Author Topic: Germinating mamey sapote seeds  (Read 3614 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Germinating mamey sapote seeds
« on: November 01, 2020, 04:16:12 AM »
Hi, does anyone have any tips for germinating these ?? Thanks. One of the seeds has a slight crack to is ,so it may be starting to ...

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating mamey sapote seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
Rough side of seed facing down, split seed will have root emerge from split.  Keep warm, don't overwater.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Press on the seed with a board until it cracks if it hasn’t started splitting already then the paper towel and bag method has worked well for me.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »
Honestly, I just stick it in a moist paper towel in a ziplock bag and forget about it. Sometimes I do the last part too well and it sends the taproot through the plastic lol! Super easy to germinate.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, what is the needed temp that were talking about? In my home -heated, the air temp is around 60-70F/ 20-23C is this sufficient ? I have tried in past times to germ them ,but the fruits were not as fresh back then. I will try them with the baggy method with the towels and placed on a filtered warmth and light on my radiator.
Was also wondering what is a good disinfection  method foe the seeds, in order to prevent fungal infections ? Maybe hydrogen peroxide ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:23:42 AM by Plantinyum »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:43:49 AM »
I buy these, and sprout for Fun

What I do is soak a day or 2 in hot water
I may change later to hot water if in the mood later in the day (but not important)

Simply Place in bag of plain peat
(or mixture with Vermiculite top soil sand pine bark etc.)
So In a Gallon sized ziplock bag I blow air into, to build up humidity , and forget about it.

After sprout and sets leaves I move though to pot.

Also you could roll the bag up tight and place by radiator that works as well.
done that but I like the humidity in the bag to sprout .

No offence but I dislike the paper towel method it always dries out for me.
I like to not have to tend to it.

If this works for you then good just doesn't for me they get funky smelling.

Also think about PH just a PH like water has less protection against Micro's

If your doing a ton of seeds Grocery bags are cheap
just took a 100 JAck fruit seeds from out side
was in a grocery bag out side tied tight wrapped in another bag for building humidity they grew well.
(i am trying to stress these seeds of neglect to see what happens so do not care if they die --
 I beleive better then just throwing out the seeds in the first place --
 they do not look happy, and that is part of the point ,
but at one time they did.)

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:49:23 AM »
Speaking of that
One of My mamys was left out last year, and froze a little
was amazed it lived as such a tiny tree that died back , but came back.

sadly I think it died or maybe I gifted it for a house plant (gave a friend a bunch of those)

Would always Be happy to stress these , and give out scion where they might do Okay.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:21:27 AM »
Hi, does anyone have any tips for germinating these ?? Thanks. One of the seeds has a slight crack to is ,so it may be starting to ...

Hi
do you have a good source of fresh seeds?
H2O2 is the best and easiest way for desinfection 15' not longer
Mike

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Actually no, those fruits I found in one grocery store ,which has them only this time of the year. Havent seen mameys in other stores anywhere in Bulgaria , I bought five fruits and have 6 seeds to experiment with.
 Is this 15 minutes or seconds for the hydrogen peroxide ?
Right now i'm soaking them in water for 2-3 days ,pryor planting .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:15:31 PM by Plantinyum »

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
You Never use Blech with water.
 0---- I vint wine so I tried sulfites (potassium metabisulfite (or K-meta)

I tried sanitizing seeds with that before pretty cheap to buy.

Tried starting seeds with Elthylene -- or in fruit for a short time before cleaning
Was thinking of getting some banana's and storing seed with the natural occuring ethylene (like in moist sand or something separate )..

I got to say that soaking part for a day is a good thing.

I bring up this Humidity , because I had mango seeds older not grow so well
the younger one left with high amounts of Humidity grew so much thicker, and faster in a shorter time by 2 weeks. (younger)
and yes this was even though it was sheltered from full sun like the others.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »
oops I meant to say I find it Amazing how left over ripe fruit can sprout the seeds from the ethylene of the fruit. (and Vigorous_)

I did some experiments not long ago , but actually do not remember as so much going on. (should write down)

This was of persimmon seed left in fruit to give out ethylene
(web sites say persimmon has something to block seeds from sprouting ,
but I do not believe it before I tried experiment not sure if I do still for that species )

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
Actually no, those fruits I found in one grocery store ,which has them only this time of the year. Havent seen mameys in other stores anywhere in Bulgaria , I bought five fruits and have 6 seeds to experiment with.
15 min max. soaking in 3% hydrogen peroxide You can find it in pharmacies. Lucky you can find such a kind of fruits there. Here i never have seen them in grocery stores
Mike

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
Here in the grocery stores the seeds are almost always sprouted in the fruit. I just stick mine in the soil and wait. Nothing special.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
Here in the grocery stores the seeds are almost always sprouted in the fruit. I just stick mine in the soil and wait. Nothing special.

That is what I did this summer. I put the seeds in some 4" pots with Miracle-Gro potting soil and placed them outside in a place where they could get some morning sun but not be blasted by the August heat. They had all already began cracking in the fruit. They germinated in less than a month and are growing quite vigorously.

Since the original poster is in Bulgaria and it is starting to get cooler in temperate climes, placing them outside will not work. Simply put them in small pots with sterile potting soil on a heating mat or near a radiator or any other place where the temperature is over 70°F.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
I cannot say I disagree but does that country have root maggots (hair like tiny larva/maggots )

I know they say not to over water with these but some of the seeds that take longer I try to keep them from bothering until sprouted

Of coarse keeping the top of soil dry helps in pot I would say if you do have them bad leave dry sand on top is another thing in pot.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »

15 min max. soaking in 3% hydrogen peroxide You can find it in pharmacies. Lucky you can find such a kind of fruits there. Here i never have seen them in grocery stores
[/quote]
MSK I do like them, but just Imagine tasting a pumpkin pie
So not that unique of flavor

Mexican stores here want to charge 8 bucks a pound for these
I am poor, but
I am always trying to find tiny ones more for the seeds sucks when you get em, and they are hard, and manager is a prick about recite
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:24:31 PM by Francis_Eric »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
in have bought from this particular store ,fruits that I did not think I would see here, like jackfruit, salak,cherymoya, tamarind, mangosteen, longan and tree types of passion fruit, but those are the rarer cases. They regularly cary dragonfruit ,papaya, and some mangos that I cannot afford  ;D
I have encountered a sprouted seed the last year I bought from them, it looked good and the root was white and crisp, but it gust rotted . I didnt overwatered thought I dont remember if the heating of the house was on ,like now so it may be the cold that got them...

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 12:59:10 AM »

That is what I did this summer. I put the seeds in some 4" pots with Miracle-Gro potting soil and placed them outside in a place where they could get some morning sun but not be blasted by the August heat. They had all already began cracking in the fruit. They germinated in less than a month and are growing quite vigorously.

Since the original poster is in Bulgaria and it is starting to get cooler in temperate climes, placing them outside will not work. Simply put them in small pots with sterile potting soil on a heating mat or near a radiator or any other place where the temperature is over 70°F.
yeah ,my case is difficult since winter coming now, today I will desinfect and plant them and yes will place them on my radiator next to a window, the one that was originally cracked ,has cracked some more after the water soaking .
Actually I am thinking of starting them in ziplock baggy method ,since seems to me that is the easiest way for keeping them sterile as possible. Last time I planted them in a pre heated soil, in order to sanitise it, but they rotted in the end . Not saying that was the reason thought...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:04:52 AM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk