Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 180068 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »
I’ve seen multiple examples of people letting their trees hold too much fruit when young and many of the trees have died. If you fertilize properly and don’t overwater in Winter, the tree can easily survive.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
I’ve seen multiple examples of people letting their trees hold too much fruit when young and many of the trees have died. If you fertilize properly and don’t overwater in Winter, the tree can easily survive.

Simon

I concur 100%.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »
Don't Let young mango trees hold fruit. Most people want immediate gratification but success is for those that are tolerant and willing to wait.

In California, we have slow and poor growth as it is why give the young tree early stress of production? 

Be Patient. So many impatient growers.

Johnny

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 11, 2019, 01:07:46 AM »
Don't Let young mango trees hold fruit. Most people want immediate gratification but success is for those that are tolerant and willing to wait.

In California, we have slow and poor growth as it is why give the young tree early stress of production? 

Be Patient. So many impatient growers.

Johnny

I like to keep my trees small by letting them fruit and high possibility of them gettng stunted.

We shall see, im conducting an experiment on nutrients based on plant needs.

I'll post photos when i harvest all my fruits & on late fall.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
No caption needed. 😂

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2019, 09:32:45 PM »
IMO mangoes do exceptionally well during summer in Southern California whether in pots or in ground regardless of rootstock. It is the week long low 30s that get them. Here are my M4 in ground and buttercream in pot  exploding  :) They were originally in 3 gallon planted early June.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
Yes, all Mangos should be exploding with growth at this time of year regardless of rootstock. If you haven’t fertilized much yet, now is a good time to fertilize and push growth. No need to worry about excess Nitrogen inhibiting flower initiation in Winter. Now is a great time for minors and trace minerals as well, if it’s not already in your fertilizer.

If your tree is holding fruit, don’t give too much fertilizer at once, especially on hot days because your fruit can crack.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2019, 07:32:42 AM »
My Sweet Tart mango tree is finally flushing now. Last year in 2018 it only had one growth flush. Hopefully this year I will get two from this tree. Time will tell.

Sweet Tart Mango Tree (8-13-2019)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
Excellent looking Sweet Tart tree! I love how bushy it is on top. Sweet Tart even performs great on Florida rootstock. You should be getting fruit on it soon. Please keep us updated on the progress of your beautiful tree.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 16, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
My sweet tart on who knows what rootstock from brokaw looked good for a few years but looks terrible after this winter.  The 2 year old ST seedling looks better. 

Manilla seedlng

Sweet tart seedling

Taralay from florida.  This tree has been through a few winters and still looks erect and healthy.  It may be a good one for so cal.

Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 16, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
While checking out the new growth on my Choc Anon tree from Florida (presumably grafted on Turpentine rootsock), I noticed the branches are drooping over instead of standing erect.  Is this the infamous drooping phenomenon that we observe with some mango varietals on turpentine in SoCA?  Or is there something else of which I should be concerned?  This is the third growth flush from this mango in ground, but the first that I have observed this behavior.  Unlike the other ~20 in-ground mangos, it looks like I am getting some flower panicles shooting on a couple branches as well.  Choc Anon doing its thing?

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 16, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »
SHV ,looks like typical droopy growth. Stop wasting time buying Florida rootstock trees especially if you are going to plant in-ground. My bet is that plant will just about stay that height in 2 years or wither away and die.....just being real with you!!!
Grow rootstock from a good mango seed or purchase a manila mango and graft onto it later.
Do your research on these boards you will find that not many people have success with Turpentine rootstock from FL.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 16, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
Yup, that’s the typical droopy growth. You can stake up all the branches but you’ll need a lot of stakes.

Like Mangomaniac12 suggested, it’s best to plant some seedlings and top work them once they get large.

Simon

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I discovered this forum a bit late in the game, after several Florida trees were already purchased, struggled with, killed a couple, then searched online for guidance.   After spending more hours than I care to admit reading old threads, discovering how easy it was to graft, I planted several Home Depot specials (Manila) as well as other seedlings of various mango varieties acquired from Exotica last year. The seedlings were fairly priced and have grown gangbusters  since planted. The difference in growth compared to Florida grafts is shocking. I’m letting them establish strong root systems this year, then plan to graft next year.  I have already grafted some older seedlings that have traveled with me from a previous residence.  My FL grafts that appear to be fairly robust are Peach Cobbler, Pineapple pleasure, cotton Candy and Sweet Tart. I lost a Madam Francis, Lancetilla, and Fruit Punch.
My newest mango playground project includes 20 Ataulfo seedlings (planted today) and another 10 Kent seedlings (tomorrow) planted on my unused backhill. Hopefully they survive the gophers, rabbits, deer, winter chill, and every other obstacle we face in SD county backcountry.

MotherofDragons

• US, Inland Empire, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
Excellent thread, so much information!! What I didn’t see asked yet is when is the best time to source seeds? I’m not familiar with the ripening times. There are a few local sales of mango trees coming up that I had hoped to buy a tree at. I had bookmarked this thread a while back and came back to read it all the way through. Now I am thinking of skipping both sales. The question is, am I late to the game to find quality variety polyembrionic seeds right now? I planted a store bought Keitt seed yesterday, but would love to source LZ, St, and others if possible.
It's always a good day when you get to plant a tree.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
Excellent thread, so much information!! What I didn’t see asked yet is when is the best time to source seeds? I’m not familiar with the ripening times. There are a few local sales of mango trees coming up that I had hoped to buy a tree at. I had bookmarked this thread a while back and came back to read it all the way through. Now I am thinking of skipping both sales. The question is, am I late to the game to find quality variety polyembrionic seeds right now? I planted a store bought Keitt seed yesterday, but would love to source LZ, St, and others if possible.

I don't believe there are any out of state growers of new Zill varieties that ship fruit to our state. It's too late for seed, as the season for any but the ultra-late is over (Keitt,Neelam).

Our season begins about now until February or so. I don't believe any in state growers are selling their fruit though. You may get lucky on seed.

There are many here living in similar areas to you specifically who have had excellent results with the turpentine rootstock on the varieties you are specifically interested in. I wouldn't be discouraged, you can always in-arch later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:00:48 PM by Oolie »

MotherofDragons

• US, Inland Empire, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
Thank you. From my understanding shipping fruit into CA is a no-no. I strictly would only be looking for seed. I imagine due to the popularity of this thread and others (like the scion threads in BST)that we have at least a handful of CA growers who grow the Zill varieties. I was hoping one of them might have some seed for sale. I will just get some store bought ones for now and try my luck with those. I will also make a note on my calendar for next year; thanks for clueing me in on the mango season timing!
It's always a good day when you get to plant a tree.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
No worries, gotta start somewhere, and from what I've read, the sooner you get seed in the ground the better.

It's actually legal to ship fruit into California, as long as it has been treated for fruit fly larvae. Which really isn't economical for most growers.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Thank you. From my understanding shipping fruit into CA is a no-no. I strictly would only be looking for seed. I imagine due to the popularity of this thread and others (like the scion threads in BST)that we have at least a handful of CA growers who grow the Zill varieties. I was hoping one of them might have some seed for sale. I will just get some store bought ones for now and try my luck with those. I will also make a note on my calendar for next year; thanks for clueing me in on the mango season timing!

Looks like you may still be in luck, as there is a Zill variety that fruits in September (in SFL).

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/zill-m-4

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2019, 09:16:51 PM »

I actually don’t recommend LZ right now because it can have severe production and fungal issues. Also, I noticed that Kent, Haden and Tommy Atkins seems to perform better as a rootstock compared to Kent but that’s just at my location. As long as it’s growing well, it should make a good rootstock.

Florida Mangos May not be available but it’s worth a shot posting on the buy/sell forum for seeds. I believe the Florida season is pretty much over however.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »

I don't believe there are any out of state growers of new Zill varieties that ship fruit to our state. It's too late for seed, as the season for any but the ultra-late is over (Keitt,Neelam).

Our season begins about now until February or so. I don't believe any in state growers are selling their fruit though. You may get lucky on seed.

There are many here who have had excellent results with the turpentine rootstock. I wouldn't be discouraged, you can always in-arch later.

Actually, there aren’t a lot of people that have had excellent results with (Florida) Turpentine rootstock trees. The people that have good results with them are generally more skilled and live in areas with more heat.

I have a thread or two on this forum and I have done some detective work and tracked down many of the people that claimed to have success with Florida Turpentine rootstock trees and after about two to three years, many of the trees were dead. I interviewed approximately 30 members, many of which had 10+ Florida Turpentine rootstock trees and was absolutely shocked at the death rate.

Yes, some vigorous varieties like VP, Sweet Tart, LZ will grow fine, even excellent on Florida Turpentine rootstock but try to grow a less vigorous variety or one that isn’t so disease resistant and you will find that they don’t grow well here.

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
True enough, my statement did not include appropriate hedging.

Most people live closer to the coast than MoD.

But MoD lives in the Inland Empire where it is very hot and dry, and the varieties she specifically mentioned are in the group which have shown to do well on Turpentine.

My advice in that post should be viewed as specific to the reader quoted, and I will edit it to clarify.

Sandiegojane

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2019, 07:23:44 AM »
Simon,

This is a great thread and I've learned a lot about the mango tree I just purchased.  I do have a question about flowering and temperature in young trees.  If flowering is preventing vegetative growth and flowering continues until the temperature reaches a certain minimum temperature, has anyone tried using an external heat source, like incandescent Christmas tree lights, at least during the weeks or months before the average night time lows approach the temperature that suppresses flowering? Might that inhibit re-flowering and allow the young trees to put out more flushes? 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 31, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
To grow rootstock in SoCal I just use Kent bought from stores during summer. After eating the fruit (be careful don't bite off the young protruding root that may be out of the seed) I clean flesh off the seed a bit just so not many rolly polly bugs attracted to and might chew off the new growths. I placed the seed with husk (I used to remove the husk but now I prefer to keep the husk which protect the seed and keeps it moist) untouched  directly on top of the soil where I want a mango tree, and cover the seed 1 to 2" with kitchen green trash to keep it moist and protected from strong sun. Keep the pile moist and soon a very healthy big leaves seedling sent out. With seedling trunk still green it loves water daily. But once the seedling is 24" tall and the trunk with thicker brown bark, be careful not to water the soil wet all the time because the constant wet soil will have fungus attack the brown trunk and kill the handsome young tree. It happened to me a few times and I learned from that.

Don't even think about grafting until the seedling carries fruits, then I just perform the modified Walter Zill Inlay graft (coffin in grave) on the 1" or bigger branches, then I can have fruits next year on a one year old graft. From seed to graft fruit took about 3 to 4 years but this is the best way to have a strong well developed tree for more fruits in the future.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 31, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
Hey Sandiegojane,

Welcome to the forum! I have never tried external heat sources for outdoor Mangos but I was able to inhibit flowering and promote a vegetative flush in winter with grafted trees moved into my garage and supplemented with bottom heat via large seedling heat mats and artificial lighting.

In this thread, I have previously mentioned that planting seeds from Polyembryonic varieties like Sweet Tart, may be a good way of growing mango trees in marginal climate areas. By growing seedlings which lack the mature, florigenic hormones, the tree will grow vegetatively for several years before flowering.

Early flowering causes droopiness in the branches due to the weight of the flower panicles and droopiness of branches exposes the branches to the sun which can lead to sunburn.

The issue with planting seedlings from Polyembryonic varieties is that you won’t know for sure wether you are planting the clone or the zygotic seedling. Not all seeds from Polyembryonic Mangos will give you multiple seedlings and sometimes you will get multiple sprouts from the same segment of a seed.

In order to get a better chance at selecting a clone, you will want to ensure you get at least two sprouts from different segments of the seed making sure each seedling has its own individual root system. If you plant out both the seedlings, there is a better chance of getting a clone.

This year, I am doing a little experiment where I grafted a mango tree with multiple “true Sweet Tart” scions along with scions from Sweet Tart seedlings. I expect the branches grafted with true Sweet Tart scions to flower this year or next but I’m hoping the seedling scions will be delayed in their flowering.

If there is any noticeable difference in the time it takes for first blooms to appear between the mature scions vs the seedling scions, I may be able to graft up trees that will grow slightly better due to delayed flowering/increased vegetative growth.

The rootstock tree has flowered before so I consider it mature rootstock even though the rootstock tree was only about 2-3 feet tall when I topworked it.

This rootstock tree is the same tree as my Double Stone Graft Lemon Zest but one rootstock died so it is a single rootstock tree now. I topworked 15 branches with mostly true Sweet Tart scions but I also added Peach Cobbler, Cotton Candy, PPK, Orange Sherbet Seedling #1, Sweet Tart Seedling #1 and Sweet Tart Seedling #2. This tree was originally Lemon Zest so there are a couple true Lemon Zest branches on this tree and all the grafts are grafted onto Lemon Zest as an interstock between the rootstock and Scions.

This tree was grafted on 9/19/19 and 14 of the 15 grafts have pushed and the last graft is still green but we are about to hit our cold weather so it’s not looking good for it. I reached a low of 44F early this morning.

Simon