Author Topic: Goji berry dropping flowers?  (Read 1110 times)

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Goji berry dropping flowers?
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
We bought a thriving goji berry plant from Echo a couple of weeks ago, it had lots of flowers and continued blooming when we brought it in. Was kept in dappled shade/morning sun and regularly watered and in the same pot we brought the plant in. Was probably fertilized by Echo before so we did not give any fertilizers. It dropped all the flowers, even the ones that opened here already after bringing in - some leaves, too. What happened? Do they grow in zone 10b? Any suggestions from experienced growers?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Goji berry dropping flowers?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »
Well... Goji berry is a temperate fruit as it survives the winters here. The plant might drop flowers since it is small. It probably doesn't like the heat.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
Well... Goji berry is a temperate fruit as it survives the winters here. The plant might drop flowers since it is small. It probably doesn't like the heat.

Thanks. It should be the heat then. Cherimoyas i started for rootstock have done the same. Will it leaf up in winter again? Was hoping to keep it happy in acidic soil mix in a larger container. Now i am debating whether it is worth the time and effort to grow them here in Miami.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »
I honestly don't see a reason to grow it...other than being a superfood, it tastes like tomatoes imo. I do think it will leaf up when the weather cools down.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
Yes, growimg for superfood, the dried ones are nice addition when we make granola and cookies at home. But i guess the plant has to be older and much bushier to produce such significant amount of berries for daily use.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
When the tree gets older, it will love heat. We have one in the ground, about 10 years old. On summer it gets 12 hours of sun. Even without water and fertilizer, it still produces bunch of berries each season. Very drought tolerant, we don't water it in the heat wave here and it does fine. We don't like the berry though, so we let the birds eat them all.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 11:20:18 PM »
Mine do just fine in full sun. 1st year in ground. another in pot doing fine.
It will defoliate and go dormant in the winter.

We get 110+ here in the summer and will be 110 again this week...
Let it root out and it should do fine. They taste like crap to me but im going to try drying them this year. Also started black goji from seed and will see how that is.
-Kris

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Like most fruits and vegetables different kinds taste totally different.
There may be a goji you find delicious.
I honestly don't see a reason to grow it...other than being a superfood, it tastes like tomatoes imo. I do think it will leaf up when the weather cools down.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 12:01:58 PM »
When the tree gets older, it will love heat. We have one in the ground, about 10 years old. On summer it gets 12 hours of sun. Even without water and fertilizer, it still produces bunch of berries each season. Very drought tolerant, we don't water it in the heat wave here and it does fine. We don't like the berry though, so we let the birds eat them all.

Sounds great! Thanks a lot for the info. Our favorite style of gardening, no watering and no fertilization, LOL
We recently made kimchi with the berries, it tastes amazing in sour preparations and adds nutrients, great way to utilize the berry if you don't like the plain taste.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
I wish the birds liked mine. Would be a nice distraction from the rest of the yard.
-Kris

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »
I wish the birds liked mine. Would be a nice distraction from the rest of the yard.

-Kris