Author Topic: Easy ways to dig holes  (Read 5474 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Easy ways to dig holes
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
I thought the auger would be perfect, don't do it. All of the 100 bare root Black Walnuts in clay soil were totally root bound in clay pots from the auger smearing. The ones done by hand thrived.

That's why I mentioned what I did - 1,2,3.  An auger will glaze the hole such that you've created a non draining pot in the ground with certain death to the tree.  That hole must be fractured.  Some go to the extreme of taking their auger bit to a welder and have him weld "bits" or sharp "nipples" along the spiral so that it scarify's the sides and bottom.

One of the best, most used, and least expensive tools on the farm.  Knife blade, chisel foot.  This thing has fractured miles of clay. Helps to have a 4WD tractor too regarding wheel spin.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:42:40 AM by Mark in Texas »

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Thank you John!
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
Most likely he is in sand. I live just south of Bradenton where the original poster has his location listed. I have worked quite a few different areas around here and almost all were sand. I am guessing the roots he is dealing with are oak and pine. If the planting is going to be 100 trees I would think I would be worth it to clear and do some sort of mounding or swales. Chip up the trees and use the mulch.
-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
He is also looking for an "easy" way to do it. Many times the easy way is not ideal. Especially putting in 100 trees in one go.
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk