Author Topic: My Aussie Cattle dog thought my new Avacado tree tasted good.  (Read 553 times)

Dipsomaniac

• Castaic
    • View Profile
My Aussie Cattle dog thought my new Avacado tree tasted good.
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:38:10 PM »
I'm  a new member. Names Mark. I reside in Castaic CA. I have a Heeler pup that decided that my recently transplanted Avacado was fun to eat. He loves Avacado fruit. Can't  blame him. Anyhow he took a fair chunk out of trunk near graft of a Home Depot tree I bought on sale in early December. I panicked and did a veneer graft on the wound. It was wood whittlers nightmare with a razorblade to get it to match up. Early December. Found a match that gave me enough meat to work with. It's my first graft and it seems to be sticking. I tried to graft other smaller branches without success except for one other branch that might stick. Cold and wet weather over holidays. I kept trees out of the direct weather still in pots. I didn't have grafting tape so I used plumbers Teflon tape and electrical tape that I had on hand to put the final bind on graft. Was a tight seal and easy to use.

Dipsomaniac

• Castaic
    • View Profile
Re: My Aussie Cattle dog thought my new Avacado tree tasted good.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »
Unable to load pic of graft at this time. Bad cell reception here. Coverd scions with Saran wrap and foil. Way too moist. Smaller grafts turned black. Pulled foil and wrap at this point. Don't  think drying out at this point is a problem. I'm  near a month in. My question is how do you deal with low trunk damage? I might have grafted below the original root stock graft. Thanx for input and advice.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My Aussie Cattle dog thought my new Avacado tree tasted good.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 12:00:51 AM »
Can't say anything about the tree, but hang in there with that dog.  We have a blue heeler as well.  The first year, it was like living with a Tasmanian devil.  After that, she calmed down and has been the best, most loving dog I have ever had.  Such a wonderful breed.