Author Topic: Budwood overage  (Read 1457 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Budwood overage
« on: June 17, 2019, 04:42:04 PM »
Early Feb. This year I had the opportunity to cut budwood from a 15 year old white grapefruit. It bears tons of fruit each year with no cold protection besides being on the South side of the house. I cut 12 good budsticks from it and refrigerated them. Alas when April rolled around I was out of rootstock. So I got out the hormone, cut and install them in rooting tub. They all took off and are growing well. Since grapefruit does not do well on its own roots I have decided to use the cuttings for buds and chip grafting this fall. Since they came from the top of a good bearing tree I see no drawbacks (bearing timewise) or other drawbacks for doing this. I have done it with satsumas and poncirus with success. Any opionions? Share your thoughts.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Budwood overage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:25:57 PM »
Who told you grapefruit doesn't do well on it's own roots? Grapefruit does fantastic on it's own roots. I have 2 25+ foot seeding grapefruit in my yard & there are quite a few more in the area. There's a old woman here in Summerville that started a grapefruit from seed up in NY in the early 70's. When she moved down here she brought her "house plant" with her & planted it in her back yard. It is still growing there & doing fine after all these years.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
I see what you mean. I have tried to raise ruby red on its own roots several times and the slight cold that we get killed them. Truth be told. I gave no cold protection until they were estabilished....perhaps I should have.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Mine are ruby reds & have never had any protection. I took the seeds from a fruit I bought at Publix. They came right trough the cold blast we had in Jan 2018 where we bottomed out at 16F without a problem. They only produced a few fruit last year, but are loaded back up this year.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:06:48 PM by Laaz »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Just to give you an idea...

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
Well perhaps I shall keep several of these budsticks and plant them. Worth giving a shot. Thanks for the pics. They look good.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
I have actually seen the grapefruit tree in Summerville, that the woman planted.  She was not home when Laaz and I visited, but we looked at her tree over the backyard fence.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
Cool. I am gonna plant some of these. I do not have but a few container citrus...mostly limes. Everything else is in the ground. Our winters are mild for the most part but we get a cold one occasionally. If gfruit does ok in SC it can do so here. I think I read about you two peeping over the fence in Modern Peeper Magazine.😎

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »
I took budwood from her tree & have a grafted tree of her grapefruit out front. Excellent quality fruit.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
That is the reason I took this budwood. The fruit is great, tree is cold hardy in Hattiesburg Mississippi and is 15 years old. In my opinion a very desirable tree. I dont blame you for wanting budwood.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk