Author Topic: Grafting soursop on cherimoya  (Read 6360 times)

HoangNguyen

• US, California, San Jose, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Grafting soursop on cherimoya
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
I didn't realize how easy to graft soursop on cherimoya.  I grafted 3 branches on cherimoya seedling, and they all took and are growing well.  I wonder if the soursop grafted on cherimoya will handle the cold as well as (or little less than) cherimoya does.  I posted the topic from other forum but didn't get many responses; therefore, I post here now.  Anyway, this winter will answer my question. 

Did anybody graft soursop on pawpaw?

I am living in San Jose, CA (9b)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting soursop on cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »
Wow, thAts exciting. I thought it was difficult to graft Soursop onto Cherimoya. I think I'll try a couple for myself. If it works, I'll try double rootstock cherimoya and graft Whitman fiberless sweet soursop on top. Thanks for the information!

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »
Even here in 10b, soursop can be problematic with winter temps.  From what i have seen in this area, seedlings do much better and seem to be more hardy than grafted soursop.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »
I didn't realize how easy to graft soursop on cherimoya.  I grafted 3 branches on cherimoya seedling, and they all took and are growing well.  I wonder if the soursop grafted on cherimoya will handle the cold as well as (or little less than) cherimoya does.  I posted the topic from other forum but didn't get many responses; therefore, I post here now.  Anyway, this winter will answer my question. 

Congrats Hoang! Behl and I have been trying to do this for a while and have failed. It looks like green on green and late summer is the formula for success :) Soursop seedlings, 2-3 years in the ground,have done very well for me here in La Habra but they defoliate at 40F....it bounces back nicely I'm wait for it to bloom. I assume the plant is in a pot?? I would leave it out all winter unprotected to test the cold hardiness of cherimoya rootstock.   

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:45 PM »
Congrats,Hoang. Very encouraging. BTW, when did you do the grafting?

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:44:29 PM »
Frank,
A friend of my parents is grafting soursop on cherimoya (she owns a nursery in Orange County). She said since soursop is drier than cherimoya, so if your soursop scions are from the branches which are 1 year old or more, your grafts will fail. Soursop scions should be taken from branches of 6-8 months old. That's why people graft soursop on late Summer ( they get soursop scions from the young branches that budded on the Spring).
Tam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 01:06:08 AM »
Hoang, what variety of Cherimoya did you use for rootstock?

Simon

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
You can also graft the other way around. You can graft a true cherimoya onto a graviola (Annona muricata).  My tree is growing quite well, here in hot and humid, southwest Florida. It is just an experiment. The tree has flowered, and I removed the first few flowers! Next year, let's see what will happen!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
You can also graft the other way around. You can graft a true cherimoya onto a graviola (Annona muricata).  My tree is growing quite well, here in hot and humid, southwest Florida. It is just an experiment. The tree has flowered, and I removed the first few flowers! Next year, let's see what will happen!

I have seen true cherioya grown here in SE Florida.  From my experience, albeit limited, its not the flowering that seems to be the issue but the setting of fruit holding to maturity.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
Frank,
A friend of my parents is grafting soursop on cherimoya (she owns a nursery in Orange County). She said since soursop is drier than cherimoya, so if your soursop scions are from the branches which are 1 year old or more, your grafts will fail. Soursop scions should be taken from branches of 6-8 months old. That's why people graft soursop on late Summer ( they get soursop scions from the young branches that budded on the Spring).
Tam

Tam
Thanks for the tip I will graft next year but as Rob mention there might not be any purpose to graft soursop since seedlings are more cold hardy.

HoangNguyen

• US, California, San Jose, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Thank for all inputs.   Soursop has lateral roots; so it recoveries from the cold quite well as same as avocado.  However, it doesn't like temperature below 40F.  In my area, the best time to graft annona family is the beginning of August (after extreme hot weather)

Simon, you did quite a good job on planting fruit trees in containers.  The cherimoya rootstock is the seedling of my 8 year seedling.  My 8 year seedling provides fruits for 2 years and got killed by December 2013 cold (In addition, I tried to graft different varieties on this seedling.  Those grafting  weakened it, and it died. )

bsbullie,  you are right.  The seedling of soursop is more hardy than grafted soursop (I assume you mean soursop on soursop.)  I have a seedling soursop.  It grows fast from June to November.  it is 1 yr old but very bushy and its trunk is about my thumb.  My friend bought a grafted soursop from LA and brought back to Fremont.  It was about 1-1/2 foot tall.  He put it in greenhouse.  It never grew taller and later died.   

JF, yes, the time of graft  and the type of wood are the key of success for grafting the soursop on cherimoya.  It is in container without bottom.   I planted it between the houses to prevent wind and cold.

Tam, you are right.

Berto,  grafting cherimoya on soursop also works.  My area has wet cold winter.  Root of soursop doesn't like wet cold soil.   I can't use soursop as rootstock for Annona family. 

Does anybody graft soursop on pawpaw?  I have 5 inches pawpaw seedling.  I will try when it gets big enough. 

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »
I didn't realize how easy to graft soursop on cherimoya.  I grafted 3 branches on cherimoya seedling, and they all took and are growing well.  I wonder if the soursop grafted on cherimoya will handle the cold as well as (or little less than) cherimoya does.  I posted the topic from other forum but didn't get many responses; therefore, I post here now. Anyway, this winter will answer my question. 

Just wondering, if you care to share and give any updates on your grafted soursop into cherimoya, especially during the past Winter of 2015 and 2016?

Hope yours are successful, if so, I would like to do the same, since I got few tiny seedlings growing at the moment...Thanks, Hoang!
Sam

Si Duong

• Hayward, Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:47:20 AM »

Hoang, did you use the scion from 1 year old soursop seedling to graft on that cherimoya?

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:41 PM »
any updates on these soursops grafted on cherimoya if they're cold hardier? Thinking of trying this in fall.

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
I haven’t grafted soursop onto pawpaw. But I have read of someone grafting cherimoya onto pawpaw and the cherimoya did take until the pawpaw went into its dormancy period. I would imagine the same happening to soursop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk