Author Topic: Everbearing Sapodilla  (Read 15648 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Everbearing Sapodilla
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »
Makok would probably be a good one to try to propagate from seed. The makok is super precocious, and that precocity seems to translate over to sexually propagated offspring. My neighbors planted out a makok seedling, and it started to flower within like 3 years at a height of about 5 feet.
Jeff  :-)

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
I've yet to see the fruit or taste it, but I've been shocked by the precocity of my small grafted Silas Woods.  It's about 6 months post-graft, 18 inches high in a gallon pot, and has 5 flower buds on it now.

Kevin

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
Yep. Makok is same. Silas woods is really good: very smooth, white flesh. Growth and production habits seem to be very similar to makok (perhaps silas woods is a makok seedling?).

I've yet to see the fruit or taste it, but I've been shocked by the precocity of my small grafted Silas Woods.  It's about 6 months post-graft, 18 inches high in a gallon pot, and has 5 flower buds on it now.

Kevin

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »
Makok would probably be a good one to try to propagate from seed. The makok is super precocious, and that precocity seems to translate over to sexually propagated offspring. My neighbors planted out a makok seedling, and it started to flower within like 3 years at a height of about 5 feet.
You say three years from being planted...how many years from seed germination to the point where it was planted out?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
In comparing texture, the Silas Woods, Makok, and Alano are all smooth with very low to no stone cell content.

As far as flavor, Silas Woods is the mildest, Makok a little more brown sugar flavor but Alano is by far the sweetest with the most brown sugar flavor.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Ahh, I mean 3 years from germination.

You say three years from being planted...how many years from seed germination to the point where it was planted out?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
yes, silas woods is my favorite of the 3 rating on flavor only, due to the fact that it's mild.

In comparing texture, the Silas Woods, Makok, and Alano are all smooth with very low to no stone cell content.

As far as flavor, Silas Woods is the mildest, Makok a little more brown sugar flavor but Alano is by far the sweetest with the most brown sugar flavor.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
yes, silas woods is my favorite of the 3 rating on flavor only, due to the fact that it's mild.

"Mild?" Lightweight...    Sorry could not resist.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
How about the "Brown Sugar" variety. How does it compare taste/texture wise to the rest? Seems like tall trees.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
How about the "Brown Sugar" variety. How does it compare taste/texture wise to the rest? Seems like tall trees.
Brown Sugar has what I would say is the strongest brown sugar flavor but is also has the highest stone cell or grit content.  If you don't mind the grittiness it is a very good sapodilla.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
HAHAHAHAH Yah, makok is too much for me :-).

"Mild?" Lightweight...    Sorry could not resist.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
Silas Woods is a decent sap but has some serious issues with limb breakage. A grower friend of mine actually replaced all his Silas Woods trees with other cultivars because of this.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
Silas Woods is a decent sap but has some serious issues with limb breakage. A grower friend of mine actually replaced all his Silas Woods trees with other cultivars because of this.
yes, true...if yo thin the fruit it will alleviate the problem and also give you larger sized fruit.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
Interesting. The only issue I've had with limb breakage has been from the raccoons which absolutely adore the sap's and climb the trees to get at them. They seem to eat about 75% of my makok crop. My wife gets so mad at the raccoons (los mapaches) that she has talked about yanking the makok to spite them :-).

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
Interesting. The only issue I've had with limb breakage has been from the raccoons which absolutely adore the sap's and climb the trees to get at them. They seem to eat about 75% of my makok crop. My wife gets so mad at the raccoons (los mapaches) that she has talked about yanking the makok to spite them :-).

Take a few ripe makok fruits and use them as bait for some traps.  ;D
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

Cookie Man - do you have a Silas Woods?  Not including storm damage or from human or animal damage, I have only seen limb breakage from actual fruit overload in a Silas Woods.  While Makoks do produce a lot of fruit on each limb, I have seen a lot of Silas Woods producing more.  In any event (whether SW producing more than Makok or vice versa), since I have only seen the limb breakage with a SW, I would have to think that the limbs are just naturally weaker or more brittle in a SW, giving it a more natural tendency to breakage from weight..
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Ahh OK. My silas woods trees are in 10 and 15 gal respectively. They seem to produce less than my makok, but perhaps that's just due to being potted. My makok produces gobs of fruit, but the limbs on the makok are like rubber and never break -- except for when mr raccoon comes to enjoy his midnight snack.

Cookie Man - do you have a Silas Woods?  Not including storm damage or from human or animal damage, I have only seen limb breakage from actual fruit overload in a Silas Woods.  While Makoks do produce a lot of fruit on each limb, I have seen a lot of Silas Woods producing more.  In any event (whether SW producing more than Makok or vice versa), since I have only seen the limb breakage with a SW, I would have to think that the limbs are just naturally weaker or more brittle in a SW, giving it a more natural tendency to breakage from weight..