Author Topic: Citrus greening advice  (Read 2159 times)

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
Citrus greening advice
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:49:25 PM »

These images are of my 1 year old lime tree, did not fruit this year and I suspect t could be citrus greening, took some pictures and wanted to see what more experienced citrus growers thought, also how to proceed, severely cut it back or just remove it and add something else.. thank you for everyone advice in advance,

Oscar

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus greening advice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
Hi Oscar,

I'm not an experienced citrus grower, let alone a grower in Florida, but here are my two cents...

Your tree might be suffering from other issues and possibly not citrus greening. So before taking drastic action like cutting it back or removing it, try submitting samples first to your state ag department or local extension office if they provide that service. link is here: https://www.fdacs.gov/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/How-to-Submit-a-Sample-for-Identification

Additionally, here are some good resources for you as you move forward trying to determine what to do with your lime tree and with regards to citrus greening or Huanglongbing (HLB)

HLB Fact Sheet: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/2011/CG-PestAlert.pdf

Florida HLB Webpage: https://www.fdacs.gov/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Agriculture-Industry/Citrus-Health-Response-Program/Citrus-Diseases/HLB-Citrus-Greening

Goodluck!

ryanscion

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
Hello Oscar & welcome to the forum. I opine that this is not hlb. If this were my tree I would pull some leaf samples and take them to your County Agent to have him verify the presence of hlb. Hlb has so many symptoms and different strains that it is hard to identify from photos. You tree may just have some nutritional needs that are not met. In as much as you live in FL this could be hlb but it is not like other symptoms I have seen. Can you state when and how you feed and water the tree? Can you post a close up of one damaged leaf?

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »
Thank you for your answers really appreciate them. I water the tree 3-4 times a week, give fertilizer maybe monthly and just placed some cow manure as well. One of the reasons that I thought that it may be hlb is that along with not fruiting, the shape of some of the leaves look like a typical hlb  case, along with the color of the leaves. Please let me know what you think and thank you.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:39:06 PM by tropicalfruitfan2019 »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
I see the leaf close ups. It does look like hlb leaves but can be something else. Make sure you are not watering too much or fertilizing too much. You mentioned that you just applied cow manure....a no no for my trees. Cow manure, especially uncomposted and not cured manure....will burn.....

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
Thank you for your reply, gonna try to get the leaves analyzed before removing tree, the fertilizer is black cow, which I believe is composted, thank you for taking time out to answer my questions I appreciate it,

Oscar

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »
Looks to have the symptoms of HLB.

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
I found this on Amazon, has anyone had any experience with this product?

Oscar

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
SNAKE OIL by another name

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
Save your money. There is no cure for hlb at the present. Spend the money you save by not buying this and spend it on a new tree.

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »
Thank you for the advice I figured as much....

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 11:36:16 PM »
The last article I read is oak tree leafs might work.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:56 PM »
The last article I read is oak tree leafs might work.

Could it be the tannins and/or humic acids released by decomposing oak leaves, and they play a role in better xylem/phloem cell transportation? Perhaps inducing some other means of help to the citrus?
Or enhanced Nitrogen being released by the leaves and then absorbed by the citrus?
Very curious, last thing I also heard was that growing under oak canopies seemed to help with HLB.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
What is it with the oak trees?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
Research over the past year at a University of Florida greenhouse in Fort Pierce showed that citrus trees recovered from citrus greening when sprayed and drenched with treated water twice a week for two months. The water was treated by steeping chopped oak leaves in it overnight, allowing leaf compounds to leach out, according to the published findings.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 10:10:16 AM »
Research over the past year at a University of Florida greenhouse in Fort Pierce showed that citrus trees recovered from citrus greening when sprayed and drenched with treated water twice a week for two months. The water was treated by steeping chopped oak leaves in it overnight, allowing leaf compounds to leach out, according to the published findings.

I’m not sure if my trees had greening or not but I tried mulching with oak leaves and spraying with oak leaf tea every three days for around six weeks.  I’m not sure if I treated anything or if I corrected a nutritional problem but my trees leaves looked greener and perkier after just the first treatment. Since the tea is free, easy to make, and safe, I plan on giving my trees a prophylactic treatment every year.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »
Oncorhynchus, thanks for the information and the results of the oak leaf treatment on your  citrus tree.

tropicalfruitfan2019

• Miami,FL,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 01:39:28 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice! Gonna try the oak leaves spray