Author Topic: A couple citrus questions and observations  (Read 992 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
A couple citrus questions and observations
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »
First, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a variety of kumquat called "Kumchau". I got it from an Asian guy in Caņas, Costa Rica. He sold (he has since passed away) a bunch of different varieties of fruit tree he brought here from, I think, Taiwan. Here's a picture of the description of this kumquat.

It's described as a sweet variety and it definitely is. It's very prolific and usually grows, rests, flowers, rests and grows again.

Second is trying to come up with a name of two different lemon varieties I have here. One is called "American Lemon" and I'm told it's a yellow lemon,the second is "Verdelli" and it was described to me as like a persian lime, not many seeds but less sour and it gets yellow when allowed to ripen. I don't have pictures of any of the fruits,this is the first year flowering for me on the american lemon. The Verdelli had two fruits but my dogs knocked them off before they could fully ripen. The closest I've come to ID'ing the Verdelli is reading it is the Verna lemon from spain and italy that they force to flower and pick while still green and it's like a bumper crop. Really all I want to know is if anyone here has grown these types and if they are actually yellow lemons.

Third is an observation, the other day I was searching pictures of lemon blossoms and saw something mention a lemon blossom tea, so I went out and picked a flower that wasn't going to fruit and ate the petals. They're absolutely delicious! They taste slightly sweet with a floral lemon note and a little nectary. Something I think that could be used as a garnish on a salad or with fish maybe

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: A couple citrus questions and observations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:16:13 PM »
I have pretty much every Kumquat variety I can get my hands on, and I've never heard of or seen that type before.  Looks interesting!  It looks a bit too wide to be Nagami, and too ovoid to be any of the other types.   I'd love to try it if I could get my hands on it here

I don't know anything about the Verdelli lemon you describe, no comment there.

Yes, lemon (and lime) flowers and leaves are very fragrant and edible.  You might be familiar with Kaffir Lime of which the leaves are used in Thai cooking.  It turns out that any old lime has similar lime-tasting leaves, though maybe not quite as sharp.  I use Bearss lime leaves in Thai food and it tastes great. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
Never heard of it.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »
I have pretty much every Kumquat variety I can get my hands on, and I've never heard of or seen that type before.  Looks interesting!  It looks a bit too wide to be Nagami, and too ovoid to be any of the other types.   I'd love to try it if I could get my hands on it here

I don't know anything about the Verdelli lemon you describe, no comment there.

Yes, lemon (and lime) flowers and leaves are very fragrant and edible.  You might be familiar with Kaffir Lime of which the leaves are used in Thai cooking.  It turns out that any old lime has similar lime-tasting leaves, though maybe not quite as sharp.  I use Bearss lime leaves in Thai food and it tastes great.

I read here the other day that kumquats grow true to seed. If you want I can save some for you the next time some ripen.

Here's a pdf about the Verdelli lemons. https://ucanr.edu/repository/fileAccessPublic.cfm?fn=ca3905p4-171864.pdf

I always thought that about lemon and lime leaves. People talk of the kaffir lime and it's leaves, but they are all pretty fragrant. I've never used the leaves to cook but I've thought about tossing some in some soups we make that taste better when we add a little fresh lime juice. I think next time we make a soup I'll try it out.  Thanks for the replies both of you!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:45:58 PM »
I have heard and read about Verdelli lemon culture.  Verdelli culture is greatly used by growers to obtain a larger summer crop, because summer is the season when lemons are most used by customers.  What I have never heard of is a Kumchau kumquat.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:28:11 AM »
Base on the Chinese name 金枣,Fortunella margarita is the English name for it. 金棗 is tradition Chinese.  金枣 is simplify Chinese.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:36:37 AM by pinkturtle »

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
Base on the Chinese name 金枣,Fortunella margarita is the English name for it. 金棗 is tradition Chinese.  金枣 is simplify Chinese.

Awesome!! That's a lead and a big help to understand what variety it might be. Thank you so much!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
Does that mean this "Kumchau" is simply another name for Nagami kumquat?  It does look similar to nagami, but a bit fatter than I am used to seeing.  I only have Nordmann Nagami which is shaped a bit differently, so my perception of plain Nagami might be off.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 01:51:09 AM »
I'll post a picture of the plant and some immature fruit tomorrow but here is a picture of the other kumquat he had for sale, this one was described as sweet skin, sour flesh. I believe it has a different chinese character name next to it's english/spanish name. Maybe we can get a description on this one too?