Author Topic: Ylang Ylang?  (Read 2334 times)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Ylang Ylang?
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:27:06 AM »
Please bear with me. I know Ylang Ylang is not a tropical fruit, but I value the knowledge of the forum members here, so I am asking for your help. I am looking for a plant, actually a flower, from my childhood in Saigon, Vietnam. I included the location to say that the plant , which I never saw, was tropical. All I remember was my friend bringing what she called "Hoa Mong Rong" (literally translated as: Dragon Claw Flowers) to class. I did some search on the web and I think they maybe Ylang Ylangs. But if my memory serves me right, they resembled cacti more than the pictures of the Ylang Ylang flowers that I see on the web. They were (cactus) green, not yellow, with stiff curved petals. The flowers were the size of a small lemon with petals shaped like small curved fingers. They were very fragrant. That's all I can remember. If you grow Ylang Ylangs or have knowledge of them, your input is greatly appreciated.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: Ylang Ylang?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 05:03:15 AM »
Not sure about this one.

There is a so-called "Ylang-Ylang Vine" - ARTABOTRYS HEXAPETALUS.    As opposed to the standard Cananga odorata ("Ylang-ylang").  I saw a few pictures of the flowers opened, but still green while searching online.

Another option may be the Vietnamese Gardenia, but these aren't cacti either.

lazdoggy

• SoCal 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »
Not sure about this one.

There is a so-called "Ylang-Ylang Vine" - ARTABOTRYS HEXAPETALUS.    As opposed to the standard Cananga odorata ("Ylang-ylang").  I saw a few pictures of the flowers opened, but still green while searching online.

Another option may be the Vietnamese Gardenia, but these aren't cacti either.

Appears Sonny is on the right track.

http://cayhoacanh.com/cay-hoa-mong-rong/

Towards the bottom there is a list of species that all have common name starting with "mong rong".  Also a picture of what appears to be green flowers shaped like fingers.

James

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:49:16 AM »
Thank you so much, Sonny. I think it was ARTABOTRYS HEXAPETALUS. I just googled the name, and found this blog. The flower pictured is the closest to what I remember, and, get this, the author said he took the pictures in South Vietnam. Here is the link.
https://anthrome.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/is-this-artabotrys-hexapetalus-anonaceae/
Now I need to find the plant.  :)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
Thanks, James. I saw your post after I posted mine.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
Oscar has seeds for one version of ylang ylang

http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistUSA.html

Mine are just under 6 inches, don't know how they will do.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
Oscar has seeds for one version of ylang ylang

http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistUSA.html

Mine are just under 6 inches, don't know how they will do.

Mine are Artabotrys uncinatus. They look similar to the one in the photo in above link.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:21:28 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »
Thank you, Jack and Oscar. I am still holding out for the Hexapetalus, although the Uncinatus looks prettier.
I just now noticed that there were 2 responses to the article I posted the link above, and one of them was from our own Luc (Vleeracker). The world is small indeed.