Author Topic: Suggestions For New Fruit Trees?  (Read 15279 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Suggestions For New Fruit Trees?
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
I am looking at adding a few more fruit trees to my collection.  I am in Zone 10 (West Palm Beach, FL).   I currently have:  Mangos, Lychee, Cherry Guava, and Avocado.  The things I am looking for are:  1) Fast growing, 2) Ease of care, 3) High Fruit Yield, 4) Good taste (I like sweet), 5)  No thorns (ouch!).  A long crop cycle would also be nice.  Any suggestions? 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions For New Fruit Trees?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
Longan, Annonas, Canistel, Jujube, Jabotacaba, Muscadine Grapes, and many many more!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
Longan, Annonas, Canistel, Jujube, Jabotacaba, Muscadine Grapes, and many many more!
Based on lawace's requirements, Jaboticaba is out of the question.  First, it is not sweet; and second, since it is not fast growing, unless he is willing to invest big bucks in a mature tree, it would be not an option (plus, as I said, it is not sweet...sory Adam, I would not base a fruit as sweet if eating a miracle fruit prior to eating the main fruit is a requirement).  Jujube may or may not, as while it can have some sweet characteristics, it is also not an outright sweet fruit.

I do agree with Annonas.  Longans are not as sweet as a lychee, and some people really do not like the flavor (while easier than a lychee to grow/fruit, the fruit quality from year to year is inconsistent).  Canistel, again are a love it or leave it fruit that, depending on the variety can range in quality and sweetness).

Trees I would add to the list are jackfruit, sapodilla, more mango varieties, more lychee varieties, bananas, persimmon, mamey sapote, abiu, purple caimito, carambola, monstera, pineapple, mulberry...the list goes on.  A lot depends on one's tastes, wants and of course, how much they want to spend.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
You can't go wrong with a few more varieties of Lychee and Mango.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Pakistani Mulberry

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Based on lawace's requirements, Jaboticaba is out of the question.  First, it is not sweet; and second, since it is not fast growing, unless he is willing to invest big bucks in a mature tree, it would be not an option (plus, as I said, it is not sweet...sory Adam, I would not base a fruit as sweet if eating a miracle fruit prior to eating the main fruit is a requirement). 

Jaboticaba not sweet? Believe me brother, you've never had a good one! Jaboticabas are used for making wine. So they certainly have sugars in them. Sheehan get me that brix reader. BSbullie  is way off the mark here! Bet the brix reading would be comparable to many grapes. Maybe you don't think grapes are sweet??? ::)
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
I agree bsbullie, not sweet unless sweet by itself...but I am looking for an acidic jaboticaba, do u have such a tree that u can access?  All fruits I've had are almost too sweet.  The red is more tart and can be eaten green and firm, when its very tart and somewhat fibrous(stringy).  I eat them however they come, but u can't do this with sabarah ( it's similar to astringent and non astringent persimmon...some jabuticaba can be enjoyed before being ripe.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:46:36 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »
A good question would be how much space do you have? A rule of thumb in my book is to first try the fruit, and other varieties of the same fruit, because taste is extremely subjective. Let the taste be your guide!I currently have muscadine grapes growing only because my brother insists on keeping them while I personally cannot stand the gritty taste to recommend growing them...

I highly recommend jackfruit, Bangkok lemon or MAI1-3 varieties. This is an easy to grow tree in west palm, plus produces lots of great fruit and the seeds can also be eaten. A marsh white grapefruit from home depot is a great option, huge producer of non bitter outstanding grapefruits. I also agree with the other recommendations for mulberry as that is good tasting heavy production an ease to grow. Starfruit is a tremendous producer and easy to grow in west palm.

Sounds like you already are on the right track with the lychee, mango, avocado, maybe add some other cultivars as well.

Let your taste be your guide.

_JoeP450

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »
I would look for the following to grow;

Good Mango variety
Good Lychee variety
Atemoya
Persimmon, that performs well in Florida (Excellent fruit, moderate grower, high productivity)
Jujube, Chinese variety with good size of fruit and sweet taste (some varieties are spineless, moderate grower, sweet fruit)
Yacon (not a fruit, but a tasty sweet tuber crop that produces nicely)
Mulberry is always a good pick (high productivity, sweet, only downside is short storage life)
Papaya (high productivity, sweet fruit, fast growing)
Passiflora (high productivity, tasty fruit, fast growing)
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
Dancy Tangerine and Meyer Lemon. Dancy in the ground and ML can be in a pot if space is a problem.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
If you are willing to try citrus, Minneola tangelos are wonderful. They are also known as Honeybells.

I would second many of the other recommendations, including Pakistani mulberry, bananas (google "going bananas nursery" for some information), a nice jackfruit and sapodilla, and Gefner atemoya.

I think you should consider trees that aren't especially fast growing.  The years will go by whether you plant a sapodilla or not. So you might as well plant one now.

And try a couple of the low-chill peaches.  They are precocious.  The last couple peaches I tasted from my baby Florda Prince tree tasted every bit as good as "real" peaches.  And I'm sure some of the other recent cultivars are as good or better.

But, most important, more mangos, seriously.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:31:51 PM by mangomandan »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
I agree bsbullie, not sweet unless sweet by itself...but I am looking for an acidic jaboticaba, do u have such a tree that u can access?  All fruits I've had are almost too sweet.  The red is more tart and can be eaten green and firm, when its very tart and somewhat fibrous(stringy).  I eat them however they come, but u can't do this with sabarah ( it's similar to astringent and non astringent persimmon...some jabuticaba can be enjoyed before being ripe.)

If you pick jaboticaba unripe, while still hard, then they can be tart. I'm guessing that is the only type of jaboticaba that BSbullie has eaten.
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »

Let your taste be your guide.

_JoeP450

That is a very good golden rule for beginners on what to plant, because if you end up not liking a fruit you plant you will not take care of that tree, and will eventually have to go through work of removing it to make space for ones you really like.
Oscar
Oscar

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Mulberries are great. It's kind of cool to see these blackberry type fruits growing on trees. I'm sure you can get all kinds of citrus and mangos from the neighbors or the store but how often can you get a hold of mulberries?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Mulberries are great. It's kind of cool to see these blackberry type fruits growing on trees. I'm sure you can get all kinds of citrus and mangos from the neighbors or the store but how often can you get a hold of mulberries?

I agree a good use for mulberries is topping off waffles with them, add a little honey or agave syrup as well. So tasty for a breakfast treat!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

I agree a good use for mulberries is topping off waffles with them, add a little honey or agave syrup as well. So tasty for a breakfast treat!

We juice the mulberries in blender together with orange juice, very tasty! My wife also makes mulberry pie:

Oscar
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions; I will be researching them further.  We have a local rare fruit show coming up on Saturday, so I can make a few purchases.  I have 1.25 acres to play.  Thanks again!
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
Jaboticaba not sweet? Believe me brother, you've never had a good one! Jaboticabas are used for making wine. So they certainly have sugars in them. Sheehan get me that brix reader. BSbullie  is way off the mark here! Bet the brix reading would be comparable to many grapes. Maybe you don't think grapes are sweet??? ::)
Oscar

I actually do have some jaboticaba brix readings that I've been meaning to post for the past few days. I was over at Harry's house last week and we testing a bunch of different stuff including a few different varieties of cherimoya. The brix of one jaboticaba was 16.5 and the other was 13.1. That's pretty comparable to grapes I think. I saw a chart where a good brix reading for a grape was about 16 and an excellent rating was 18.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions; I will be researching them further.  We have a local rare fruit show coming up on Saturday, so I can make a few purchases.  I have 1.25 acres to play.  Thanks again!

That is a lot of space then...so I would consider some more varieties of mangoes and lychees if you are as fond of them as most people are.

Have you tried any of the superior varieties of Carambola /starfruit? Not talking about the ones at the grocery store.....you mentioned long crop cycle (they usually have multiple crops a year and have fruit in winter) as well as high yield (most of them over-produce). There are some nice sweet ones like Kari.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »
Well, I don't know what to tell you guys.  I have had many a jabo and I have found them to have a dominant tartness to them (from different sources).  Is it the variety ?  Is it that they are not picked at the right time >  Can't answer.  Do they taste like a grape to me, no...but, I do use them to make the best "grape" jelly you have ever had (but you are adding a lot of sugar to them).

By the way, just cause they have a "high" brix reading does not mean they will be sweet to the palate.  I would not call brix readings between 13-16 high.  As far as grapes for wine goes, to make a true sweet desert wine where botrytis is not a factor (a late harvest or ice wine), a grape's brix readings will be in the 30s.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
Mulberry trees  grow like weeds , and are extremely prolific, here in west palm beach-My only caveat is: Don't plant too close to sidewalks, cars, etc... the fruit stains. Also, birds, squirrels and raccoons love these. The birds do a lot of "dropping" and there are large numbers who go for the tree - so once again, keep the tree away form anything that you don't want to be cleaning daily. My mulberry tree grew over the winter and tripled in size in one year. Home Depot has an everbearing type-that's where mine came from.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Well, I don't know what to tell you guys.  I have had many a jabo and I have found them to have a dominant tartness to them (from different sources).  Is it the variety ?  Is it that they are not picked at the right time >  Can't answer.  Do they taste like a grape to me, no...but, I do use them to make the best "grape" jelly you have ever had (but you are adding a lot of sugar to them).

By the way, just cause they have a "high" brix reading does not mean they will be sweet to the palate.  I would not call brix readings between 13-16 high.  As far as grapes for wine goes, to make a true sweet desert wine where botrytis is not a factor (a late harvest or ice wine), a grape's brix readings will be in the 30s.

You have to pick jaboticaba when starting to soften to the touch. Most people do pick them under ripe because they are black in color and can still be green inside. Also you should not eat the skin. Most of the tartness, in form of tannic acid is in the skin. So if you don't like tart, then remove the skin, or just pop it out of the skin. It's like any other fruit, you have to know when and how to eat it, before you judge it.
Oscar
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »
Go with a star fruit. Seems to meet all of your requirements.

Do you guys have prblems with bugs in your mulberries? I have two trees that produce a good amount of berries, but I never eat them because every fruit I open has very small (about 1mm) white worms in them.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »
Go with a star fruit. Seems to meet all of your requirements.

Do you guys have prblems with bugs in your mulberries? I have two trees that produce a good amount of berries, but I never eat them because every fruit I open has very small (about 1mm) white worms in them.

Thanks for ruining mulberries for me. I've never looked inside. I always just pick them and eat them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
Never seen worms or any other bugs in the mulberries here.
Oscar
Oscar

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
1) Fast growing, 2) Ease of care, 3) High Fruit Yield, 4) Good taste (I like sweet), 5)  No thorns (ouch!

Fast growing is the problem... Sweet is another and relative. To me papaya, banana and starfruit meet all your criteria, though your palate may not agree.
Regards,

Gary

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
Sapodilla grows very well here- not a "fast grower" but you will get fruit the first year

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
No worms in my mulberries so far.  When I eat Surinam cherries I chew quickly, in case something in there is alive.
Worms inside fruit are considered low in fat and cholesterol.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Sapodilla grows very well here- not a "fast grower" but you will get fruit the first year
Getting fruit from the "first year" depends on the size tree and variety of sap.  It is no given the tree will set and/or hold fruit as a small tree (3 or 7 gal).
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
I  got fruit pretty much within the first few months of planting my alano ( 7 gallon)- my sister has a Tikal which also fruited within a year- thats my experience anyway

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
The white "worms" on the mulberry may just be the remaining flower parts.. The do look a little like worms!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
No worms in my mulberries so far.  When I eat Surinam cherries I chew quickly, in case something in there is alive.
Worms inside fruit are considered low in fat and cholesterol.

No worms in surinam cherry either here. I think fruit flies don't like fruits high in acidity, like surinam and mulberry. Never seen any of these stung.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
At my house, mulberries get no worms, but tiny sweet ants love to graze on the fruits and get into and among the fruit.  Surinam Cherries, on the other hand, are quite frequent recipients of fruit fly attention.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
Wow Jsvand5, thats strange.  I have never had worms in my mulberries and have a huge Pakistan, plus I don't think I live too far from you..  I also recently added a Silk Hope and Shangrila. 

natsgarden123

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
No worms or ants on the mulberry here in West Palm beach, BUT the squirrels and birds devour my fruit - I have an Everbearing Variety which tastes good ( a little on the tart side) - it makes amazing preserves. If you want a very fast growing tree ( which I don't think you can kill even if you tried) with fruit right away-I , like others here,  recommend the mulberry- albeit planted away from the house .

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Wow Jsvand5, thats strange.  I have never had worms in my mulberries and have a huge Pakistan, plus I don't think I live too far from you..  I also recently added a Silk Hope and Shangrila.

Who did you get the silk hope and Shangri-la from. Those are the types I have. I have sent some cuttings off over the years so I am wondering if they may actually be originally from my trees.

Mine are definitely some type of bug. When I pull a berry apart I can see them moving. The wierd part is that they are not actually in the flesh itself. They seem to be in all of the small spacesbetween the flesh. I have a bunch of berries developing now so I'll see what happens this year. I'll try to take a pic if I see them, but they are so small I am not sure the camera will pick it up.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »
Heck, most of the Jaboticabas I get are really sweet! Maybe if you pick them unripe then they could be real tart. Make sure you pick them as dark as possible. They are sweeter than most grapes!
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Heck, most of the Jaboticabas I get are really sweet! Maybe if you pick them unripe then they could be real tart. Make sure you pick them as dark as possible. They are sweeter than most grapes!
FGM

Jaboticabas can be totally black and still be under ripe. You need to squeeze them and make sure they are softening up in order to find out if they are ripe.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:08 AM »
Ok, all, I will have to retry the jabos when they are not only black but soft in "texture" when squeezing.  Maybe I have always been eating them underripe.

On another note, I had white mulberry for the first time tonight.  Damn, now there is a super sweet yummy fruit.  Hands down, the best tasting of all the mulberries I have had.  If you have the space for a tree, I would definitely recommend one.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 01:28:03 AM »
Ok, all, I will have to retry the jabos when they are not only black but soft in "texture" when squeezing.  Maybe I have always been eating them underripe.

On another note, I had white mulberry for the first time tonight.  Damn, now there is a super sweet yummy fruit.  Hands down, the best tasting of all the mulberries I have had.  If you have the space for a tree, I would definitely recommend one.

Don't forget also to discard the jaboticaba skin. Lots of people think they are like grapes and eat them skin and all. The skin has tannic acids and is quite tart.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »

Don't forget also to discard the jaboticaba skin. Lots of people think they are like grapes and eat them skin and all. The skin has tannic acids and is quite tart.
Oscar
That I know.  I usually "pop" the jabo pulp from the skin and don't put the whole jabo in my mouth.  I don't eat or chew on the skin.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »
To me, once a jabo is beginning to get soft, it is over ripe. My way of knowing when ripeness is perfect is by size and more importantly, the way the fruit is held by the tree.  When ripe, the fruits sort of hang slightly and are no longer held out at 90 degrees from the trunk. But, this can be a bit deceiving when there is very thick fruit production.  The fruits cluster so tightly that even the most mature, ripe and full fruits are held in place by th other closely held fruits.  That's when size of the fruits is my guide.  My preference is for the fruit to be very firm with no give. I pop the whole fruit in my mouth, pop it open, enjoy the white flesh and spit the seeds and skin.  I never have any issue with the skin either in tartness nor tanin.  And I am very sensitive and do not care for tanins.  So, I am not sure how anyone is enncountering any problem with this process.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
Oscar/Harry/Adam - ok, I concede   :-[  I followed your instructions and picked a jabo...well, um, ahhh...ok, you were 100% correct.  Fruit was sweet and delish.  I have been eating underripe fruit this whole time.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
U r like me','impatient and love to eat fruit...jaboticaba is one of most deceptive fruits to those who are not experienced in eating them regularly.  They are fibrous and tart if eaten early...when ripe they are silky and sweet.  Not all jaboticaba are so sweet!  M. cauliflora generally makes a more tart fruit than M.jaboticaba, and is a slightly smaller tree. 

How do u prefer your Jabo now?  Early, or ripe?  Or both??  Get used to both, and u will beat birds and other thieves!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:33:24 AM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
Oscar/Harry/Adam - ok, I concede   :-[  I followed your instructions and picked a jabo...well, um, ahhh...ok, you were 100% correct.  Fruit was sweet and delish.  I have been eating underripe fruit this whole time.
Oh wow! A convert!!!  :D

Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
U r like me','impatient and love to eat fruit...jaboticaba is one of most deceptive fruits to those who are not experienced in eating them regularly.  They are fibrous and tart if eaten early...when ripe they are silky and sweet.  Not all jaboticaba are so sweet!  M. cauliflora generally makes a more tart fruit than M.jaboticaba, and is a slightly smaller tree. 

How do u prefer your Jabo now?  Early, or ripe?  Or both??  Get used to both, and u will beat birds and other thieves!!

Every fruit is deceptive... if you don't know the proper way to eat it. Just remembered funny incident of first time for somebody here eating a starapple (caimito). They told me how terrible this fruit was. When i asked them how they ate it they said they just bit right into it like an apple. Later they had a terrible stomach ache. Worse case scenario is somebody eating an akee for first time without any guidance.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk