Author Topic: Duguetia Uniflora  (Read 5743 times)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Duguetia Uniflora
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Anyone here growing Duguetia Uniflora?
Carlos

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Duguetia Uniflora
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »
Had some seed from rarepalm ,but never sprouted
I think some Duguetia seed is more short lived.
Some class it as annona Uniflora
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:38:01 AM by shot »

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »
Hi Shot, yes they are very rare, I was able to sprout one seed from a 18 seeds, then I grafted a piece of it into a Annona Reticulata and it took ,then the original Tree died and all I got left is the grafted tree, holding Flowers now.
I'm curious if anyone here at TFF is growing one, I could use some advice.
Thank u
Carlos

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Hi Shot, yes they are very rare, I was able to sprout one seed from a 18 seeds, then I grafted a piece of it into a Annona Reticulata and it took ,then the original Tree died and all I got left is the grafted tree, holding Flowers now.
I'm curious if anyone here at TFF is growing one, I could use some advice.
Thank u
Carlos

Amazing! How big is the tree? Finding the right rootstock is the key to a lot of this stuff. Any updates along the way would be appreciated.
-Josh

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
I,m posting pictures in a few minutes.
Carlos

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Josh here are the Duguetia Uniflora pictures, the seeds came from Ecuador if I remember correctly.
They have the most beautiful  leaves I have ever seen, some times they get 10'' inches long.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:44:13 PM by carcarlo »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
Gorgeous! I hope you graft some more up sooner than later. I would definitely be interested in scions next year if it puts on some decent growth. I have an Annona spraguei that should be flowering soon that I need to find a good rootstock for. It failed on Pond Apple and Mountain Soursop but I am going to try those again as well as some others. That Duguetia looks like it may work with Rollinia. How long ago did you graft it? It looks like the union is starting to elephant foot.
-Josh

Saltman

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
Hi Carlos, I am sorry, but in my opinion the images are not showing Duguetia uniflora, not even a Duguetia species.  I was able to find confirmed specimen of Duguetia uniflora in the past and the flower buds are completely different to the ones from your plant....The flower looks like a "rollinia" type flower to me, which could explain its graft compatibilty with your Annona reticulata.
So I would consider it being a Annona (ex Rollinia) species, but that are just my 2 cents, I am not an expert...

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
Looks like rollinia to me too.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »
Hi Saltman don't be Sorry it is what it is/or it will be what it is!!! That's  the reason why I decided to post the Pic. I had  Rollinia Deliciosa from Berto, and leaves on this tree looked different extremely darker Green and longer than the Rollinias.  If you have any Pics. please post them. I also tried to graft it to Rollinia and the graft dint take, it took to the A. Reticulata but it is Elephant Footing. I'm starting to think it could be some type of an Amazon forest Rollinia.
Heres the only Pic. I found of Duguetia

Carlos

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
Hi Saltman don't be Sorry it is what it is/or it will be what it is!!! That's  the reason why I decided to post the Pic. I had  Rollinia Deliciosa from Berto, and leaves on this tree looked different extremely darker Green and longer than the Rollinias.  If you have any Pics. please post them. I also tried to graft it to Rollinia and the graft dint take, it took to the A. Reticulata but it is Elephant Footing. I'm starting to think it could be some type of an Amazon forest Rollinia.
Heres the only Pic. I found of Duguetia

Carlos

Hi Carlos,
Rollinia is extremely variable. I have a multigrafted one and one type has leaves about 3 times larger on the same tree. Some have small flowers and some are very large. I have noticed highly variable flower sizes and shapes on atemoya as well.
-Josh

Saltman

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:15:22 PM »
Hi Carlos, regarding to Duguetia uniflora, here is a link to an image of it. Although it shows a black/white drawn image, you can see its major features, like the flower and fruit. It has very short petioles and a more roundish leaf base compared to your species. 

Drawn image: http://www.mobot.org/mobot/Research/ven-guayana/annonaceae/365.gif

Specimen with flower: http://mediaphoto.mnhn.fr/media/1443716452186h6uX59V3gYc1rk1N

I also agree with Vernmented, that Rollinia deliciosa/Annona mucosa is a very variable species. Specially if you received a wild type, it will be hard to find a simlar type among the great number of varieties. You can find all kinds of form and colour variations regarding to the fruit. Although it not being Duguetia uniflora, I would enjoy, if you could keep us updated on it. Once it fruits we will see, if it is a Biriba variety or a rare Annona (ex rollinia) species from Ecuador.

Besides that, I hope you will still enjoy growing it and harvest some wonderful tasting fruits !

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Thank's Saltman, if it turn out a Biriba that would be great, if is something else it would be good too, I'm going to graft a peace of it to A. Reticulata again, just in case It dies.
Regards
Carlos

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 04:10:20 AM »
Hi Carlos, I am sorry, but in my opinion the images are not showing Duguetia uniflora, not even a Duguetia species.  I was able to find confirmed specimen of Duguetia uniflora in the past and the flower buds are completely different to the ones from your plant....The flower looks like a "rollinia" type flower to me, which could explain its graft compatibilty with your Annona reticulata.
So I would consider it being a Annona (ex Rollinia) species, but that are just my 2 cents, I am not an expert...
I agree, that is a rollinia, not a duguetia.
Oscar

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
Thanks Oscar, It loos like Rollinia to me too! and I will be very happy with it, since I have never seen or eaten a Duguetia before.
I hope I can find out this year.

Carlos