Author Topic: Seedling Black Sapotes finally flowering.  (Read 2337 times)

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
Seedling Black Sapotes finally flowering.
« on: June 25, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Keep in mind I live in Northern California and these are in 15 gallon pots.  I grew these from seed I got back in Dec 09.  Wonder if I could fruit Diospyros blancoi in a 15 gallon pot . . .

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Black Sapotes finally flowering.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:33 AM »
Awesome Brian:)
I have some 1 year olds in pots and they are extremly vigorous strangle one is triple the size of the others:)
Im hoping to also fruit in pots one day and 15gallons is even smaller than I thought I would need to flower:0
I would love to see a picture of the full treesfor scale if you have any.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

greeny

• Germany,Hessen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:20:47 AM »
I also have a few black sapotes grown from seed and bought .
Your plant  has several flowers comming out from the same place ,
As far as I experienced you only will get fruits from black sapotes where only one flower comes out from each place where it is flowering  (female plant) .

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
They are almost true from seeds unless there are other varieties close they can outcross to.I have eaten a few giant mossmans and the giant flying saucers this season and they were excellent.Fully ripened they are as good as any.One medium sized, I suppose variety, is the long black sapote  which is mamey shaped.They can be 3 lbs down to half a pound and seem to be very nice also.I will eat a couple this weekend.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
This is good to hear.  I have trees from 2013 (Brisbane) coming along well.  The black sapote seems to be a very tolerate tree.  Even in pots it survives virtually ignored.   I am going to girdle my largest tree to push it along toward fruiting.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »
I will take a picture of trees once I find camera battery recharger.  They honestly don't look great.  They kind of ran out of nitrogen and are lanky.  I started fertilizing them finally since I didn't repot this year.  .

greeny

• Germany,Hessen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
I wonder if anyone has a black sapote producing fruits with flower buds
in clusters because I only had black sapotes fruiting when they had single flowers .

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
Congratulations! It must be so rewarding to finally get flowers after you have cared for the tree from its infancy!

I am happy to have bought a replacement 3gallon black sapote for one that got taken out by disease, and found that even though it is small yet, it pushed flowers! I have yet to transplant the plant so the flowers will have to go if they don't drop of their own accord, to help the plant adjust to its new location, but it's a great feeling to have a black sapote that one knows is capable of producing. These were several individual, separated flowers, so they should have been theoretically viable.

It was really nice to see a black sapote flower in person, as my last tree was older and larger than this one, but had not flowered yet that I had ever seen. (I had it in the ground for about a year and a half, and it was one of the healthiest plants I had in my yard up until it got struck, so I feel like I put in my work to see some flowers by now! :) ) They're pretty little yellow and green sort of trumpet-shaped flowers. Unfortunately, I forget now which variety I ended up buying - I ended up just picking the healthiest-looking plant - but it may have been Bernicker or Reineke?