Author Topic: Favourite fall-to-the-ground fruits?  (Read 18628 times)

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite fall-to-the-ground fruits?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

Hi friends,

How about kuini. Fragrant fruit and tasty. The fragrance will lead us towards the fruit under the tree that the fruit falls. We always searching   for kuinis in the early morning after the ripe fruit fall at night.

Just now educated myself about this fruit. Sounds very intriguing. Can I get them in KL January-February?

Hi DurianLover,

Sure, but depends on the kuini fruit season, but do not worry, usually plant nursery sell kuini seedlings.

http://animhosnan.blogspot.com/2011/04/kuini.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:51:32 PM by tropical66 »
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:57 AM »
Borojoa patinoi, Theobroma grandiflorum and Theobroma bicolor

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:02 AM »
I know a fruit that are not so good off the ground.Big ripe mossman and flying saucer black sapotes leave a big patch of ooze on the ground when they fall.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »
For me it's Passions  :) Though, with the wind, avocadoes and cherimoyas fall by the bucket load. :o From the three i choose, Cherimoya 8)
I thought annonas always fell with a splat.  Too hot everywhere I have lived to grow cherimoya.  Can atemoya be harvested from the ground?

2 more staple-food ground harvested fruits:   coconut and  breadnut.   Coconut and breadnut to the tropical subsistence farmer are sort of like mom and dad to the American teenager - essential but undervalued.

Hi RedDurio,
It's the rainy-windy season over here and the soil is nice and soft...so they fall without any problems. If they fall on a hard surface or they are ripe,...ya know what happens, KABOOM ;D

will be going there before Christmus and pull all the weeds up and place them under the tree to give them falling fruit, an extra help ;D I cleaned the orchard one month before and now that it has been raining cat's and dogs, the rain traps the airborne N and now my orchard looks like a JUNGLE :o ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
Luc,
Murici also known as Nance (byrsonima crassifolia) makes one of the best ice cream there is.  After the fruits fall to the ground, collect them, and wait until they are very ripe. They start to turn a little brownish yellow when very ripe.  Pulse the fruits in a blender with water, remove the seeds, add some suggar, and some condensed milk.  Make the ice "scream" and voila, "Sorvete de Murici".
Murici is also used as a flavoring agent to cachaca/aguardente (sugar cane liquor).

Murici out of hand tastes like rotten cheese and should be paired with mabolo and given to your guests that stay too long when visiting you.  If you are a Florida resident, you know what I am talking about.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
[quote author=Berto link=topic=3542.msg49630#msg49630 date=1354824208

Murici out of hand tastes like rotten cheese and should be paired with mabolo and given to your guests that stay too long when visiting you.  If you are a Florida resident, you know what I am talking about.
[/quote]

Craboo, aka Nance aka Murici was for me, an acquired taste.  They are similar to durian, they fall to the ground, then ripen, they have high fat, a strong flavour that many people dislike, they are normally yellow skinned, and they are sweet.
 Something else I like about craboo is their get it done "attitude" toward fruiting.   There is not a several month long period of fruiting, or even a month.  In Belize the first and last fruit from a tree falls within 2 weels. the shortest fruiting season I know of.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »
Something else I like about craboo is their get it done "attitude" toward fruiting.   There is not a several month long period of fruiting, or even a month.  In Belize the first and last fruit from a tree falls within 2 weels. the shortest fruiting season I know of.

Amelanchier is like that, but the fruits don't drop... either the fruits are eaten by birds or they just go bad....  I'm surprised you like that- puts pressure on you to harvest and use them quickly.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »

Amelanchier is like that, but the fruits don't drop... either the fruits are eaten by birds or they just go bad....  I'm surprised you like that- puts pressure on you to harvest and use them quickly.

Yes, it is odd.  The reason is that the fruits are small and the tree does not create full shade. If they were harvested over several months, there would be a necessity over several months to keep the weeds under the tree cut really short so as to see the fruit each morning when you go out to harvest them.   One of my friends burns the weeds at harvest time and the craboo stand out bright yellow against the black earth.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »

That is weird, how did I forget durian??  I guess I was thinking of what I wanted close to my house. 

This is me in my house with 3 durio species after one morning at the farmers market   The price had fallen below 1 USD per kg.  (40 cents per pound), so I started freezing them.   Red durian is picked from the tree, but the other 2 fall.

How did any of us forget? The ones that fall to the ground are SOOOOO much better than ones picked early.

As for lying in piles of three species (I've only had one) getting them cheap, and having so much fresh that you freeze it.... I only have curse words of jealousy... you lucky @#$@#$#@@$^^

Monthongs are usually over ripe by the time they hit the ground. Most durians fall under ripe and take 1-2 days to split and become ripe.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »

Monthongs are usually over ripe by the time they hit the ground. Most durians fall under ripe and take 1-2 days to split and become ripe.

About 20% of the durians in Tenom, Sabah are overripe by the time they split under my weight on a folded mat.  Red durian splits open on the tree but still isn't ripe.  It ripens a day or two after it splits.  D. oxleyanus falls like a regular durian and  is ripe when it splits, at least the ones I have had.  D. testudarium is ripe when it splits, but not certain it falls from the tree.  It doesn't have far to fall, growing on the trunk near the ground.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 05:23:12 AM »

About 20% of the durians in Tenom, Sabah are overripe by the time they split under my weight on a folded mat.  Red durian splits open on the tree but still isn't ripe.  It ripens a day or two after it splits.  D. oxleyanus falls like a regular durian and  is ripe when it splits, at least the ones I have had.  D. testudarium is ripe when it splits, but not certain it falls from the tree.  It doesn't have far to fall, growing on the trunk near the ground.

By red durian do you mean D. graveolens? Have you ever tasted D. tesudarium? How are they?
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »

By red durian do you mean D. graveolens? Have you ever tasted D. tesudarium? How are they?

Yes, I call D. graveolens red durian, a direct translation of durian merah.  I have eaten lots of D. testudarium, but not sure how many different trees I was eating from.  Possibly only one tree, as they were all pretty much the same.  D. testudarium has a high edible portion to fruit ratio.  It is very different in flavour to durian, unlike d. oxleyanus which tastes very durian like.  D. testudariums flesh is orange, sticky and very calorie dense.  You fill up on it faster than with durian.  I am not good at describing flavour, but it is something like carrot bubble gum.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »

Yes, I call D. graveolens red durian, a direct translation of durian merah.  I have eaten lots of D. testudarium, but not sure how many different trees I was eating from.  Possibly only one tree, as they were all pretty much the same.  D. testudarium has a high edible portion to fruit ratio.  It is very different in flavour to durian, unlike d. oxleyanus which tastes very durian like.  D. testudariums flesh is orange, sticky and very calorie dense.  You fill up on it faster than with durian.  I am not good at describing flavour, but it is something like carrot bubble gum.

Thanks for the info on  Durio testudarium. One of the books, i believere Fruits Brunei Darussalam, describes testudarium as having very poor quality fruits. So i had thought that was one most people don't even bother to eat?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
I remember seeing the durian for the first time, on the series "the living planet" hosted by sir David Attenborough....I wonder what species he was eating?

the fruit had a tan colored pulp...as opposed to the off white colored flesh (monthong ?) variety that is the only type we get in central FL.

I'm eager to taste some other variations of durio!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
I remember seeing the durian for the first time, on the series "the living planet" hosted by sir David Attenborough....I wonder what species he was eating?

the fruit had a tan colored pulp...as opposed to the off white colored flesh (monthong ?) variety that is the only type we get in central FL.

I will speculate that those are from underripe and previously frozen fruit.

The ripre, FRESH (never frozen) durian I have seen and eaten from Thailand had a light yellowish colored flesh.
- Rob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Adam,
Here's the vid that you are talking about :)

Durian

The Durio sp. looks like Durio oxleyanus.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
I agree with Jakfruitwhisperer69, looks like D. oxleyanus, a durio my wife and I enjoy very much.  There are very few in the market in Tenom.  We may have bought all of them last year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 01:39:28 AM »
Yes that is Durio oxyleanus, not regualr durian. David got that one wrong because this durio species has almost no smell. You certainly can't smell if from miles, so his sewer smell is either made up or a pre imposed ofactory hallucination.
Oxyleanus has fruited in Hawaii. They rar quite good tasting. Down side is they are on the smallish side. A lot less puld than regular durian. It's a bizarre looking fruit, looking a lo in shape t like a sea urchin.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:59 AM »
D. grandiflorus looks a lot like D. oxleyanus.  I figured it was oxleyanus in the video because D. grandiflorus is notoriously difficult to open and the one in the video seemed to come apart without too much effort.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
I reckon since this Durio oxyleanus is in the wild, it has a more potent smell to attract animals and humams for the feast and of course disperse them seeds. Maybe, in cultivation it becomes less potent?

Oscar, If this durian didn't have the potent odour, then how did the Asian fellow find the fruit? I don't think that Sir David Attenborough, would turn the tables on us viewer.     
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »
I reckon since this Durio oxyleanus is in the wild, it has a more potent smell to attract animals and humams for the feast and of course disperse them seeds. Maybe, in cultivation it becomes less potent?

Oscar, If this durian didn't have the potent odour, then how did the Asian fellow find the fruit? I don't think that Sir David Attenborough, would turn the tables on us viewer.   

Come on Steven, those villagers know where every single durio tree is and when they are fruiting!
I love David Atenborough and all his nature shows. But he already deceived the public by calling it a durian, and i'm pretty sure he also exaggerated about the smell. It's quite common unfortunately on TV shows to exaggerate everything to make it sound more dramatic or spectacular. I see this all the time on TV shows about Hawaii.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »

Come on Steven, those villagers know where every single durio tree is and when they are fruiting!
I love David Atenborough and all his nature shows. But he already deceived the public by calling it a durian, and i'm pretty sure he also exaggerated about the smell. It's quite common unfortunately on TV shows to exaggerate everything to make it sound more dramatic or spectacular. I see this all the time on TV shows about Hawaii.

Howdy Oscar,
You got a valid point there...this Asian fellow surely must know all them fruiting trees around his ''territory''.

Me too...The first documentry, i watch of Sir David Attenborough was the Birds of Paradise, when i was about 7-8 years old and i was totally blown away :o 8) Have been watching him every since ;D I agree, TV shows always exaggerate to attract more viewers...I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but once the trust is shattered...i ain't wastin' my time anymore :) 
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »

Howdy Oscar,
You got a valid point there...this Asian fellow surely must know all them fruiting trees around his ''territory''.

Me too...The first documentry, i watch of Sir David Attenborough was the Birds of Paradise, when i was about 7-8 years old and i was totally blown away :o 8) Have been watching him every since ;D I agree, TV shows always exaggerate to attract more viewers...I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but once the trust is shattered...i ain't wastin' my time anymore :)

Attenborough's nature shows are all top notch quality, and he sure has pumped out a lot of them over the many years! (He's starting to get a bit old now to go gallavanting around the planet.) I wouldn't let one little bit of misinformation change my opinion about him. All shows, just like all books, contain some errors.
BTW, if you like birds of paradise, there was an incredible show about them from National Geographic. This was a long time ago, when movies were still in VCR format. I haven't been able to find it again here, but it was even better than Attenborough's show on the same birds. There are some segments i remember that you can hear the sound the birds make during mating. It is a low pitch whirring and it's really mesmerizing to hear and watch them.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
Howdy Oscar,
I agree, he's nature shows are all out of this world...never get disapointed with the content and i always learn new stuff, every time i watch he's shows of wild life and about our planet 8)

Oscar...What's a VCR? It doesn't ring a bell ::) Just kidd'n :-) Here's the Birds of paradise film by Sir David Attenborough, 'Attenborough in Paradise'

The films show several species of birds of paradise and there courtship dances...I have seen this film countless of times and i'm still blown away everything i watch the film :)
I will try to find the film on the same subject by National Geographic. Wasn't aware that Nat.Geo also done a film on B. of Paradise. Thanks for sharing 8) 
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 01:16:28 AM »
Howdy Oscar,
I agree, he's nature shows are all out of this world...never get disapointed with the content and i always learn new stuff, every time i watch he's shows of wild life and about our planet 8)

Oscar...What's a VCR? It doesn't ring a bell ::) Just kidd'n :-) Here's the Birds of paradise film by Sir David Attenborough, 'Attenborough in Paradise'

The films show several species of birds of paradise and there courtship dances...I have seen this film countless of times and i'm still blown away everything i watch the film :)
I will try to find the film on the same subject by National Geographic. Wasn't aware that Nat.Geo also done a film on B. of Paradise. Thanks for sharing 8)

Warning: that National Geographic film is over 20 years old. It's not the newer version of National Geographic which they redid on birds of paradise and is not nearly as good. The old version doesn't even show up on the National Geographic website. Too bad, it's a real mind blower. Might be possible to get from sites that sell old VCR tapes.
Oscar