Author Topic: What a way to start your day. Uggggggggggggg......!  (Read 15476 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: What a way to start your day. Uggggggggggggg......!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Mark i know raccoons from tv only, we can see american tv programs here all day. 

We also see that guy from Vixon(?) he exterminates any plague, also raccoons. I forgot in which state he is living though.

Well i would go for the easy way then, just shoot them. I guess raccoons have no function so they are totally useless.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
Mark i know raccoons from tv only, we can see american tv programs here all day. 

We also see that guy from Vixon(?) he exterminates any plague, also raccoons. I forgot in which state he is living though.

Well i would go for the easy way then, just shoot them. I guess raccoons have no function so they are totally useless.

They make really cool hats.   ::)

Dan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
Many years ago had terrible problem with racoons raiding my corn patch. I put a strand of electric wire around my patch and that cleared up the whole problem in about 1/2 hour's worth of work.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
People don't realize what a pest (ok, maybe this forum does) raccoons are.  Their populations (along with opossums to a lesser extent) have exploded.  They thrive in the urban environment, and have the brains to succeed.  They live in NYC and can judge traffic, doesn't mean a country coon won't get leveled by a pickup, but ya, their PR firm has an unhill battle.  They're shifting from cute bandits that wash their hands, to good for nothing lock-picking thieves.

I just found a pile-o-poo around my trees, I don't currently have anything ready, I suspect it was just browsing and taking notes, probably wrote down my address.

They can be absolutely vicious if cornered.

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »
"Many years ago had terrible problem with racoons raiding my corn patch. I put a strand of electric wire around my patch and that cleared up the whole problem in about 1/2 hour's worth of work."

Oscar,

Do you mean someone has introduced raccoons to the Big Island? Or was this somewhere else?

They would be a worse plague there than I remember mongooses (mongeese?) being...

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »
Yep, most cunning and destructive thieves I've seen and yes they can be VERY vicious.  Friend said he's had a live trap torn up by one.  I've had a few attack/bite the barrel of a rifle, hissing, tearing up anything they can.  If you see a mama with babies, kill it if you can but stay away if you can't.   For Miss Bangkok, these are powerful animals that have long sharp teeth for tearing meat, clawed hands that are as ambidexterous as your hands, and they are pure muscle and can carry rabies.

Out of a potential ton of premium quality grapes (had no bunch rot this year, they were picture perfect), I've lost at least 1,600 lbs. to these bastards, premium clones of merlot, grenache, syrah, mouvedre, petite verdot, etc. 

Gonna try the live electric wire next year.....run it just below the main cordons. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:02:43 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
Many years ago had terrible problem with racoons raiding my corn patch. I put a strand of electric wire around my patch and that cleared up the whole problem in about 1/2 hour's worth of work.

How far above the ground did you place it?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Yep, most cunning and destructive thieves I've seen and yes they can be VERY vicious.  Friend said he's had a live trap torn up by one.  I've had a few attack/bite the barrel of a rifle, hissing, tearing up anything they can.  If you see a mama with babies, kill it if you can but stay away if you can't.   For Miss Bangkok, these are powerful animals that have long sharp teeth for tearing meat, clawed hands that are as ambidexterous as your hands, and they are pure muscle and can carry rabies.

Out of a potential ton of premium quality grapes (had no bunch rot this year, they were picture perfect), I've lost at least 1,600 lbs. to these bastards, premium clones of merlot, grenache, syrah, mouvedre, petite verdot, etc. 

Gonna try the live electric wire next year.....run it just below the main cordons.

So you lost 800 kg out of 1000 and then you are still thinking of a friendly way to get rid of them? Probably you have a shotgun around as being an american so why not just use it? Then you call me a misses? :P

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »
Miss Bangkok  :) 8) (sorry still laughing about this one), here is another educational fact about American raccoons. They don't like looking at naked women  :) ;)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LN3nz89oI

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
Well this one sure looks vicious, what a monster man.

Just saw texas snakehunters on Discovery channel, they just grab em so why can't we grab them raccoons with a long stick used to catch dogs? Actually i still don't understand why they don't shoot the snakes but okay.

Also i saw how they catch wild pigs in usa (discovery channel), with big dogs and by hand. They want to eat them fresh that's why they don't shoot em.

If i had a shotgun at home and had the right to shoot what or who i want on my land then i would not need any advice about what to do.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
"Many years ago had terrible problem with racoons raiding my corn patch. I put a strand of electric wire around my patch and that cleared up the whole problem in about 1/2 hour's worth of work."

Oscar,

Do you mean someone has introduced raccoons to the Big Island? Or was this somewhere else?

They would be a worse plague there than I remember mongooses (mongeese?) being...

No racoons in Hawaii. I was talking about when i lived in California. Plenty racoons there!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »

How far above the ground did you place it?

I think i used for racoons one strand 6-8 inches above the ground. If you want to keep out all critters, including jumping ones, you can use more strands of wire, one on top of the other. Pretty easy to install, and you don't need to be on guard all the time, like you do with a gun.
Oscar

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »
I can endorse the electric fencing (used  for cattle). It works.  Had to give up a pond due to damage by raccoons until it was surrounded by the electric fencing, strands about 12 inches high.  Used to live trap them and relocate them to Texas where Mark lives, but that doesn't work.  Moving these animals simply provides a niche for another to move in.  The populations are pretty stable and young ones usually move on to other areas due to competitive forces.  Take one out, an opportunity for another to move in.  I just live with them, electric fence and all.  Pretty intelligent animal...

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
This is the electric wire system I use for the top of my wooden fence in the corners where they normally come over:

http://www.fishock.com/store/electric-fence-charger?gclid=CNLs75r6-LgCFUui4Aod9ioAGA

You can buy them from Lowes or Home Depot, but may be able to get them cheaper elsewhere, by
shopping around.  They'll handle up to 1000 feet of shockability ( they come with a spool of aluminum wire that is NOT 1000 feet long - maybe 50 or 100 feet, so you may need to buy more of that wire )....I use two strands about 6 inches apart and that has worked fool proof for the 'coons...just remember, if there are trees or high bushes that they can use as bridges to jump or maneuver over the wires, they will find a way.  They are plugged into a normal 110  outlet, and you'll need to protect/cover them from the elements....well rain and snow at least....

There is this one possum that occasionally sneaks in somehow, but s/he's only worm hunting it looks like...

>:(

Gary
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:40:44 PM by MangoFang »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 11:29:07 PM »
When I but up my electric fence for my persimmon's I did two height's first about 8-9"and second wire at about18-20" , they don't get the persimmon's now!!! Second one keep's out the high jumpers. ;)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
Well, with amazement I was able to keep coons out of all of the Tannat and some of the others.  I have an intense and luscious Petite Verdot and Tannat combo fermenting.  Perfect sugar, chemistry, structure should be awesome.  This one could be a real winner. 

We had fun harvesting and crushing.....

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
Those grapes look awesome!

Did you put your shotgun there to show me or to scare the racoons?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Those are some beautiful grapes Mark. 8)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »

I put the gun there for convenience's sake so I could easily shoot any Thai elephant ivory poachers that might wander up on my carport.

Thanks Scott. It's got all the cajones to be a real winner.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:12:25 PM by Mark in Texas »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »

I put the gun there for convenience's sake so I could easily shoot any Thai elephant ivory poachers that might wander up on my carport.

Uggg....what the reason for such hostility?? You can't own a gun in Thailand, so that makes you inferior somehow ???

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »

Uggg....what the reason for such hostility?? You can't own a gun in Thailand, so that makes you inferior somehow ???

Well i 'm just kidding but no nor in Holland or Thailand i can have a gun, only air-rifle or crossbow.
But if i had racoons stealing my fruit or attacking my dog then sure i would get rid of them quickly and had some weapon waiting for them.

I also made wine from grapes many years ago, it was so nice that i had to drink all 14 bottles myself haha, which i did.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
"What man's mind conceives, his character must control."
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »

Hostility?  Was teasing but I see I hit a nerve.  Sorry.  Doesn't make you inferior at all, just vulnerable.   I don't know what your laws are regarding firearm possession.   But since you brought it up, I feel for you - only criminals have guns in Thailand, I assume?  Or, are there absolutely NO firearms to be had in Thailand?  None, legal or illegal?

I do know I hate greedy poachers who butcher helpless elephants for their tusks.  Would not hesitate to shoot them on sight if given half a chance.

That is a 22 rifle I used to dispose of the coons, that's all. I don't keep it in my gator (4 wheeler), it's there in the corner of the carport for convenience sake.  Where I live, every one owns firearms to protect themselves form animals or people who mean them harm.  That's just a way of life here.

Regards,
Mark
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:33:43 AM by Mark in Texas »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: "What man's mind conceives, his character must control."
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »

Hostility?  Was teasing but I see I hit a nerve.  Sorry.  Doesn't make you inferior at all, just vulnerable.   I don't know what your laws are regarding firearm possession.   But since you brought it up, I feel for you - only criminals have guns in Thailand, I assume?  Or, are there absolutely NO firearms to be had in Thailand?  None, legal or illegal?

I do know I hate greedy poachers who butcher helpless elephants for their tusks.  Would not hesitate to shoot them on sight if given half a chance.

That is a 22 rifle I used to dispose of the coons, that's all. I don't keep it in my gator (4 wheeler), it's there in the corner of the carport for convenience sake.  Where I live, every one owns firearms to protect themselves form animals or people who mean them harm.  That's just a way of life here.

Regards,
Mark

Mark i live in Thailand and in Holland (Europe next to Germany) and have never had a fire-weapon in my hands. Only criminals have them or people with a license. In Thailand it is also illegal to have guns and it is illegal to trade in ivory. On the airport though i saw some decorated tusks for sale in an official shop so maybe those tusks are from zoo-elefants or so? I have no idea what they can do with tusks if they are not allowed to sell them openly but sure they will go somewhere.

Also i would like to inform you what i saw in  Hongkong. There are loads of strange medicine-shops there who sell grounded things as medicin. This can be the horn of a Rhino or any other animal/plant/fish grounded into powder and the chinese people pay fortunes for them.

In Thailand they let the elephants play soccer or make paintings for tourists. You can also see them in Bangkok (baby-elefants) and they are there to make pictures and make money.

Since we have programs like American guns or Sons of guns on the tv i learned a lot about americans and their guns. If i lived between rattlesnakes and big wild cats i also would buy me a gun and even bring it with me on my vehicle.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
Thanks for the informative post.

Illegal Spiegel.  I guarantee you those tusks you saw were taken from animals that were slaughtered.   I hope you reported what you saw to authorities (authorities that really care.)  It's a shame there's a market for such stupid stuff in Hong Kong, but that's how Hong Kong rolls and yes, folks will pay top dollar for a placebo.   Plenty of sucker bets to go around.  You know what they say, " a thousand flies on a pile of elephant dung can't be wrong."  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:36:40 PM by Mark in Texas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk