Author Topic: Has anyone had African Walnut Tetracarpidium conophorum or Plukenetia conophora  (Read 1985 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Have some plants growing. They look similar to Inca peanut Plukenetia volubulis. Just wondering if they taste and grow similar? They are vining already.
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
This plant has been an object of my scrutiny for atvleast a year now. I cannot say how it compares to P. volubilis-- the seeds seem to be used for their oil rather than a nut, though I believe it has potential as a commercial crop. There is a description here:
http://plants.jstor.org/upwta/2_250

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
This plant has been an object of my scrutiny for atvleast a year now. I cannot say how it compares to P. volubilis-- the seeds seem to be used for their oil rather than a nut, though I believe it has potential as a commercial crop. There is a description here:
http://plants.jstor.org/upwta/2_250
It is widely eaten as a nut in Africa. Says so right in your link:
"The seed kernel is edible. Eaten raw they have a bitter flavour not unlike the kola nut and are considered to be tonic (3, 4, 9, 12, 13) and aphrodisiac (14). More usually the kernels are roasted and eaten in the general diet, or added to cakes."
BTW Inca peanut also needs to be roasted before eating.
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
Sorry, I should have clarified. The plants are more often grown for their seed oil, but I believe the seed itself has potential as commercial crop.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Sorry, I should have clarified. The plants are more often grown for their seed oil, but I believe the seed itself has potential as commercial crop.

It's true that the oil is edible and useful also for many other purposes. Still the plant is most often grown for just eating the nut. All the sites that refer to it say it is a very popular snack food in Nigeria. It's also used a lot medicinally.
Oscar

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Not sure what I am going to grow this on but it seems happy. The more fatty nut crops the better.

-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk