically, more vigorous scion varieties appear to pair better with the Florida Turpentine rootstock.

Just off my memory, the following varieties have done well on Florida Turpentine rootstock:
Edward, Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, PPK, Sweet Tart, Venus, K3, VP, ValCarrie, Harvest Moon and a bunch more of the vigorous varieties.

Often, these trees will still be very droopy so they will grow vigorously and then with each additional flush, the branches start to droop from the weight of the previous flush or bloom.

If you already have a Florida tree, just make sure you stake up the scaffolding branches pre-bloom because it is the weight of the blooms that causes the majority of the drooping.

The branches holding fruit will naturally droop and every year, a maintenance pruning to remove old dried blooms, crossing and inward pointing branches along with removal of branches dropping toward the ground will help you achieve a healthier and better shaped tree.
Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
Several good comments above.

Also, did you prune circling roots when you removed the rootball from the pot?
Har

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »

Mango seedling has very long tap root, and so all potted seedlings will have J shape roots no if or but.

I don't think the J root is the problem, but the compatibility of scion and rootstock growing in SoCal weather causing this slow growing.

I have Maha grafted on Home Depot seedling and they grow quite vigorously.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »
A couple issues, Florida rootstock in California and that location with the aidewalk/driveway and the house could very well be a major contributing factor why it never "took off" and grew.

For comparison, here are two other trees that were planted even closer to the house wall -- less than 6" from the wall:
1) Glenn grafted on turpentine rootstock doing very well, but I don't like the fruit taste and so top off the head and grafted Maha , Edward, and Okrung Tong on Glenn branches

2) Here is a kent seedling rootstock with Maha, Alphonso grafted on.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:35:51 PM by sapote »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »
That is ridiculous to plant a tree that close to your house.
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »
That is ridiculous to plant a tree that close to your house.

Believe it or not, this is how I read the advices from California Rare Fruit Growing article of how to grow mango in California, for the heat in the winter. In our climate I'm not afraid of the giant mango tree eating up my house.

I wouldn't plant a white sapote like this.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 09:22:54 PM »

Believe it or not, this is how I read the advices from California Rare Fruit Growing article of how to grow mango in California, for the heat in the winter. In our climate I'm not afraid of the giant mango tree eating up my house.

I wouldn't plant a white sapote like this.

The house heat factor in 9a or 9b might be something to consider but in 10a..? Might as well have planted soursops there and put those the mangos further out..

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »
Say what? I was under the impression all these big citrus propagators use rooted cuttings as rootstocks for more consistency?? Sure seedling have stronger roots but less overall consistency..?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
Say what? I was under the impression all these big citrus propagators use rooted cuttings as rootstocks for more consistency?? Sure seedling have stronger roots but less overall consistency..?

The citrus industry largely uses seedlings for rootstock unless the selected rootstock is new and there is not enough seed to go around. Part of this is because that is what growers prefer and part of it is because it requires less labor (no need to set up special mist beds). Consistency has not been an issue to my knowledge. The varieties used for rootstock are highly polyembryonic and probably have 98% or higher probability of being true to type. In addition to checking for deformed roots, we also rouged "off types." The grower I worked for has probably grown close to 1,000,000 trees by now and has a reputation for producing a quality product. I value his input highly.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 12:20:56 AM »
The house heat factor in 9a or 9b might be something to consider but in 10a..? Might as well have planted soursops there and put those the mangos further out..

I love to have a soursop but it was too cold and they all died; same for Jackfruits. I can't even have sugar apple. My sister house 55 miles away in Zip code 92704 has a larger Jackfruit, sugar apple, and a giant Royal Poinciana. I had tried and these all died in the winters.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 08:51:15 AM »

The citrus industry largely uses seedlings for rootstock unless the selected rootstock is new and there is not enough seed to go around. Part of this is because that is what growers prefer and part of it is because it requires less labor (no need to set up special mist beds). Consistency has not been an issue to my knowledge. The varieties used for rootstock are highly polyembryonic and probably have 98% or higher probability of being true to type. In addition to checking for deformed roots, we also rouged "off types." The grower I worked for has probably grown close to 1,000,000 trees by now and has a reputation for producing a quality product. I value his input highly.
Wow okay that’s  quite interesting. What were these common rootstocks? Just thing like sour orange, swingler citrange/citrumellos, volkomer and rough lemons? Or am I missing something
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:53:19 AM by 850FL »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 09:01:32 AM »

I love to have a soursop but it was too cold and they all died; same for Jackfruits. I can't even have sugar apple. My sister house 55 miles away in Zip code 92704 has a larger Jackfruit, sugar apple, and a giant Royal Poinciana. I had tried and these all died in the winters.

Does it freeze very often in your 10a environment? I’ve had quite a few 1-3 gallon soursops take multiple light frosts, and not really protected much either, before they defoliated.. but didn’t die (brought em inside after that).. that happened both last year and this year after 5 light frosts of 30-32.. and if I i recall correctly 10a hardly freezes at all and really nothing under 30ish? And jackfruit is consistently grown in zone 10, and it’s even a few degrees hardier than soursop (which I admit start to dwindle even in the upper 30s, jackfruit and sugar apples ain’t even that much of a wuss..) basically what I’m saying is this doesn’t seem to add up.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
Also I have seen a lot of nursery saplings get strangled by their plastic grafting tape and support stake tapes. Perhaps that happened near the graft union of your lil Maha which slowed its growth way down?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Yah that's really close to the house. Could cause foundation issues as the tree gets older. Planting close to the home is good for cold protection, but staying a few feet away from the foundation / walls will also protect your home.
Jeff  :-)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
Yah that's really close to the house. Could cause foundation issues as the tree gets older. Planting close to the home is good for cold protection, but staying a few feet away from the foundation / walls will also protect your home.

My old landscape boss build a cabin around 2 magnolias. With them sticking through the roof

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »

I have a soursop planted close to my home for cold protection (2.5 feet away), of course I never thought about the foundation! Are soursop roots a problem as well?  I have a house built on a slab with no basement.