Author Topic: Root Grafting?  (Read 2912 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Root Grafting?
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
While looking for information on grafts for mango, I came across a diagram of a so called "Root Graft".

It shows a seedling that it removed from the soil, then replanted, so that the roots are exposed at the top, ( above ground ) also this is planted in such a way that the main stem is close to the edge of the container.

the rest of the process is similar to an approach graft,  but instead the union is at the exposed roots.

Has anyone tried this, or have seen it done before?  do you have any additional details?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Root Grafting?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
http://dokmaidogma.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/how-to-graft-mango-2-silvania-grafting/
That's like an approach graft where the rootstock is decapitated.

Thanks for the link Bangkok that is an interesting one.

Fyliu, Indeed it is some kind of approach graft.I think this is what is also known as inarching. Pretty much used in SE Asia on many species including durian, carambola and possibly any other specie allowing its tap root to be removed...

i don't think this has anyhting to do with what tropicdude is mentioning though. Rootgraft  would rather make me think of something like the inverted root graft
Samuel
Reunion Island

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
That site describes "Sivania grafting" and has this to say:

The term root grafting often refers to a scion being grafted onto a root. The technique I am about to describe here is quite different, which is why we use another name.

The root graft is done just like a traditional approach graft but the union is at the roots.  this is where I saw the image:

http://books.google.com.do/books?id=oloEhPYqE8QC&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=Mango+saddle+graft&source=bl&ots=nn-3voVO6R&sig=MeQ6u0P8vFXcX6qRQFDhesWJbE8&hl=es-419&sa=X&ei=D0wJUZvEEYjS9ASLtIGACQ&ved=0CCwQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=Mango%20saddle%20graft&f=falseved=0CCwQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=Mango%20saddle%20graft&f=false[/url]

The rootstock top is cut off after the graft has taken.  it would seem to me that this may have the benefits of an epicotyl ( stone ) graft and the benefits of an approach graft.

I came across this, when searching for mango saddle grafts,  I wanted to find out if saddle grafts have the same success rate than wedge,  I see one big advantage using saddle graft, I will explain,

If I am given a single scion, that is not that big, I really only have one chance to make the cut right, because there is just not enough material there.  but in a saddle graft, the wedge cuts are done on the rootstock, so if the first try doesn't come out just right one can just do it again,  and even again

On the scion all your going to do is put a slit, your not cutting the scion shorter.

As for the root graft, I wonder if there is any other benefit to graft onto root surface maybe highers success rate? 

Such a low graft should make the tree more dwarf like also.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:57:36 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »
I've also heard the same advantage of a saddle graft: you basically get to keep more buds on the scion.

Mango grafters in San Diego prefer saddle grafts for this reason. Success rate should be the same as cleft. Just put a plastic bag over the graft for moisture and also another paper bag and ventilation if the location gets too much sun.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
I've also heard the same advantage of a saddle graft: you basically get to keep more buds on the scion.

Mango grafters in San Diego prefer saddle grafts for this reason. Success rate should be the same as cleft. Just put a plastic bag over the graft for moisture and also another paper bag and ventilation if the location gets too much sun.

I kept searching and found more info on the root graft here:
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/CaringForTrees/RootGrafting9-91.htm

I will try this one this year, look at the picture of embedding roots right into the scion, that's so weird.
William

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
I just did 6 of these. I'm not sure of the roots were still alive but I already cut the scions and roots so there's nothing to lose. The scions have green cambium but the roots have light brown bark and cambium. We'll see how well it goes. If they all fail I'll have to say the roots were dead in the first place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk