Author Topic: So iguanas apparently enjoy eating papaya trees/leaves  (Read 3791 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
So iguanas apparently enjoy eating papaya trees/leaves
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Getting one of these seedlings to grow is going to be difficult so long as my wife continues to prohibit me from murdering... uhh... I mean "humanely relocating to the bottom of the lake" the iguanas.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: So iguanas apparently enjoy eating papaya trees/leaves
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
I've humanely killed a number of them in my back yard with my gamo pellet gun. I aim for the head, right behind the eyes, so they die quickly. Then I bury them around the fruit trees so their rotting corpse fertilizes the ground around my trees.
Alexi

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Getting one of these seedlings to grow is going to be difficult so long as my wife continues to prohibit me from murdering... uhh... I mean "humanely relocating to the bottom of the lake" the iguanas.

Looks like the iguana is walking way from the papaya and saying.....my job is done here! ;)  Another pest that you all have to deal with on top of the other critters.Ugh!
Bob

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
What eats your food becomes your food.

From the '80s song "I'm on a Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo.

"eating barb-b-que iquana"

No reason to relocate them to the bottom of your lake.  Relocate them to your grill.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
The tail supposedly has the most choice meat.  Why not do some hunting when you're not gathering fruit?

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
Well, I guess I shouldn't whine so much about the ground squirrels and rats eating my papayas.  At least I don't have large lizards to deal with.  :)

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »
I would take iguanas over rats,squirrels or deer any day. Reptiles eat way less fruit than any mammal or bird. It’s our lack of urban predators to even out the plant, grain and fruit eaters. Bring nativesnakes, owls and alligators back! Lol

I am biased I love reptiles and all sorts of animals.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:42:53 AM »
I'm with Alejandro. Though BBQ'd Iguana does sound tempting. F rats and squirrels. Chris
-Chris

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:37:16 AM »
We have plenty of rats and squirrels in addition to the iguanas. The lake is a natural habitat/shelter for the rats, so it's a constant battle during mango season with all the critters competing with each other.

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
I have many issues with the green iguana.

I find the green iguanas are the worst of any critter even with my agouti problems (agouti is a rodent which is locally called a rabbit as it has similar tendencies) the aqouti  love to half eat the fruit and dig out all of my cassava roots and eat them; what makes the iguanas worse than the agouti is that not only do they eat my fruit but most times they eat most of the blossoms/flowers so the fruit does not even have a chance to set. They also love to eat the leaves on my soursop and sweetsop trees. In the case of the papaya tree, I find that they usually eat the bud out of the tree and that usually kills the tree. With my pumpkin and watermelon, the iguanas eat the blossoms and then just bite of the baby pumpkins/watermelon and leave them on the ground to agitate me!

I don't like killing animals but iguanas are the exception; they do not have any local predators and multiply at a very fast rate : as much as 70 young per hatching period so I have no choice but to kill them whenever I am able to catch them: they move very fast and can be aggressive. I have had a female try to attack our Yorkshire Terrier.
Jo