Author Topic: Recommended citrus for a public garden  (Read 8449 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended citrus for a public garden
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »
My red lime trees are described here:

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/excalibur.html

A grower in the know told me they are grown from cuttings or grafts but some of the fruits do have seeds which once my fruit mature I will grow any seeds I find.

Regards,

Gary

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 01:59:42 AM »
Thanks for that.  :)  I assume that even finger limes can't approach this level of low-light tolerance?

Finger limes soon will be grown in EU the same way as tomatoes.
http://www.freshplaza.com/article/170537/First-ever-soil-less-finger-lime-crop.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks for that.  :)  I assume that even finger limes can't approach this level of low-light tolerance?

Finger limes soon will be grown in EU the same way as tomatoes.
http://www.freshplaza.com/article/170537/First-ever-soil-less-finger-lime-crop.

Not surprised that soilless culture works for them.  :)  But do you know about how their light needs compare to those of the Pavlovsky citrus cultivars?  I know they're famously more shade tolerant than most citrus.  Just trying to get a general ordering of citrus light needs (I'm simultaneously digging through research papers for PPFD saturation values, although that's not exactly the same thing  ;)  )
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:26 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a harvest.I think finger limes will be a tough ask for them as will blood limes if they try those. Faster growing more vigorous citrus might do better.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »

Not surprised that soilless culture works for them.  :)  But do you know about how their light needs compare to those of the Pavlovsky citrus cultivars?  I know they're famously more shade tolerant than most citrus.  Just trying to get a general ordering of citrus light needs (I'm simultaneously digging through research papers for PPFD saturation values, although that's not exactly the same thing  ;)  )

From my personal experiences, the most demanding citrus plants, when it comes to sum of sunlight and high temperatures to get good fruit are citrus grandis and citrus nobilis, both I consider as tropical, not subtropical species.
Typical marks of citrus fruit grown in deficiency of sunlight and high temperatures are extremely thick albedo, sometimes nearly no pulp, low brix, higher bitterness.
On the other hand, some citruses from blood category need nontropical weather with some hours close to zero celsius and different night and day temperatures to reach good pulp coloration.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »
Radoslav: Interesting. I've read that some of the less tropical citrus need either a cold period or a dry period - some sort of stress period - to bloom well. Can a dry period substitute for a cold period in terms of pulp coloration or is the cold essential?

Mike T: So your experience is that finger limes actually aren't particularly shade tolerant?  Or that they have long juvenile periods?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
Radoslav: Interesting. I've read that some of the less tropical citrus need either a cold period or a dry period - some sort of stress period - to bloom well. Can a dry period substitute for a cold period in terms of pulp coloration or is the cold essential?

To produce good external or internal anthocyanin pigment, chill is required before harvest.
See experiences from Australia for example :
http://www.anfic.com.au/portfolio-view/early-sicily-c1867/
http://www.anfic.com.au/portfolio-view/alkantara-c2191/
To produce good external orange, or yellow colour, non tropical weather is required before harvest too on all citruses.
Some cultivars produce only male flowers if temperture is tropical during flowering.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 05:37:16 AM »
Karen,
They do have a long juvenile period, are a bit touchy and are not vigorous. Maybe the cool Mediterranean climate and controlled conditions will be to their liking but I have a feeling it wont be the booming success some may predict.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
Karen,
They do have a long juvenile period, are a bit touchy and are not vigorous. Maybe the cool Mediterranean climate and controlled conditions will be to their liking but I have a feeling it wont be the booming success some may predict.

What, in your experience, are their ideal conditions?