Author Topic: dont understand why julie is not universally loved  (Read 17479 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: dont understand why julie is not universally loved
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
My Julie got axed from the backyard team because it was not good enough.Flavor,flesh yield and texture were its main problems.I am told it performs better in a dry climate.
I assume you mean less humid.  Now whaty I want to know is the humudity in the Caribbean that much lower than SFla (and Mike T's location Down Under) ?

That's a fair question, and the salt breeze could be a difference.  Another factor might be that inland Florida seems to get more morning dew than by the ocean. Where I live now the trees are drenched with dew every morning part of the year; that didn't happen as much when I lived near the ocean.

robguz24

• Kalapana, Big Island of Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My garden near Kalapana, Hawaii
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »
I have a Julie here on the Big Island of Hawaii, not far from Oscar. I'm about 1/3 mile from the coast and it's usually breezy. I think they taste wonderful, but my partner was less impressed. I have only that and a Glenn, and I've gotten many times more fruit off the Julie, and it has stayed a smaller tree so far. Anyway, count me as a fan of it.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »
Zill High Performance Plants is now selling 'Julliette' trees [wholesale] and fruits [retail].  I bought fruit Friday and am waiting for ripening.

'Gary' is a grandson of 'Julie' but doesn't much resemble her, taking more to the pollen source, 'Petigrew'.

'Julie' is a high -maintenance variety, which some persons have learned to cope with, even in very high humidity foggy inland areas.  Years ago I was totally surprised by how large and beautiful a 'Julie' was in the yard of Winston Crosbie out in the acreage west of West Palm Beach.  His back yard nursery is called Royal Ascot.  He is one of our Rare Fruit Council past presidents.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »
I think it depends more on soil. I know of at least half-dozen 20+ year old julie trees here in western broward (~10 miles inland) that do quite well without owner maintenance. The biggest problem I see on those is sooty mold which seems to be common on them. In my particular housing tract, where the builders left us with nasty soil after cutting the canals, julies barely survive and rarely get above 5 feet tall without micronutrient application.

'Julie' is a high -maintenance variety, which some persons have learned to cope with, even in very high humidity foggy inland areas.  Years ago I was totally surprised by how large and beautiful a 'Julie' was in the yard of Winston Crosbie out in the acreage west of West Palm Beach.  His back yard nursery is called Royal Ascot.  He is one of our Rare Fruit Council past presidents.
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:50 AM »
Zill High Performance Plants is now selling 'Julliette' trees [wholesale] and fruits [retail].  I bought fruit Friday and am waiting for ripening.

'Gary' is a grandson of 'Julie' but doesn't much resemble her, taking more to the pollen source, 'Petigrew'.

Is Juliette a version of Julie? And if so how is it different?
Oscar