Poll

What's the most you'd spend per pound on a fruit?

None.  Grow my own, or find a source (friend, etc.) FREE!
Just what I pay at the local produce store, No extra $ to spend, but will buy.
Willing to pay extra, but not break my wallet, no more than approx $3-5 per lb.
Willing to pay a tax rare fruit tax! (hope to recoup on seeds!) over $5 up to $10 per lb.
Willing to donate an arm and leg, kidney, eyeball, or walk 1,000 miles just to be the man (woman) who ate this fruit!

Author Topic: What's the most you'd spend per pound on a fruit?  (Read 7446 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

Lots of reasons to spend, and to save your $.

I fall into the category of being willing to sacrifice body parts like Lycheeluva (left mammary gland).

;)

Where do you fit in???
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most you'd spend per pound on a fruit?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
I picked the first one.  :) When it comes to mamey sapote, I have to go to the grocery store to buy some. But as soon as my mamey sapote trees give fruit, I won't even need to do that.
Alexi

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
3 to 5, but for a ripe durian $10/pound, no problem!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
every year between may 20 and jul 10, i spend about about $700mon lychees and about $150 on mangosteen. I pay $2-5 a pound for lychees and $8-10 a pound for mangosteen.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
Having 2 fruit orchards i have no shortage of fruits to eat, usually a lot more than i can handle. About the only fruits i will buy for myself if i see really good quality ones are persimmon, cherimoya, cherries, and watermelon. Maybe a mango if it's local and way offseason. Oh yes, durians if i have a durian craving.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »

Lots of reasons to spend, and to save your $.

I fall into the category of being willing to sacrifice body parts like Lycheeluva (left mammary gland).

;)

Where do you fit in???

I think the most I've ever paid was $30 or $40 a pound for some fruit. That included shipping. Wouldn't do it again.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
A few days ago I saw vine ripened tomatoes in a local store for $11 per pound.  These might not even be organic.

Cherimoyas routinely sell for $9 each.

All imported of course.

I have paid $4 for a single persimmon )$12 per pound?)

Passion fruit also sells for ridiculous prices per pound $4 for one fruit, as do figs (I have seen hem for $3 for one little fruit).

Welcome to Bermuda.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
A few days ago I saw vine ripened tomatoes in a local store for $11 per pound.  These might not even be organic.

Cherimoyas routinely sell for $9 each.

All imported of course.

I have paid $4 for a single persimmon )$12 per pound?)

Passion fruit also sells for ridiculous prices per pound $4 for one fruit, as do figs (I have seen hem for $3 for one little fruit).

Welcome to Bermuda.

I can understand imported fruits costing so much, but why are figs and passinfruits so expensive in Bermuda? Seems like those could easily be grown locally?
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
Passion fruit, yes.  I suppose people can't be bothered by how muh space they take up.  Figs grow here too but are not as popular.  Grafted trees are very very hard to come by.   A friend is meant to be air layering a Osborne prolific...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
Passion fruit, yes.  I suppose people can't be bothered by how muh space they take up.  Figs grow here too but are not as popular.  Grafted trees are very very hard to come by.   A friend is meant to be air layering a Osborne prolific...

No fences in Bermuda? You can grow passionfruit right on a chain linked fence, takes no space, and turns ugly fence into something nice to look at. Figs you don't need to graft. Super easy to start from cuttings.
Oscar
Oscar

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
If the fruit's right (mango perfection, etc) or hard to get and delicious (mangosteen) I'm willing to donate body parts!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
I know plenty of people travel all the way to Thailand just to eat their way through a giant pile of fruits. Fruit there is ridiculously cheap, but when you factor in your flight and other expenses then how much is that fruit costing per pound?
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »

No fences in Bermuda? You can grow passionfruit right on a chain linked fence, takes no space, and turns ugly fence into something nice to look at. Figs you don't need to graft. Super easy to start from cuttings.
Oscar

I agree.  I have 4 vines climbing a wall, no trellis just the other vines for support and once they grow past the wall a neighbours hedge 6ft up on higher ground).  I should do a chain link as a quick way to replace the inedible hedge (if it was up to me only.....)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
I know plenty of people travel all the way to Thailand just to eat their way through a giant pile of fruits. Fruit there is ridiculously cheap, but when you factor in your flight and other expenses then how much is that fruit costing per pound?
Oscar

The all-you-can-eat durian farms with ~10 spp sound like alot of fun.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
BMc,
Please send me half a ton of durian!  ;D  I just ate a frozen one from Thailand...not the same thing!  Next week, I fill up the tank with fantastic fruits in northeast Brasil. Not cheap, but superb quality! A few yeasr ago, I paid 4 or 5 Reais for one (1) maracuja doce (passiflora alata), worth every cent!  1 US dollar= R$ 1.73

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
Yikes! That's some serious lychee grubbing. Good fruit and good veggies are worth some decent money, but I probably wouldn't plunk down more than $3 to $4 a pound. It looks like lychee prices are going to be in the sky this year, so I'll be substituting mangoes instead.

every year between may 20 and jul 10, i spend about about $700mon lychees and about $150 on mangosteen. I pay $2-5 a pound for lychees and $8-10 a pound for mangosteen.
Jeff  :-)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
I would pay $10 per lb for something really rare that I had not tried before. My regular max $$ would be about $5 lb.  Bill Whitman once told me that Langsat sold for $20 per lb in Hawaiian fruit markets and that they usually sold out.   
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »
I would pay $10 per lb for something really rare that I had not tried before. My regular max $$ would be about $5 lb.  Bill Whitman once told me that Langsat sold for $20 per lb in Hawaiian fruit markets and that they usually sold out.

Don't know what market Whitman went to, but here langsat usually sells for $5-6 a pound. Problem is you hardly ever find it for sale. Most of the growers are Filipinos and they eat it themselves.
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
Don't mind paying very high price for a fruit, as long as it has a very poor fruit to seed ratio. Then i eat the fruit and plant the seeds and sell the plants or the seeds.  ;) So the fruit turns out to be free. Hey there's gotta be some reward for being a nurseryman.  :D
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
U said it Oscar,

think about the golden dorsett, that's how to plant a seed!  Think of all of the weird stuff we'd have if everyone planted seeds...maybe it's best most die...and fruit nuts like us plant them all!

I'm still willing to pay a high price, for a chance to taste something I may never get to taste.

I always love feeding my grandma something new and rare (she's 89yrs).  Each time I feed her something she's never had, it makes me think...that took 89 yrs for her to finally taste it...."its ok" is what she says! :( :( :( ;D

So, to taste something once, that you may die without tasting...It's better to have love and lost, than to have never loved at all... ;)

Loved the way that atemoya tasted, but I lost my money in the process. :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk