Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620955 times)

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1525 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Hi, I just started reading this forum to better my knowledge of growing tropical fruit trees.  I  am a newbie, and most of my knowledge are from youtube.  I started my backyard garden last winter Nov/Dec 2018.  One of my mistake is that I planted in the winter, and another mistake was planting the trees before grade.  So when it rains, water pools up around the tree.  I went out and bought:

1. jackfruit - died from cold, and heavy rain - the leaves all died, and the root was rotted/red color.
2. 2 longan from seeds, i think may give up on them. I want fruit now now now.
3. atemoya - from seed, almost gave up on it.
4. lychee - died
5. chico sapote - thought it died from the rain. pulled it out of the dirt, and put it in a pot. it is still small, but show signs of growth, and flowering.
6. Barbados cherry - tree growing very large, and flowers, no fruit.
7. Pierce and El Bumpo Cherimoya
8. Papaya from seeds - died from the cold winter and rain.
9. Passion fruit
10.  alphonso mango
11. Thai Jujube / thornless - Planted in July 2019, it's fruiting now.
12. 3in1 apple tree from Home Depot
13. 2 grafted Atemoya trees. Planted in March 2019, both are fruiting now.  I am see fruit drops, which is sad. Each tree has about 10-15 fruits
14. Soursop from seeds in container
15. 2 Guava airlayers that I did myself from my mom's tree.
16. dragon fruits from cuttings.
17. Star fruit
18. jabo

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Hello,
My name is Larry. I live on the Arkansas / Louisiana border in zone 8A. I just got into citrus about 4 or 5 years ago. I have several citrumelo trees planted in my yard. I just added some Thomasville citrangerquats. I also have two Kimbrough Satsumas on the south side of my house that I give minimal protection during the winter. I have dozens of oak trees from around the world and also native chinquapin trees.  I just made my first successful citrus grafts this year. I also have access to a huge grove of trifoliate orange trees that have been growing at a old house place in Arkansas for at least 100 years. I used seedlings from those trees to do my first grafts.

Larry

tanayp

• United States, California, South San Jose, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 13, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
Hey,
I'm Tanay. From San Jose, CA in zone 9b

I currently have two small 1-2 year old mango (manila) and cherimoya (booth/white) trees. I also have a very large lemon tree (unknown cultivar) and am interested in growing Manilkara Zapote (aka Chikoo in India) and grafting Sitaphal (Indian sugar apple; annona squamosa) onto my Cherimoya tree.

Aside from this, I also have small jackfruit, longan, lychee, dragonfruit, and apricot seedlings that are growing, hopefully they will survive!

silbae0487

• South Korea Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 26, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
Hi everyone.
I'm park and South Korea ...Now I have 60 tropical fruit trees but still a newbie...    Hope:600 different fruit trees and my own huge greenhouse.

steven9650

• Povoação, São Miguel, Azores (Zone 11b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 03, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Steven and we just recently moved to Povoação in the south-east of São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores. I'm not entirely sure if we are Zone 11a or 11b here - perhaps someone has detailed knowledge of this regarding the islands? Most online resources tend to miss out the Azores altogether!

I am in my mid-40s but have only recently developed an interest in growing tropical fruit trees. Before São Miguel, we were in Central Portugal (Zone 9b) for 3 years where fruit trees in general tend to grow very well but unsurprisingly, the tropical varieties would struggle somewhat. In the end, it was forest fires that forced us to move elsewhere and the Azores seemed to be that happy medium between European winters and the true tropics.

We have some space on our plot for new trees but not so much that we can experiment - in other words, we are hopeful that we will find the most suitable varieties of tropical fruit trees for the unique climate that we have here in the Azores.

At the moment we have Azorean bananas and St Helen's Hybrid banana from seed (cold hardy variety that we tried to grow in Central Portugal). We have several grafted avocado trees (Hass/Reed/Bacon) and have also started a number of dwarf Papaya trees (Waimanolo) from seed that are doing well. Got some mangoes started from seed also. In addition, there are 3 annona trees that came with the property.

To be honest, as a newbie, I'm feeling really quite overwhelmed with the seemingly endless possibilities of what to grow here in this climate. I have also been surprised at seeing fruiting apple and pear trees around when it rarely goes below 10c (50f) here in the winter.

I am really looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences and, more specifically, fellow Azoreans of which I am hoping there are at least a few on this site :)

Thanks for reading!

Steven

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: October 03, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Steven and we just recently moved to Povoação in the south-east of São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores. I'm not entirely sure if we are Zone 11a or 11b here - perhaps someone has detailed knowledge of this regarding the islands? Most online resources tend to miss out the Azores altogether!

I am in my mid-40s but have only recently developed an interest in growing tropical fruit trees. Before São Miguel, we were in Central Portugal (Zone 9b) for 3 years where fruit trees in general tend to grow very well but unsurprisingly, the tropical varieties would struggle somewhat. In the end, it was forest fires that forced us to move elsewhere and the Azores seemed to be that happy medium between European winters and the true tropics.

We have some space on our plot for new trees but not so much that we can experiment - in other words, we are hopeful that we will find the most suitable varieties of tropical fruit trees for the unique climate that we have here in the Azores.

At the moment we have Azorean bananas and St Helen's Hybrid banana from seed (cold hardy variety that we tried to grow in Central Portugal). We have several grafted avocado trees (Hass/Reed/Bacon) and have also started a number of dwarf Papaya trees (Waimanolo) from seed that are doing well. Got some mangoes started from seed also. In addition, there are 3 annona trees that came with the property.

To be honest, as a newbie, I'm feeling really quite overwhelmed with the seemingly endless possibilities of what to grow here in this climate. I have also been surprised at seeing fruiting apple and pear trees around when it rarely goes below 10c (50f) here in the winter.

I am really looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences and, more specifically, fellow Azoreans of which I am hoping there are at least a few on this site :)

Thanks for reading!

Steven
Congratulations and good luck to your project!   ;D

strflyr78

• Orlando Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 06, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
Hello!  Living in central Florida and have planted 2 mangos trees in my backyard!  They are young and I'm new to planting them so any help on mangos would be great.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 06, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

Hello All,
I live in 9b Southern California and I have a gardening addiction...
I use zero poison, I don't consider most of what we do gardening to be natural... I mostly let things be and let the chips fall where they may. That said, I have bees, bugs, wildlife, and flourishing gardens. I eat what I grow, and share what I grow, why would I poison us... I grow normal stuff as well as Super Tropical fruits... my biggest success is probably Miracle fruit. My biggest failure is Avocado... I have murdered several!

ksloss

• USA, Hawaii, Hilo, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 11, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Aloha from the Big Island! My name is Karl and growing food has been a hobby of mine for a number of years. I have enjoyed traveling and trying the foods of other cultures. Blessed to be in a place now where I can grow so many things. Hoping to learn from you all on the forum and hopefully make some connections with like minded folks on the islands. Mahalo nui loa

Karl

lilyredcloud

• Houston, TX Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 14, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Hi, I found this group just now while searching for information on growing ice cream bean plants. I am also growing cherimoya. Living near Houston I thought I might as well try it even though the rest of my gardening never works out too well.

PlantHoarder

• USA, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 15, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Hello I am a former military person with a diverse background. I live in an area with a very wide variance in climates, fossil records show it used to be tropical with palm trees but it's now mostly an off the beaten path ski-season area and hiking trails the rest of the year.

I bought my first house in 2015 and have been slowly transforming a grassy but otherwise barren yard into a chaotic but hopefully lush mini-orchard with a wide variety of plant life. I'm no landscaper so it's all being done by brail pretty much.

The outdoor area: Apple trees, Peach Trees, Pear trees, 1 Nectarine, Grape vines, lots of non grafted roses, a breeding pair of hybridized pistachio trees, plum trees, cherry trees.

Indoors: All spice plants, a few banana plants, Jasmine, 1 orchid, some mint plants.

beachybryan18

• Haiti, Sud, Fond-Des-Blanc 13A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »
Hello my name is Bryan,

I'm from southern Iowa, moved to Haiti in 2014. I'm the administrative director on a small community agriculture development project by a small NGO from Ohio. My background is cattle farming and fruit farming "in temperate climates" I grow chestnuts, peaches, apples, plumbs, persimmons, pawpaws, and lots of berries.

We do a variety of things here in southern Haiti. Our main thing is a program that works along side schools to teach science, especially as it relates to trees and forests, as well as teaching tree nurseries and tree care. Students prepare trees in a nursery and then plant them out on their land. Our main focus with this program is late season avocados and nutrient dense fruits for food security. We also work in animal husbandry, conservation agriculture and have a seed bank for vegetable and tree seed, we're currently working to develop several food forests with natives as well as lots of exotics that will serve as living banks of seed and scions for the school program, and maybe a fruit arboretum in the future.

In the past year I've started to collect lots of exotics for the food forests, and while searching the internet looking for plant information, I often came across this forum. I hope to learn from everyone on here and am glad to contribute where I can as well. My biggest regret I have is that I didn't start planting trees as soon as I moved here in 2014. So for those of you pushing it off for next year, START NOW!

To list some of the trees where growing now, avocados, mangos, barbados cherry, guava, citrus, carambola, annonas, jackfruit, breadfruit, breadnut, sapodillas, cashew apple, pomegranate, star apple and tamarind. We also promote planting of moringa, katuk, chaya and haitian basket vine. Some of the exotics I recently started to collect, several Plinias, lots of garcinias, eugenias, rollinia, mamay sapote, black sapote, columbian sapote, canistel, loquat, durian, abui, santol, nance, mulberries, cempajack, morang, rambutan, pulasan, longan, carob, Syzygium sp.

Sincerely,

Bryan.

karir

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 25, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
 Hello from Finland
My wife and i have began to convert our rice farm in Northeast Thailand to a fruit farm to years ago.We plan to move to Thailand permanently in 2-3 years.We have planted 120 draft coconut palms and varios other type of local fruit trees:Jujube mango,guava,rambutan,pitaya,jackfruit,soursop,tamarind,mangosteen,starfruit,longan and durian.
I am very happy on the progress up to now. Now we are starting to collect fruit trees that I can not find in Thailand.
Best regards
Kari&Nid

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
Hello yall im matthew from new New Orleans Louisiana. I grow 3 varieties of avocados and one unknown variety of a white flesh dragon fruit that seems to thrive in our climate. Look forward to getting tips about growing my dragon feuit plant. Thanks for checking out my post.

FijiFruits

• Los Angeles, CA & Fiji
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 30, 2019, 05:22:36 AM »
Hey everyone here at TFF!

I come from a product development, marketing, and advertising background. However I have always been fascinated with nature and growing my own food.

After successfully scaling a marketing software company, I am looking to start ventures relating to fruit production.
Wholesaling or even a vertically integrated line of products is the end goal.

My family has a 560 acre plantation in Fiji that I am looking to develop. I'm Hoping I can make some good connections here to learn about the trade and potentially form a joint venture.

I am considering growing mangoes, passion fruit, mangosteen, goji berries.. stuff like that. Some ideas I've had were to start a beverage company that incorporates these fresh fruits, grow kava to start a kava bar, and export everything I grow to Australia/New Zealand /Asia.

Looking forward to reading more information here!

-Simon

FijiFruits

• Los Angeles, CA & Fiji
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 30, 2019, 05:33:04 AM »
Hello,
We have a small orchard in San Diego, Ca, and are planning to plant and grow fruit trees on Koro Island, Fiji. Any assistance re where to purchase, what to be careful of, issues with transporting via ferry from Natovi (outside Suva) to Koro, pests to be aware of & BMPs to maximize yield (for personal use & donating to locals) would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Steven & Michelle

Hello from LA!
I am not experienced with it myself, but just make sure it's in an airtight and very clean container. Pests I'm sure would vary by variety but using the natural ingredients found here would help:

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/insects-bugging-your-plants-try-these-10-natural-insecticides.htm

#6 sounds like a good one..

What do you plan on growing out there?? Our family has a 560 acre plantation in Vanua Levu and I'm starting my research here to develop a plan to grow some fruits on a medium scale operation...

-Simon

Scott60

• USA, Florida, Broward County, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 30, 2019, 06:31:17 AM »
Hello all. Glad to have found this forum...wish I'd found it sooner!
For the last 25 years or so, I've been growing tropical fruit in my small backyard. Here's what I've got currently: 3 Mangoes (Nam Doc Mai, Pim Saen Mun, ValCarrie), Lychee (Sweetheart), 2 Avocados (Russell, Pollack), Jaboticaba, Yellow Jaboticaba, Miracle Fruit, Atemoya, Jackfruit, Carambola (Fwang Tung), Tamarind, Sapodilla aka Naseberry (Makok), Dragon Fruit, Fig. In the past I've grown June Plum, Barbados Cherry, Soursop, Sugar Apple, Key Lime, Kumquat. I found the forum researching whether I could successfully grow Rambutan here and you all have saved me some time. So much grows well here that I've learned not to mess with stuff that maybe, kind of, sort of does.

My trees require annual pruning so they keep their size manageable, and only recently have I let anyone else touch them. I had well recommended certified arborist do it this time with me standing right there. He was pretty aggressive but I took the chance, and if nothing dies off, I'll be glad to have done it. They are already flush with new growth, but I've noticed one branch in the jackfruit seems to have died off, which will be no big deal if that's all it is... but we'll see.

Come harvest, I will be interested in opportunities to trade fruit or to work with others locally to donate to a local food bank.

Janpol

• Poland, Krakow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 10, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
Hi everyone!
I' m sixteen. I' m from Poland. I' m glad that I found this forum. I love growing rare, exotic plant. In my collection I have among others Matisia soegengii, Myrciaria sp Escarlate, Browneopsis ucayalina, Garcinia humilis, Castilla elastica, Synsepalum dulcificum, Syzygium samarangense, Eugenia uniflora, Herrania purpurea, nearly eight-years old lychee, two Avocados, Mango, two Tamarind, Carambola, Gac fruit, Graviola, Cherymoia, Citrus (lemon, mandarine, kumquat), Sugarcane, Orchids (Paphiopedilum, phalaenopsis), Tea plant, Guava, Tamarillo, Pineapple, Vanilla, Rambutan. I have grown exotic plant since 2011, when I was eight years old. I live in a block of flats, but I have two allotment gardens, so I don't have a lot of space for cultivation my plants. For this reason, I prefer slow growing / dwarf, exotic, rare plants. I will have to give some plants back soon. Moreover I search cacao plant and cinnamon plant, because it's really pretty and useful. Soon, my plants will require cutting (to fit on the windowsill), but I don't know how to do it. Maybe we will come up with something together. I am currently illuminating my  plant. I'm environmentally friendly, so I don't use any pesticides and chemical fertilizers. I think it's poison. I use only manure and natural remedies. I would like to move home with a greenhouse. I hope we will get to know and fancy each other.
Best regards
John

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 10, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
Hi everyone!
I' m sixteen. I' m from Poland. I' m glad that I found this forum. I love growing rare, exotic plant. In my collection I have among others Matisia soegengii, Myrciaria sp Escarlate, Browneopsis ucayalina, Garcinia humilis, Castilla elastica, Synsepalum dulcificum, Syzygium samarangense, Eugenia uniflora, Herrania purpurea, nearly eight-years old lychee, two Avocados, Mango, two Tamarind, Carambola, Gac fruit, Graviola, Cherymoia, Citrus (lemon, mandarine, kumquat), Sugarcane, Orchids (Paphiopedilum, phalaenopsis), Tea plant, Guava, Tamarillo, Pineapple, Vanilla, Rambutan. I have grown exotic plant since 2011, when I was eight years old. I live in a block of flats, but I have two allotment gardens, so I don't have a lot of space for cultivation my plants. For this reason, I prefer slow growing / dwarf, exotic, rare plants. I will have to give some plants back soon. Moreover I search cacao plant and cinnamon plant, because it's really pretty and useful. Soon, my plants will require cutting (to fit on the windowsill), but I don't know how to do it. Maybe we will come up with something together. I am currently illuminating my  plant. I'm environmentally friendly, so I don't use any pesticides and chemical fertilizers. I think it's poison. I use only manure and natural remedies. I would like to move home with a greenhouse. I hope we will get to know and fancy each other.
Best regards
John
WOW! Congratulations, you have a great collection!   ;D

Janpol

• Poland, Krakow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 11, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
Hi everyone!
Best regards
John
WOW! Congratulations, you have a great collection!   ;D

Thank you for recognition! I love my plant so I do my best when I grow them. I will write more about my cultivation in the appropriate threads any day now.

Keysbob

• USA, Florida, Marathon, 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and hope to learn a great deal from those with vastly more experience. I live in Marathon in the Florida keys and recently started a small garden with my wife. Apparently this is to be my retirement project when I retire in 2 years. Everything is new in the ground since Hurricane Irma tore through here in Sept 2017. Here's what we have planted so far: fwang tung carambola, Borneo red jakfruit, Carrie mango, sweet tart mango, gold nugget mango, coconut cream mango, orange sherbet mango, Tebow (=Young) mango, Choquette avocado, catalina avocado, Bruce canistel, Ross sapote, Magana mamey sapote, Marin mamey sapote, abieu, imbe, red mulberry, grumichama, red jaboticaba, Tesoro mamee apple,  dwarf namwa banana, mysore banana, dwarf red banana, praying hands banana, Saba banana, ice cream banana, apple banana, dwarf Orinoco banana, Barbafos cherry, Key lime (of course), calamondin, blood orange, guanabana,. We also have some of the less eaten fruits like Monstera deliciosa, pindo pallm, cocoplum, Cereus spp. and Opuntia spp cacti. We also have, of course, coconuts. Only a few things have fruited so far but this year things should start rocking. We have the issues with high alkalinity soil but given that we are drier than mainland Florida, we are hopeful that anthracnose and other fungal diseases will be minimal. Most irrigation is from cisterns. Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot and maybe/hopefully making some new friends.
Bob

Joyfruit

• Hamburg, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: November 26, 2019, 04:37:21 AM »
Hello everybody!

I'm Alex, 28 yrs old, living in Hamburg, Germany. I almost exclusively grow hot peppers and some tomatoes, but of course the gardening fever is spreading.  :) I wanted to have some nice fruit trees indoor as ornamental plants, so I started growing mangos. But I ve come to understand that my hot pepper community cant cover all my gardening/plant problems, so Im looking out for a fitting community for my current and maybe future exotic/tropical plants.

Looking forward to it! Have a great day y'all!

Killerflyingbugs

• Big Pine Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: November 26, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
Hey my name is Stephen, from Big Pine Key, Fl
I was a member before but lost my whole garden during Irma and couldn't remember my login stuff so I figured I would star a new

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: November 29, 2019, 06:36:53 AM »
Hey my name is Stephen, from Big Pine Key, Fl
I was a member before but lost my whole garden during Irma and couldn't remember my login stuff so I figured I would star a new

This is me, i found my log in info.

2tall

• Khao Lak A. Takuapa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: December 07, 2019, 12:40:45 AM »
Hi, Everyone!

Tropical grower from Thailand. Been living here the last 11 years and started collection and growing fruit trees 2 years ago in my 4000m2 garden.
Up to about 70 different kind of fruit trees now and around 250 fruit trees in total plus some hard wood trees some ex:
Dalbergia cochinchinensis, shorea roxburghii, Anisoptera Costata, Neolamarckia Cadamba, Dipterocarpus Alatus etc

I also grow hot peppers, 20 different varieties.

Learning as times goes by and hope to catch up on some great info here at TFF.