Author Topic: mango scionwood wanted  (Read 2916 times)

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
mango scionwood wanted
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:23 AM »
Looking for mango scion wood in the SW Florida area. I am starting a farm and would like to grow a variety of mangoes not common on the market.

Can trade sugar cane cuttings, have many heirloom varieties including Asian black, home green, LA green, FL red, Yue tang, and more.

thanks,
Luke
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: mango scionwood wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:03:29 PM »
pm sent
George

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
What are you grafting onto?

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
I have a couple hundred turpentine and #11 mango currently germinating im grafting to.
 planning on planting these on my farm.

www.greenplanetfarm.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »
I have a couple hundred turpentine and #11 mango currently germinating im grafting to.
 planning on planting these on my farm.

So when do you think you will be doing the grafting? I have scions right now but I don't think you are ready for them.

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
Ive staggered my rootstock seed plantings over a 2 week period. My fist seedling will be ready by Monday. I hoping to start grafting early next week. im planning on grafting them while there in that succulent copper leaf stage still pulling energy from the seed.

I will also perform double stone (2 rootsocks grafts) onto 1 scion.

Ill send you a PM zands.

www.greenplanetfarm.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:54 AM »

I will also perform double stone (2 rootsocks grafts) onto 1 scion

Not sure why you would bother doing this with Turpentine in South Florida. ...
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »

I will also perform double stone (2 rootsocks grafts) onto 1 scion

Not sure why you would bother doing this with Turpentine in South Florida. ...

It's not necessary in socal  either unless your rootstock is on turpentine and you want to play it safe.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »
If the Double rootstock tree takes, you can have a more productive tree that is shorter in stature and less prone to alternate bearing. I have posted links in my Double Stone Graft thread and this technique has been used in India, Phillipines, Isreal and Australia.

I do not believe there is anyone with good information about the use of this technology in the USA yet but it is well worth the time to experiment with at least a few trees.

There is one member of this forum that has a DSGed tree in Florida and he reported to me that he got accelerated growth and his tree actually tried to hold fruit the first year which is a bad thing in my opinion but shows that the double rootstocks will promote precocity.

I would like to see any data there is that shows multiple rootstocks will not grow better than a single rootstock. You guys must have a lot more data than I have. Please share your findings, so far my experiments have shown accelerated growth with shorter internodes and a bushier growth habit.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »
If the Double rootstock tree takes, you can have a more productive tree that is shorter in stature and less prone to alternate bearing. I have posted links in my Double Stone Graft thread and this technique has been used in India, Phillipines, Isreal and Australia.

I do not believe there is anyone with good information about the use of this technology in the USA yet but it is well worth the time to experiment with at least a few trees.

There is one member of this forum that has a DSGed tree in Florida and he reported to me that he got accelerated growth and his tree actually tried to hold fruit the first year which is a bad thing in my opinion but shows that the double rootstocks will promote precocity.

I would like to see any data there is that shows multiple rootstocks will not grow better than a single rootstock. You guys must have a lot more data than I have. Please share your findings, so far my experiments have shown accelerated growth with shorter internodes and a bushier growth habit.

Simon
actually you are our source for DSG and your data is promising.,,,made a believer out of me.