Author Topic: Anyone here from the Bay Area grows Cherimoyas?  (Read 11868 times)

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Anyone here from the Bay Area grows Cherimoyas?
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
I would like to know if I need to cover my cherimoya trees in the winter with frost blanket? I'm in zone 9B San Jose. Thanks

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here from the Bay Area grows Cherimoyas?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
I have no experience with San Jose, but knowing that people grow it there, I'd say it's fine if the tree is large and established. Definitely yes if in pots or first year. Even in SoCal, the first winter in ground is a critical time to protect them.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
I know folks who grow Cherimoyas in the San Jose area.  It does seem to depend where you are -- parts of San Jose get only mild frosts each year whereas other parts get pretty severe frosts.  In the milder areas, you can get away with leaving them uncovered when they are mature -- they'll be damaged but grow back just fine.  In the colder parts you do need to protect them every winter, but a blanket, sprinklers, or some lights should be enough most of the time.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
Cherimoyas are definitely doable in San Jose - in some areas you might not even need to protect them. I've had Booth, Pierce, and El Bumpo for 2 winters. Booth and Pierce succumbed last year while El Bumpo was unharmed. I didn't protect them in any way. This year I have 15 different varieties planted so I will get more data on which are the best for our climate.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »
Cherimoyas are definitely doable in San Jose - in some areas you might not even need to protect them. I've had Booth, Pierce, and El Bumpo for 2 winters. Booth and Pierce succumbed last year while El Bumpo was unharmed. I didn't protect them in any way. This year I have 15 different varieties planted so I will get more data on which are the best for our climate.

Nice job, could you share what types you are growing?  How large are they?  Pots or ground?
Brad Spaugh

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
I'm from San Jose. I got el bumpo, honey hart, m &n, vietnamese, fino de jete, and african pride (atemoya). Viet and fino are second years in the ground. others are older. None of them are cover during the winter. If you are worry, cover with frost cloth, not plastic for cherimoya.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:48:08 PM by raiders36 »

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »
I think we (Bay Area residents) should get together sometime to share our experience , may be form a group for group purchases from Florida

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
I think we (Bay Area residents) should get together sometime to share our experience , may be form a group for group purchases from Florida

If you haven't attended, you are most welcome to attend the Santa Clara or Golden Gate CRFG chapter meetings:

https://scvcrfg.wordpress.com/

http://www.crfg.org/chapters/golden_gate/index.htm

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Joe
Please share your results throuhtout the years as they fruit there is little data how far North cherimoyas can succeeded

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
For what it's worth, long time Redwood Empire CRFG member Florence Strange grew Cherimoyas in the hills of Petaluma:

http://www.crfg-redwood.org/july_newsletter.pdf

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »
Cherimoya survives in Contra Costa, Alameda, Solano, Marin, and Sonoma Counties, but not throughout the entire area.  Parts of those counties are too cold.  In my particular locality I can loose small cherimoyas, others do fine  I protect them less then other things though. 

Larger trees exist in Oakland and Berkeley I've been told.  I think the Florance Strange property also had a Jambolan I've been told.  I gave a friend a seedling Cherimoya who kept it in Santa Rosa which survived for a number of years.  It may still be alive, but I think it got burned back severely one year.   

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »

Nice job, could you share what types you are growing?  How large are they?  Pots or ground?

In ground I currently have Bays, Behl, Burton, Ecuador, Spain, El Bumpo, Fino de Jete, Pierce, Booth, M&N, Mark Lee, Honeyheart, Vietnamese. They range from 5' to 8' tall. I also have smaller Dr. White, JA and Santa Rosa in pots.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »

In ground I currently have Bays, Behl, Burton, Ecuador, Spain, El Bumpo, Fino de Jete, Pierce, Booth, M&N, Mark Lee, Honeyheart, Vietnamese. They range from 5' to 8' tall. I also have smaller Dr. White, JA and Santa Rosa in pots.

Vietnamese and Dr. White are the same thing.
- Rob

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
I brought home a few cherimoya seeds from fruit I bought  on my last trip to Barcelona, Spain.  What a flavor!!!    Got 2 to sprout at home and this year had my first fruit.  Still in pots and will go in the ground this fall.   One of the best tasting fruit in the world
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:33:12 PM by Bananimal »
Dan

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
If you got it in Spain, it's likely a Fino de Jete. It makes up the majority of the Spanish market.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 03:23:51 AM »
at my place here in redwood city, they grow like weeds.  In the winter, no need to cover, even the seedlings.

I found out that the more you try to cover and protect, the worst they will be, or end up dying due to the heat during the winter day.

So, it's better to not to cover, at lest in my area.  even longan and lychee seedlings don't need covering either.

Si Duong

• Hayward, Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 04:49:25 AM »
Joe
Please share your results throuhtout the years as they fruit there is little data how far North cherimoyas can succeeded

[I wanted to vote Joe Hewitt is the Leader of the group for the Bay Area growing exotic fruits. I've watched his video on youtube. He can help us for sure. quote]

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
Cherimoya fruits currently holding and some ripe now from El Bumpo, Licia, Spain, HoneyHart, Fino de Jete, .
Have about 17 ,15 Gallon Cherimoya tree's planted out in various locations. Ince Red, Chaffey, White , El Bumpo, Licia, Spain, HoneyHart, Fino de Jete, Boothe,
Atemoya, Dream , Lisa , and Priestley.
Ive yet to see frost damage on Cherimoya.

Barath, Do you know if there is Cherimoya planted out at Prusch Park?

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Good question -- I want to say yes there are some at Prusch Park, but I actually can't visualize in my mind where they are, so maybe not.  I've definitely never seen Cherimoya fruit at Prusch Park, so if they do have any trees, they aren't producing.

I am planting many of them on Ohlone Greenway, so there'll be a good source of Cherimoya scions for some time to come, I hope.

Cherimoya fruits currently holding and some ripe now from El Bumpo, Licia, Spain, HoneyHart, Fino de Jete, .
Have about 17 ,15 Gallon Cherimoya tree's planted out in various locations. Ince Red, Chaffey, White , El Bumpo, Licia, Spain, HoneyHart, Fino de Jete, Boothe,

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »

Do you hand pollenate them all, or are they done through pollenators?
It's a struggle for me to get my fertile pollen, only my el bumpo is holding fruit.
The rest of the cherimoyas lost all their blooms, too wet this year with all the rain and flooding.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »
Barath, good to hear your planting a bunch at the greenway! I wish the Santa Clara CRFG would focus work parties or any attention on the actual rare fruit orchard at Prusch Park instead of always focusing on the temperate orchard . I don't understand why this CRFG group ,like some others focus all their energy on common fruits , and this group has an actual subtropical rare fruit planting that recieves scant attention compared to the common fruits . It bothers me to see that old Jabuticaba unceremoniously "topped" at 4 foot and a thick bushy mess. With a little focus the rare fruit grove could look much happier.
It seems the Bob Chambers White Sapote scion collection trip was the last time anything happened when the large White Sapote tree's lower branches were multi grafted with zero follow up pruning or work to help those grafts thrive. Same story at Fremont Quarry park but not associated with CRFG.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »

Do you hand pollenate them all, or are they done through pollenators?
It's a struggle for me to get my fertile pollen, only my el bumpo is holding fruit.
The rest of the cherimoyas lost all their blooms, too wet this year with all the rain and flooding.

Waxy, are they any mature cherimoya trees in yr area. I didn't think cherimoyas would survive that far North.,,,,any pix of mature fruiting trees?

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »
Cherimoya is marginal in the Bay Area. It can be done, but you're always one bad winter away from losing them. Folks I know who have had the most success have kept them in microclimates like the old "right up against the house" trick, or live in the few frost-free pockets in the east bay.

That said, it's worth trying, because you can get lucky and skate through a few years and maybe your trees will get big enough to withstand the inevitable harsh winters. That's what I'm doing - I planted 12 cherimoya trees in my yard last year despite losing two the previous winter.  I only got one fruit this year and it's approaching ripeness:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:13:07 PM by joehewitt »

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »
There are no Cherimoyas at Prusch Park. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some in the past and they died. Prusch is in a chilly low lying spot - I bet that Jaboticaba was topped due to dieback after a hard frost.

I'm a member of the Santa Clara CRFG chapter and I don't want to disparage them because there are some wonderful and dedicated people running the chapter. However, it's true, the current leadership is all about teaching people to care for the common backyard temperate trees. Truly "rare" fruits are never the focus of chapter meetings nor are they tested in the demo orchard. My attempts to discuss rare fruits on the mailing list are usually met with silence. It's disappointing but I still appreciate CRFG for how much they've taught me about citrus, avocados, feijoas and stuff like that.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
x