Author Topic: New Courtyard  (Read 3555 times)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
New Courtyard
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
I have a courtyard in between my house and my garage/storage area. It was a screened patio and the previous owner tiled over 4" concrete. Needless to say, in Florida, every 2-3 weeks I had to pressure wash the tile to keep mildew from growing. This got old, quickly...not only the pressure washing, but the fact that every time I pressure washed I was inhaling aerosolized water/fungal particles. Yuck! So I eventually gave up and let the area "win." It became unbearable, and I didn't even want to open my windows because of the growing mildew/mold. So finally I got motivated, had a guy with a Bobcat rip out the concrete, tile and screen house, and then I brought in 9 yards of potting soil/fill/mushroom compost. I trenched around the house (18"-2' down and put in anti-termite treatment) , hung gutters, fixed dry-rot damage around the outside doors, painted the area in happy colors, planted it out and mulched it (50 bags of mulch). Since I live in a borderline-too cold-for mangos locale, I thought this courtyard would afford some protection for 2 mango trees. So months ago I drove down to Excalibur (3 1/2 hour drive) and bought 4 Maha Chanok trees (I kept two, gave one to my father, and gave one as a housewarming gift to a mango-loving friend south of me). Rob was our gracious host. I wanted a variety that would be slow growing, somewhat on the small side and pretty. I love the picture that HMHausman posted of his smallish Maha bejeweled with beautiful fruit (a search on Google images of Maha Chanok/Chinook will turn up this photo). The only downside to this project is that the yellow paint makes the rest of my house looks dull and old (needs to be painted). Sooo...that is my next project! I will pick a toned down color for the house though! I've posted before and after pics. The tree behind the courtyard is a Mauritius lychee.  One wall of the courtyard is western-facing, so I had to put in some sun loving plants. The other wall is eastern-facing, so I planted more lush tropicals. Most everything is perennials.  I realize I will eventually have mango trees dropping leaves on my roof, but my house is surrounded by 30 huge oaks that rain litter down non-stop, so a twice a month gutter cleaning is already in my schedule!

Yes, it was this bad. Almost everything on the ground is mildew. It loves tile in FL. I bleached it 1 time, the water ran into my backyard and killed the plants on the oustide of the screened patio. Plus, when this tile would get wet it was slick like ice. No good...

Trenching before termite application

Dumptruck delivering soil

Same vantage point as the 1st photo ("yes it was this bad")

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:02:21 AM by BluePalm »
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: New Courtyard
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »
Wow - that's awesome! I love the bright colors, and it will be so much fun to watch your new trees grow. Thanks for sharing the great before and after pics.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
looks very nice!!! and protected!

thanks for sharing!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Next time you can use something like this product  http://www.nanoshell.co.uk/protective-coatings/stone-sealer

This makes stones waterresistant but there are many more products like this. Works very well! After the flooding here i could spray the stonestrips on the walls with high pressure and they were like new.
I treated all the stones around my house with it and after the rain the garden is dry in short time so mosquito;s go to the neighbours ;D and no funghi's are growing on stones.

Your garden looks much better now and if you see mango's out of your window then you know why you did all this work..

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »
Never leave surfaces where you can slip and fracture a leg or ankle or a visitor will and sue you. You did a great job getting rid of a mold generator so now you have greenery and fruit trees and insect life where once you had cold stone. You left nothing to chance by bringing in a truckload of topsoil.

Well done!

You could put in two muscadine grape vines with the trellis spanning the two roofs.  Ison's black is a good variety I have and three others. You could even make a shade trellis that would be cool to sit under in the summer but it is hard for me to tell if you have enough space. Good place to put a BBQ grill too under a grape trellis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:42:07 PM by zands »

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:05 PM »
Very nice on many levels!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
Great Job!
Now I need a nap thinking about all that hard work you did!
Had you considered leaving the enclosure up to use like a green house until the trees got big? It looked like you could have rolled some type of plastic over the screen in the cold months.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
Wow BP, great job, what a difference!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »
Hi BluePalm,
You done an excellent job...your new courtyard looks freak'n awesome, well planted and alive with the colour of the house 8) In a few short years...you will harvest mangoes through the windows ;D

Thanks for sharing!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Wow!! I love it bluepalm...its nice to see you! Haven't seen you here in a while.

You did an outstanding job and your mango trees should do well between those protected walls.!

Thanks for posting!!

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
Thank you for the kind words everyone. Picking mangos from the windows, lol! I can't wait to do that!!
Marin: I took down the screen because the whole assembly was old and kind of nasty. I figured if it gets really cold I'll run a tarp across the end of the courtyard and block it off. Hopefully the walls will give enough radiant heat to protect the mango trees.  I'm going to put in two chairs and little table so I can go out there and drink my coffee.  When we were painting the walls and looking at the vibrant yellow (for hours), we looked up and the sky was the most beautiful blue we had ever seen. We were debating if it was because we had been staring at yellow for so long, or if it was truly beautiful. We think it was a combo of both.  :o
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »
Great improvement!  Looks like a lot of work, and in the end, well worth the effort.  I like the yellow! :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
Smart idea. You could probably even put a mangosteen in there :-).

Excalibur sure hit the jackpot with those maha chanook trees, didn't they. Pretty nutty how one guy with a backyard mango orchard in Davie is responsible for hundreds (thousands?) of maha chanook trees being planted all across the nation :-).
Jeff  :-)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
I had just been thinking you needed a place to it out there. A little table and chairs will be awesome!

My mangos next to just one wall of my house get n amazing amount of radiant heat. This courtyard should be excellent for cold protection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk