Author Topic: Domicon, Winten, and Kiew Yovi mangos from Excalibur -- help with names?  (Read 2572 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
I just purchased mangos with these names, but can't find any information on them.

Would anyone know of possible alternative spellings?

Also found Buttercream (or Butter Cream?) at Zill HP.  Were these formerly numbered (so I could search for information on them) ?

Thanks!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I just purchased mangos with these names, but can't find any information on them.

Also found Buttercream (or Butter Cream?) at Zill HP.  Were these formerly numbered (so I could search for information on them) ?

Thanks!

Dominica is the name...sorry you will have to endure sampling it.  Pretty lousy mango, and consistently lousy.

Winters...usually an early season mango (hopefully it was marked correctly); its a seedling of Ono, a Hawaiian variety, possibly crossed with Haden.  Fruit is colorful, fiber free with a somewhat generic mango flavor.  Ok/average on the taste scale.

Khaew Yai /Khao Yai /Kiew Yai...a smallish Thai mango predominantly used for eating green.  Very good for Thai mango salad but not mush worth eating fully ripe.

Buttercream, aka 34-12, aka Pot-O-Gold if you bought mangoes in the past from Walter Zill.  Again, a somewhat average mango in the scope of the "new Zill" varieties IMO however I have known some to really like this one.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden

Thanks!

Dominica is the name...sorry you will have to endure sampling it.  Pretty lousy mango, and consistently lousy.

Winters...usually an early season mango (hopefully it was marked correctly); its a seedling of Ono, a Hawaiian variety, possibly crossed with Haden.  Fruit is colorful, fiber free with a somewhat generic mango flavor.  Ok/average on the taste scale.

Khaew Yai /Khao Yai /Kiew Yai...a smallish Thai mango predominantly used for eating green.  Very good for Thai mango salad but not mush worth eating fully ripe.

Buttercream, aka 34-12, aka Pot-O-Gold if you bought mangoes in the past from Walter Zill.  Again, a somewhat average mango in the scope of the "new Zill" varieties IMO however I have known some to really like this one.

Whats the parentage for "Buttercream".

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

Thanks!

Whats the parentage for "Buttercream".

Edward...no immediate plans to release.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
thanks,
I shouldn't even be thinking of new mangos tree... but i still will ;D

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Thanks, Rob.  Appreciate your help, as always.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk