Author Topic: First Mangos of 2018  (Read 18265 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: First Mangos of 2018
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
For those with ripe mangoes...is flavor washed out with all the rain in May in south Florida?
always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
Bumping this... should we have any concerns with the predicted 8 or so inches of rain over the next couple days ..with mangoes a couple weeks from harvest ready ?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:52:09 PM by zands »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
Just got back from a cruise today and found a few lemon zest fallen from the tree (heavily affected by fungus) in addition to 1 rosigold and 1 angie ready to pick. Hopefully they'll be salvageable.

The lychees are at their peak - we were worried the birds/critters would have demolished the tree while we were gone. They took a lot, but we still get a nice harvest.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »
Bumping this... should we have any concerns with the predicted 8 or so inches of rain over the next couple days ..with mangoes a couple weeks from harvest ready ?

So far my FL mangoes haven’t been close to noteworthy.  LZ from MangoMen was amazingly bland.  Picked early?  Rain? Both?  I don’t think I can bring myself to eat another one. Definitely don’t want to share and given others such a bad impression. PPK has been ‘ok’. It’s such a good Mango even washed out its tastes ok. Dupuis Saigon from Squam was also among the better fruit.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
My Glenn’s are falling off every day at the rate of 5-10. And I can ID another 2-4 ripening on the tree every day. This is 1 month early. They are 3/4 sized and delicious. And my friend with a Glenn has the exact same thing happening. Zero have fallen from my other varieties. As far as washout of flavors, we just went through a 3 month drought so if ones flavors are lacking it can’t be the current rains. Throughout the drought I kept my trees hydrated yet when I had to dig up 2 because I broke sprinkler pipes with a support pole, the soil below was way too dry.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
The only mango that was near good status for it's particular species was the Florigon. I'm guessing since it did not require just a sweet taste but instead the citrus mango combo taste.

My Glens have just started and my Rosigold have not produced anything but drops/small rots in my yard. The best Glen I had was today so maybe a little longer, maybe more heat, sun, etc. to get some sweetness. The Glen today did have the typical nice Glen smell, it was still lacking in the normal Glen taste & sweetness.

My Mauritus lychee has been very good with a sweet & tart taste regardless of the rainy weather & i'm wondering if it is like the Florigon mango having more than just a sweetness profile might be helpful in increasing fruit taste in rainy seasons.  So I was wondering what type lychee savemejebus has and is it good during the rainy weather? Then again, I think lychee can handle more rain than a mango & still be sweet. Sapodilla have also been sweet during the rainy weather.

On a side note, relatives just brought home a watermellon from the supermarket & it was excellant & very sweet. Hopefully all the stores in S. Florida got a good shipment, I believe they went to publix for this one in case you want to take the chance for sweetness... maybe it'll be worth the trip.

And I guess we all could just move to Squams, Weiss613, or gnappi & eat their mangos... & my one Florigon ripe fruit is gone...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:57:40 PM by palmcity »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
"LZ from MangoMen was amazingly bland.  Picked early?  Rain? Both?  I don’t think I can bring myself to eat another one."

I got a few LZ from Mango Men. Funny, because the ones I got started off being way too tart. And then, as they've ripened correctly, the taste has improved dramatically. Just finished one off. It was delicious.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
So I was wondering what type lychee savemejebus has and is it good during the rainy weather?

Mauritius. They are delicious this year. We picked a bunch before the cruise because we were worried they'd be gone by the time we got back. They were not fully ripe at that point and, while good, did not have the full lychee flavor. The ones we picked today were at the perfect ripeness and a full/deep red. Excellent flavor. Unfortunately, both of my sweetheart trees set a ton of flowers/fruit but everything fell off/aborted. So it's just one tree for us this year.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »
My Cogshall has given us about a dozen fruits so far.  Earliest it has ever produced.  From Cookie Monster's advice I've been quick to yank them off the tree at the first sign of being edible, due to past experience with jelly seed.  Seems to be the best approach.  Flavor has been very good and, so far at least, no soupy centers.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
Doing my best to protect the harvest this year - been saving strawberry clamshells for a couple years and also bought a box online of 500 more. Going to try clamshells and a pepper wax spray on the clamshells. Maybe between the two I can keep the squirrels and iguanas at bay.

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:52 AM »
Where do you buy the clamshells online?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
Where do you buy the clamshells online?

There's a bunch of places, but I bought from Berry Hill Drip:

https://www.berryhilldrip.com/Clamshell-Containers-Hinged-Tops-Sold-by-the-Case.-Clear-Plastic.html

(make sure you select the strawberry one - not the cherry tomato default)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
"LZ from MangoMen was amazingly bland.  Picked early?  Rain? Both?  I don’t think I can bring myself to eat another one."

I got a few LZ from Mango Men. Funny, because the ones I got started off being way too tart. And then, as they've ripened correctly, the taste has improved dramatically. Just finished one off. It was delicious.

Have you had this mango before?  I’ve worked through a dozen and not one was even 10% of the fruit’s potential. If this was my intro to LZ, I would never eat another one.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »

My Cogshall has been pretty active so far, with this almost 20 ounce beauty popping up yesterday.  Hidden away, I didn't see it until it was past prime pickin' time, and so the dreaded soupy center was evident.  Chopped it up, froze the pulp, and it'll make for a delicious smoothie.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
First Edwards coming in up in MI. I picked this batch a little early but still pretty good.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
Here was yesterday's spread.
Glenn, Cogshall, Carries(?)

Nothing to write home about, the Cogshall wins in  flavor, although there were some nice sections in the Carrie(?)

I was giving this Carrie type mango.
I'm not sure what it actually is (though it tasted a lot like Carrie)
The only noticeable difference I see is a slightly more developed "Julie beak"

Here is a picture next to an actual Carrie hanging on a tree.
(This are both on the smaller side of normal Carries I've eaten)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
Thus far everything has been totally washed out with Cogshall being the closest to having somewhat of flavor.

Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Angie, Cogshall, Rosigold, and Lemon Zest... all mehhh.

The most frustrating has been the couple very early LZ. Yiu can taste the faintest hint of a citrusy flavor and knowing it's therr under all that blandness is infuriating. Hopefully everything will start getting better.

Nothing ripening yet on Pickering, fruit punch, or coconut cream.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »

Nothing to write home about, the Cogshall wins in  flavor, although there were some nice sections in the Carrie(?)

Looks like a Graham, Which I thoroughly enjoy.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »

Looks like a Graham, Which I thoroughly enjoy.
Cool thanks. Never had one before

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
My first ripe mango of 2018 season was a Mahachanok. It was delicious - sweet and not at all washed out, despite all the rain we've had.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
First mangoes of the season. Had 4 Julies. Severely undersized. Enjoyable but still sub par for Julie. Mean brix was in the 17s. Just had an Ice Cream mango (most production I've seen since owning this tree). Custard like yellow flesh that was sweeet. Delicious mango. Brix was 19. Maha and Pickering to come.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
Pickering first up for me this season..a couple were bland the latest few I have picked were much sweeter (though not as full flavored as previous seasons).

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »

So far my FL mangoes haven’t been close to noteworthy.  LZ from MangoMen was amazingly bland.  Picked early?  Rain? Both?  I don’t think I can bring myself to eat another one. Definitely don’t want to share and given others such a bad impression. PPK has been ‘ok’. It’s such a good Mango even washed out its tastes ok. Dupuis Saigon from Squam was also among the better fruit.

Looks like you answered my question to my latest post.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2018, 11:00:20 AM »

First decent selection from my yard.

CAC needed a few more weeks on the tree but it was still up there with the best I had this year.