Author Topic: Drip irrigation recommended or not?  (Read 6302 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Drip irrigation recommended or not?
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
I'm in SW Florida, with sandy soil.  I was considering drip irrigation to each fruit tree, until I did some more research on the web tonight. 

It seems that there might not be a significant benefit to drip irrigation with my fruit trees since we have sandy soil.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any firsthand experiences?

Thanks,
Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Drip irrigation recommended or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:14:13 AM »
I'm in SW Florida, with sandy soil.  I was considering drip irrigation to each fruit tree, until I did some more research on the web tonight. 

It seems that there might not be a significant benefit to drip irrigation with my fruit trees since we have sandy soil.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any firsthand experiences?

Thanks,
Brad

I had many acres under drip irrigation in San Diego, where the soil was very sandy. Still very beneficial, you just need to use more emitters as the soil is not absorbent. Also you can use micro sprinklers for better soil coverage. Low pressure systems don't mean you necessarily have to use drip emitters.
Oscar

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »
Brad,
Im on the East coast of South Florida, I have some sandy soil in my yard mixed in with some other stuff.  I use a drip line for my jaboticabas and I have them on timers with a micro sprinkler.  It works well to keep them moist but not too much where it doesnt allow them to drain.  I am by no means a expert gardener but these particular trees like alot of water.  On my other trees i just water on a regular schedule and keep a eye on them.  All in all i like the drip on certain trees.  just my .02.

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »
Here in dry areas (mountains) it is used extensively for things like mango and lychee.  They use gravity and valves basically.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
I had many acres under drip irrigation in San Diego, where the soil was very sandy. Still very beneficial, you just need to use more emitters as the soil is not absorbent. Also you can use micro sprinklers for better soil coverage. Low pressure systems don't mean you necessarily have to use drip emitters.

Good advice.  I run miles of drip and paired my emitters with my soil profile which is heavy clay loam - 1/2 gph and 1 gph, mainly Woodpecker brand.  He could probably get by with 5 gph.  Many other factors are at play like well volume, psi, etc.   Pro advice is needed to design the system correctly unless it's for home use.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »

Good advice.  I run miles of drip and paired my emitters with my soil profile which is heavy clay loam - 1/2 gph and 1 gph, mainly Woodpecker brand.  He could probably get by with 5 gph.  Many other factors are at play like well volume, psi, etc.   Pro advice is needed to design the system correctly unless it's for home use.

What are you growing in Texas? You have a large operation there

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »

Christmas trees and wine grapes.  I have my tropicals in a greenhouse as we can get down to single digits in winter.

rcardaman

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

Thanks,
Brad

Is there a disadvantage to a drip system in very sandy soil?   I was thinking of installing a drip system too.

Richard

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

Christmas trees and wine grapes.  I have my tropicals in a greenhouse as we can get down to single digits in winter.

Very nice. Best of luck with your grapes and wine season! I have some muscadines. Nice but not as good as real grapes like yours

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Thanks,
Brad

Is there a disadvantage to a drip system in very sandy soil?   I was thinking of installing a drip system too.

Richard

These kinds of low pressure systems can be adapted to any type of soil. For sandy soils i would use more emitters and lower gph emitters and spread them more. Either that or use micro sprinklers and misters. It all depends on what types of plants you are talking about, size of operation, climate, etc. Best to get some expert advice if possible for installation.
PS i think these systems were pioneered in Israel where soils tend to be very sandy!
Oscar

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
We run miles of plastic hose with micro jet sprinklers on our fruit trees, the only problem ever is unclogging them once in a while.
And they are cheap to install and maintain.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Glad to hear that they are indeed being used in sandy soil.  I live in a deed restricted community where watering is only allowed once per week.  I want the drip irrigation as a backup in case any of my trees need to be watered more than that during a dry spell.  Thanks Oscar for the tips on low flow and multiple emitters.

Farmboy - what is the spacing on your emitters - 12" apart, 18" etc? 

Thanks

Brad

Brad

rcardaman

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »

Thanks,
Brad

Richard

These kinds of low pressure systems can be adapted to any type of soil. For sandy soils i would use more emitters and lower gph emitters and spread them more. Either that or use micro sprinklers and misters. It all depends on what types of plants you are talking about, size of operation, climate, etc. Best to get some expert advice if possible for installation.
PS i think these systems were pioneered in Israel where soils tend to be very sandy!

Thanks Oscar.  Good information as usual.

Richard

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Glad to hear that they are indeed being used in sandy soil.  I live in a deed restricted community where watering is only allowed once per week.  I want the drip irrigation as a backup in case any of my trees need to be watered more than that during a dry spell.  Thanks Oscar for the tips on low flow and multiple emitters.

Thanks

Brad

Is the idea that no one will know you are doing any watering?  BTW that is one crazy deed restriction.

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »

Thanks

Brad

Brad, we run them in the guava groves, so each tree gets 2

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
Thanks Farmboy. 

Yes, watering for landscaping, etc is only allowed one day per week.

Brad
Brad

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
I don't think you need to worry about irrigation You're not exactly in a dry climate. I supplement water with the hose just a few times during the Winter here, and only for jaboticaba, abiu and miracle fruit. Everything else does just fine, and we are mostly talking about very young trees.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »

Thanks

Brad
Do you pay for your own irrigation water is it lake supplied/association paid for?  What are your County/municipality rules as to number of days per week that irrigation can be run?  I would bet it is more than one day per week. 

Does your community look water starved/dry/"burnt"?  If it does, and the County/municipality allows for more than one day per week, I would bring it to their attention at a board meeting how its allowed by law/code, and that running the extra day or two (past one) would beautify the community, therefore increasing curb appeal and property values.

As a president of my community, I would NEVER require the limiting of the amount of water.  Cutting back during rainy season or wet periods is one thing but otherwise, running the maximum days allowed by law will only benefit your surroundings.
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
Thanks Rob.  Upon further investigation, I have learned that our HOA does not place any additional restrictions beyond those of the county. 

The county is experiencing a drought, and therefore only allows us to irrigate on Tuesdays and not between 10am and 4pm. 

Brad
Brad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk