Author Topic: Most profitable tropical and subtropical fruit trees?  (Read 31000 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Most profitable tropical and subtropical fruit trees?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 05:00:43 AM »
It would be impossible to have someone sit in a local market trying to sell these unknown fruits without some creative marketing, such as sampling or bundling with other fruits.

John

I can imagine that Mangosteen from Costa Rica could be the best in the world because [marketing] "The unique composition of this kind of volcanic soil -which is found only in this small region in Costa Rica - is taken up by the Mangosteen tree and incorporated into its cellular structure. This creates a nutrient profile which is three times richer in antioxidants than Mangosteen from [whatever country]. Scientists are just beginning to understand all of the wonderful health benefits of Costa Rican Mangosteen."

Isn't this the key? Marketing. I once saw a comedian joking about how successful the cranberry marketing guy has been. He joked about all the flavors like cran-apple, cran-grape, etc. It think it comes down to marketing. Will guanabana sell in York, PA? That depends. If you just put it in the supermarket and wait, it probably won't sell.

But, if you make a website extolling all the cancer fighting benefits, link it in with all the independent YouTube videos saying the same, pump up the stories about how medical doctors in South America routinely use it as part of standard anti-cancer treatment, buy some ads in the local paper, and really just pump it up generally, THEN you could sell a processed guanabana product quite well I would think.

I do marketing for a living, but I am no farmer. I do think that the key is how the fruits are processed and marketed. When I left the U.S. a couple of years ago companies had already begun a major push on selling bottled coconut water. One company even had pop-star Rihanna as a celebrity endorser. So, yes - it's ALL about the processing, presentation, and marketing.

Remember when everyone was calmmoring to get Acai? There were even network marketing companies (MLM) which had Acai juice as their primary product and people were getting RICH off selling this stuff. I am talking about millionaires.

So if farmers in Hawaii can't recoup their investment on Rambutan it's because they haven't created a market, plain and simple. In 10 years when some guy "discovers" (ie. has the marketing prowess to convince the public) that Rambutan treats everything from diabetes to cancer, and has been used "For over 5000 years in traditional Chinese medicine - and the Chinese have the lowest incidence of diabetes in the world", then those farmers who ripped up their plants will be kicking themselves. I am not criticizing their business. I am just saying that anytime someone has a product they should be an active part of creating a market for that product.

I wish it was so plain or so simple. But what you are saying is not the main problem. There is already a market here for rambutans. Hawaii produces a lot more than local consumption can absorb, keep in mind that our population is quite small, which means most of them have to be exported. Right now there is intense competition in rambutans with other countries that export rambutan to continental USA: Asia (Thailand and soon Vietnam), and Mexico, and Central America (Guatemala). All these countries can sell rambutan at retail level for LESS than it costs to produce rambutan in Hawaii. On top of that huge difficulty there are more stringent protocols for exporting Hawaiian rambutans to continental USA than the protocols for other countries. So it also costs more to treat rambutans to pass USDA than it does for other countries to do so. I'm afraid that the obstacles right now are practically insurmountable, unless Hawaii can produce premier quality rambutans (organic) in off season.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »
Small amounts of premier quality 'off season' rambutans, lychees and mangoes and a few other tropical are sent from here to south east Asia. The costs of preparation are very high so consumers must pay top prices.
I know Rihanna sang a song about a tropical fruit tree called Under My Ambarella. I have said this before but Al Jolson sang Mamee and Germaine Jackson sang Let's Get Cereus.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
I know there a high costs involved in developing a new variety or new fruit. But on the other hand it is not illegal to grow the seed from some fruit that you ate in my opinion. That's what humans do as long as they exist.

For example the Holland papaya. I don't know anything about it except that it's nice and sold in Thailand but i believe them if they say it is developed in Holland. The smart thing is that it is a hybrid because Thai are famous for copying anything and don't pay copyrights.
But why would Holland made a new papaya variety for Thailand? Did the Thai papaya-farmgroup call the agriculture university in Holland and order them to make that variety for them or how does something like that work?

Also they have Hawaii papaya on every market in Thailand, did they also call Hawaii for that variety to be developed? And what if the hawaiian papaya was not a hybrid and every Thai could grow them from seeds. Would that be a criminal act so the USA can send a team of inspectors (just like Microsoft has inspectionteams here in Thailand)?

I read what Oscar wrote, Thai rambutans are cheaper then hawaiian rambutans so the americans all buy the cheaper ones. If the usa wants to sell cheap cars in Thailand then there would be an import-tax from 100% on those cars. (Just like on german cars in Thailand).

All those rules are not fair is what i think. Americans should eat american rambutans. They should put tax on import-fruit that is not grown on american land. The Thai would do the same for sure. I am not Thai but i'm married to one and i am not even allowed to work here.  If i would buy a farm and grow fruit to sell i can get serious problems.

It has become a complicated system and is only about the money, i hate that.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
It makes sense to be diversified and perhaps, contrarian.  The small farmer should be agile and focus on exploiting niches.  If everyone is planting it, then start pulling it out.  Rambutan is getting like that here and mangoes has been for some time.  I can't begin to supply the salak demand.
Peter

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 01:47:19 AM »
Hello Peter,

Would you mind me asking something if it isn't big commercial secret of course:)
Which one would you say have bigger potential for commercial success in your area, marang or chempedak? Looking at different criteria. Profit per tree, better profit per estimated acre of the the same species, easiness in marketing, etc...
Also the same question but regarding under story plants. Cacao or salak? Maybe not a fair question because you make your own chocolate my understanding?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:09 AM »
Dragonfruit fetch a good market price here in Australia. I will be commercially farming them within the next 4 years, life willing. My main float will be the trellises, soil ( I'm probably looking at about 3-5k for backfill) and insurance. This last will be the worst, as I'm zoned for flood damage.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:41:28 AM by starling1 »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
To the OP, you are in Virginia, I think that would classify as temperate. I think you should be looking at various apple cultivars. cherries, plums and other stone fruit. Would Kiwi grow there?  Are you green housing? Or are you just looking for general knowledge?

Here in FL, if I had the money, time and land, despite my love of growing cool looking fun fruit, I would go hardcore into olives(and I don't even eat olives). A burgeoning fruit market with higher and higher worldwide demand, with a tree that almost takes care of itself.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
Hi Tropheus,

I asked the question out of curiosity at this time.

Tomas

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
I do OK with passionfruit and did very well with the Hawaiian small papayas , but since I found out these last ones where GMO I refuse to plant them again .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »
I believe there are some of the small hawaiian types that are not GMO.  Am I wrong about that? 

Oscar sells sunrise solo, sunset solo, and waimanolo solo and I don't think he is down with GMO.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:06 AM »
I believe there are some of the small hawaiian types that are not GMO.  Am I wrong about that? 

Oscar sells sunrise solo, sunset solo, and waimanolo solo and I don't think he is down with GMO.
Only rainbow solo is GMO. The other types are not.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 01:30:44 AM »

Does Rainbow Solo cross-pollinate naturally with other papaya in Hawaii?

Hawaii is one of the GMO seed capitals of the world, growing many GMO seeds for the mainland and world by Monsanto and others.  There must be a lot of GM pollen in the air, too.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 01:34:16 AM »

Does Rainbow Solo cross-pollinate naturally with other papaya in Hawaii?

Hawaii is one of the GMO seed capitals of the world, growing many GMO seeds for the mainland and world by Monsanto and others.  There must be a lot of GM pollen in the air, too.

That's a good point, really. I can't see how there could be a way to legislate against GMO pollen fertilizing heirloom/ natural fruits. Seems ultimately impossible.  Insects do not, after all, have a sense of political discrimination--and neither do air currents. I suspect it would happen in the former case however, papaya pollen wouldn't travel far in the airborne sense, I'm assuming. Insects traveling between trees MUST happen. Unrealistic and naive to assume otherwise. Unless Oscar has some kind of very effective exclusion netting, it's not only possible, but very likely, that successive generations of his produce will contain GMO markers.

Oscar, what guarantee can you give people that this isn't the case given that you do post seeds to Australia, and that there are extremely strict penalties in place in this country for  importing of GMO crops which far, far exceed the statutes of regular quarantine infringements? Not to mention that I doubt many Australians would want to inadvertently introduce GMO crops into Australia. Very, very unpopular down here.  For example, I can say with confidence that there is no risk of GMO contamination in  seeds leaving Australia, because no GMO crops are produced in Australia. However, this cannot be said of Hawaiian crops, since there exists the potential--indeed--the probability, of cross pollination between GMO and non GMO varieties.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:55:02 AM by starling1 »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
genetic modification = molestation and perversion of mother nature

it's profitable, but so is a meth lab.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 02:18:38 AM »
If your talking profit growing a field of mangosteen and exotics will make you the richest man on earth, but if your talking about making that paper stuff you cant eat, all i can say is whats the point?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 02:36:32 AM »
Rainbow is the only GMO papaya. Yes it can cross pollinate with any other papaya and contaminate it. This is only the case if you're growing in vicinity of commercial GMO rainbow papaya fields. To get uncontaminated papayas you need to grow minimum 1/2 mile from any GMO field because papaya pollen is wind borne. Seeds can be tested for GMO contamination.
Monsanto does not have any fields or operations on this island. They have been effectively blocked out by legislation here. They do have fields though on some of the other islands. Anyway, Monsanto has nothing to do with GMO papaya. For that we have to "thank" our stupid university.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:42:22 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
Rainbow is the only GMO papaya. Yes it can cross pollinate with any other papaya and contaminate it. This is only the case if you're growing in vicinity of commercial GMO rainbow papaya fields. To get uncontaminated papayas you need to grow minimum 1/2 mile from any GMO field because papaya pollen is wind borne. Seeds can be tested for GMO contamination.
Monsanto does not have any fields or operations on this island. They have been effectively blocked out by legislation here. They do have fields though on some of the other islands. Anyway, Monsanto has nothing to do with GMO papaya. For that we have to "thank" our stupid university.

What's interesting about the GMO papaya is that I've read that it actually has less of the ringspot virus than non GMO papaya. In essence, the non-GMO have more of what the GMO papaya was created to prevent. So, why all the GMO papaya hate?

I don't think people should dismiss something just because it is GMO. I think GMO plants are very important to agriculture and will continue to be even more important as time progresses.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »
I'm surprised you don't realize the inherent conflict of interest.

As a fruit grower / collector who's life work is to amass the best of what the natural world has to offer...now we are in direct competition with scientists who may hijack, and pervert everything we've worked for.  I don't believe any human is capable of playing the role of Mother Nature...we are too greedy, simpleminded, and shortsighted.

What's interesting about the GMO papaya is that I've read that it actually has less of the ringspot virus than non GMO papaya. In essence, the non-GMO have more of what the GMO papaya was created to prevent. So, why all the GMO papaya hate?

I don't think people should dismiss something just because it is GMO. I think GMO plants are very important to agriculture and will continue to be even more important as time progresses.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
obviously the GMO papaya has less of the ringspot virus--that's why it was created in the first place.  The issues are when man plays with science in ways that we just don't know about.  Maybe it's fine to eat a salmon that is crossed with something else, but then again, maybe it's a huge health risk.  Many diseases are now out of control, and many people have food allergies now...not saying it's because of GMOs, but I am leery.

For me, it also involves a general lack of trust toward corporations to do the right thing (not just the cheapest thing).  For example, Roundup ready seeds were not created to better the quality of corn....just the laziest way possible--by dumping WAY more roundup on the fields.  So, they in essence, are spending billions on products that will cause people to use more pesticides/herbicides in a much more reckless manner.  It's also a trade-off because then the farmer must buy RR seeds EVERY YEAR because they aren't allowed to collect them (nor ar they viable).  So  a corporation took a seed that would reproduce each year and turned it into a cash cow for them (on the front end with seeds each year and on the back end with tons more roundup sold), but it isn't healthier for consumers...just more profitable.  Add to it, the fact that, as a corporation, their job is to use whatever chemicals are safe until they are proven unsafe and toxic (ie. DDT which was great until it was found not to be great at all).  Who's to say glycophosphate (sp?) isn't really bad for our health, and we'll find out after the fact.

Now, maybe all this is completely overblown....but then again, maybe it's a good idea

On top of that, as was mentioned previously, you can't keep it contained to just one farmer's land--thus tarnishing the OP seeds that people have collected for thousands of years.  I'm not cool with all these concerns just so I can have a papaya that doesn't get ringspot virus (plus in a few years it will be susceptible to whatever comes next (like diabetes medicine that may solve the insulin issues, but make a heart attack more likely--just saying problems are usually multi-faceted and need more than a singular solution to a specific problem (ie. ringspot virus).

Now, having said all that, I don't feel like ranting against GMOs all the time, BUT...
I think it is criminal that one can sell a scientist experiment to consumers without their knowledge.  America is the home of toxic chemicals, but the very LEAST we could do is be honest and stop trying actively (through PR, junk science, political contributions, lobbying, etc) keep consumers in the dark.

I think it all depends on whom one trusts:  science-generated (mutated) living things that are created to boost profits or  seeds that are collected and bred naturally, over the course of time by caretakers of the Earth.  Depending on how one views this choice, that is likely to influence their decision on whether GMOs are harmless or the next scourge.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
"... imagine that a storm blows across your garden and that now, genetically-manipulated seeds are in your crops. A multi-national corporation pay you a visit, demand that you surrender your crops - and then sue you for $200 000 for the illegal use of patented,... "

The documentary  "David vs Monsanto" tells the story of Monsanto efforts to crush an innocent Canadian farmer whose crops got contaminated by GMO patented DNA blown in by the wind.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »

As in most things, I tend not take extreme views regarding the concept of GMO.  I know that there is the potential for abuse and negative results based upon greed and profit motivation......the quick fix answer which does not have enough information or foresight to make something safe has already been shown to be a concern with projects already in production.  However, the idea that the letters GMO automatically conjure up something akin to molestation or perversion seems a bit over the top. I would equate this type of thinking with the idea that man shouldn't fly because nature didn't give him wings or that man shouldn't develop antibiotics because nature intended us to get sick and possibly die......its just too bad.....get sick and die.

The reality is, at least in my view,  that Nature has no great wisdom.  It survives and flourishes as the result of major trials and errors.  Countless species and their DNA have been lost forever without any intervention from man over the millenia. Nature randomly mutates DNA in reproduction.  The most adaptable DNA survives and passes on its DNA to its progeny.  The less adaptable, less successful DNA formulations die out naturally and their DNA dies with them.  To ascribe intelligence to this natural process and proclaim its superiority to man's potential scientific intervention I think fails to consider all of the failures and defects that Nature has created and continues to create. There are probably even some natural random genetic mutations that are due to exposure to natural chemical compounds and/or radiation that have absolutely nothing to do with man and his corruption of nature.

When man uses cross breeding and hybridization he is interfering with the natural process.  It is not quite gene splicing or causing genetic material to turn off or on, but it is one step in that direction.  We have no problem with doing this non-natural cross breeding of animals or plants but it is a major ethical issue if anyone says,  "hey, let's try it with humans."

So before we just proclaim GMO of the devil, pause should be taken to consider its potential benefits. Close attention has to be paid to what is being modified and the potential negative effects of any such modification. There will be errors made but the potential for speeding up the beneficial process that man has tried to perfect in hybridization is virtually limitless with scientifically engineering changes in the natural world. This process needs to be transparent and appropriate labeling of products that have been modified are musts.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »
The documentary  "David vs Monsanto" tells the story of Monsanto efforts to crush an innocent Canadian farmer whose crops got contaminated by GMO patented DNA blown in by the wind.

The truth is that Monsanto has never sued anyone for accidental use of their patented seeds.
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/gm-seed-accidentally-in-farmers-fields.aspx

Here's the real story of 'David (Percy Schmeiser) vs Monsanto':

Monsanto v. Schmeiser
"In 1997, Percy Schmeiser found Monsanto's genetically modified “Roundup Ready Canola” plants growing near his farm. He testified that he sprayed his nearby field and found that much of the crop survived, meaning it was also Roundup Ready.  He testified that he then harvested that crop, saved it separately from his other harvest, and intentionally planted it in 1998.  Monsanto approached him to pay a license fee for using Monsanto's patented technology without a license. Schmeiser refused, claiming that the actual seed was his because it was grown on his land, and so Monsanto sued Schmeiser for patent infringement on August 6, 1998.

"For the next several years, the case traveled through the Canadian court system. Meanwhile, Schmeiser became a popular figure among those opposed to genetic engineering. He accepted speaking engagements around the world. Ultimately, a Supreme Court 5-4 ruling found in favor of Monsanto, because Monsanto owned a valid patent and Schmeiser violated the patent by intentionally replanting the Roundup Ready seed that he had saved."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Schmeiser
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
I can't think of two words that fit better (glowing cats, rats with human ears).

you can't seriously compare the products of conventional plant breeding, to the transgenetic organisms that exist today, as a result of work in a lab.

As in most things, I tend not take extreme views regarding the concept of GMO.  I know that there is the potential for abuse and negative results based upon greed and profit motivation......the quick fix answer which does not have enough information or foresight to make something safe has already been shown to be a concern with projects already in production.  However, the idea that the letters GMO automatically conjure up something akin to molestation or perversion seems a bit over the top. I would equate this type of thinking with the idea that man shouldn't fly because nature didn't give him wings or that man shouldn't develop antibiotics because nature intended us to get sick and possibly die......its just too bad.....get sick and die.

The reality is, at least in my view,  that Nature has no great wisdom.  It survives and flourishes as the result of major trials and errors.  Countless species and their DNA have been lost forever without any intervention from man over the millenia. Nature randomly mutates DNA in reproduction.  The most adaptable DNA survives and passes on its DNA to its progeny.  The less adaptable, less successful DNA formulations die out naturally and their DNA dies with them.  To ascribe intelligence to this natural process and proclaim its superiority to man's potential scientific intervention I think fails to consider all of the failures and defects that Nature has created and continues to create. There are probably even some natural random genetic mutations that are due to exposure to natural chemical compounds and/or radiation that have absolutely nothing to do with man and his corruption of nature.

When man uses cross breeding and hybridization he is interfering with the natural process.  It is not quite gene splicing or causing genetic material to turn off or on, but it is one step in that direction.  We have no problem with doing this non-natural cross breeding of animals or plants but it is a major ethical issue if anyone says,  "hey, let's try it with humans."

So before we just proclaim GMO of the devil, pause should be taken to consider its potential benefits. Close attention has to be paid to what is being modified and the potential negative effects of any such modification. There will be errors made but the potential for speeding up the beneficial process that man has tried to perfect in hybridization is virtually limitless with scientifically engineering changes in the natural world. This process needs to be transparent and appropriate labeling of products that have been modified are musts.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:39:35 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
At the recent festival at the  Fruit and Spice Park.  They were handing out rambutan samples to all and sold a lot of fruit that way.  It was from Guatemala without irradiation. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
Harry...

have you thought about joining the legal team at monsanto?

you've got your work cut out.

If you're interested send a PM to JCaldeira, I bet he has a contact there.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com