Author Topic: Growing Tropical Fruits in Aruba  (Read 1289 times)

kennybal12

• Aruba
    • View Profile
Growing Tropical Fruits in Aruba
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Dear All,

I am a Horticulturist from Aruba. I studied horticulture in The Netherlands. I moved back to Aruba a few months ago, i have a large piece of land which i am going to use to start a tropical and exotic fruit orchard. I have a couple of Jack Fruit trees growing. i wanted to ask for any input on what would grow good in our Dry and Hot climate. I have many different seeds arriving soon. I want to grow different Annona varieties. Yet i had much difficulty sprouting the Jackfruit tree. Can anyone suggest me on things i need to look out for when trying to grow these varieties here on the Island.

Your input is much appreciated.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Tropical Fruits in Aruba
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
I've been to Aruba but many long years ago, 1973. Yes, it is fully tropical but very dry and windy. Windbreaks and water conservation seems like some good ideas. Making use of cactus or even specializing in cacti or other dry land fruits might be the way to go.

I don't know if Joe Simcox ever fulfilled his project but he was planning something in Aruba and it sounded good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amjTI-HCwF0

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Hello! You should be able to grow almost anything provided you have the right mirco climate!  Mango, breadfruit, mamey, barbedos cherry, and strawberry tree should do well in your climate with mulch and a watering system.

The Florida keys is the driest part of Florida and I do know that Adolf Grimal made large holes in the earth and poured good soil into it for the more sensitive plants. He also had little boxes of shade for young trees to protect the tender new leaves from sun and wind. If you can start a living fence for the wind. Gumbo limbo, seagrape, dogwood, and ironwood are what I personally like.

Also check out Shamus O'Leary YouTube channel. I am amazed to see some of the stuff that has managed to grow in a place as extreme as Phoenix AZ.

Good luck!  8)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:29:43 PM »
These trees should do well in your area.

Sapodilla
Spanish lime
Raul's Spanish lime
Ilama
Eggfruit
Black sapote
White sapote (might need some chill hours)
Manila Tamarind
Passion Fruit
Custard Apple
Mountain soursop

Mango
Grape
Figs
Guava
Water apple
June plum
Jujube
Lychee (might need some chill hours)
Longan (might need some chill hours)
Citrus (might need some chill hours)
Mulberry
Acerola cherry
Jamun
Jackfruit
Moh'd

kennybal12

• Aruba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Thank you everyone for the reactions. I have some jackfruit and breadfruit growing now, im awaiting more seeds to arrive from the states, spanish lime is a feuit that grows naturaly and barbados cherry also, custard apple is something i really want to grow and star apple. Any tips for those 2 varieties?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
Go for sugar apple(Annona squamosa) and Soursop(Annona muricata) first then if enough room custard apple(Annona reticulata) and other annonas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk