Author Topic: Cut Atemoya's flowers will help tree growth?  (Read 1518 times)

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Cut Atemoya's flowers will help tree growth?
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:34:01 AM »
Today I cut down a bunch of my atemoya's flowers as I heard some people said it will help the tree's growth. Is it true? Or it won't matter? It's a 4 foot atemoya's tree with a 1" trunk, but it has over 18 pea size fruits, so I removed most of its flowers and just leave it with 6 fruits. Am I doing anything wrong? I'm just afraid my tree will die..

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cut Atemoya's flowers will help tree growth?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
I have a Lisa, 2 years old, it is a very slender tree with a approximate 2 inch trunk. Long branches, many flowers and 4 fruits naturally pollinated. My first fruit.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
Personally I wouldn't really worry about the flowers, just make sure you don't hold too much fruit on a young tree. There's a big difference though between a 4' single whip atemoya and a 4' atemoya with a ton of branching, but either way I wouldn't let it hold more than a fruit or two if you're determined to let it hold some. If you pulled that many flowers off of your tree I'd guess that is has some decent branching to it and is likely a healthy tree. A pic of your tree would help.
Dom

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Another instance of people being impatient and rushing to get a average or worse quality fruit and in doing so, risking the health of the tree (or if nothing else, proper growth).
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
You didn't need to remove the flowers as the tree already expended energy on forming the flowers. All you need to do is to remove any resulting fruit from pollinated flowers.

Simon

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:07 AM »
This is my 4 feet tree. I'm really a big fan of the annonas so I have a total of 17 trees in my small garden.  ::)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:33:46 AM »
That's a great looking tree. I don't care what Rob says, I'd have let it hold a few fruits at that size.  ;D
Dom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk