Author Topic: dragon fruit leaf curl  (Read 2320 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
dragon fruit leaf curl
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
Hi,

One of my dragon fruits leaves are curling.. We had high temps of over 100s last month (October).. maybe this is why? My other ones are doing well and don't show any signs of curling.. Also, this one is under full sun (while the others have partial shade half the day).. maybe that's why too? Can anyone tell me? Thanks.

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: dragon fruit leaf curl
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
Do not worry, michsu. They will be fine.  They are very easy to grow.  Do not over water.
Your area and my area are very much the same weather. My dragon fruits( red, white, and yellow) are full sun.  Some dragon fruit branches on the top are burned when we had 106 degree last October.
I cut them off. They will grow more every year.
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
I had dragon fruits in the Philippines, and they are full sun, humid weather, temperature reaches 104f and they are doing good.
What I noticed is that they dont like it over watered if they are potted.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »
I had dragon fruits in the Philippines, and they are full sun, humid weather, temperature reaches 104f and they are doing good.
What I noticed is that they dont like it over watered if they are potted.

What are the symptoms of over-watering? I have mine in a pot, with a dripper on a timer. I'm probably over-watering.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
I had the same thing happen to my Hailes Comet Dragon fruit last month with 102 degree temperatures. It was burnt and the effected tissue destroyed. Had to really cut it back. Most of my other dragon fruit were not that effected. I suspect the soil had dried out and it had no moisture to feed the upper foliage. (See Photos)

After 100 Degree heat

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:29:56 PM »
What symptoms I had was the bottom part of the cactus rots & eventually will kill the plant.

The sun here in CA is way much harse compare to the Philipines. The dry heat is whats causing your cactus to dry out. When summer comes out again try to put shade cloth or put it in part shade.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
thanks guys for your input. Just one of my dragon fruit is curling leaves.. I think the hot weather did it (light intensity).. yeah, who would have known we would have 105s in October?  :-\

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
I think part of it is the dryness of California; I don't have seem to have such problems here in hot, humid, south Florida.  But we also don't get up to 106 very often.  Probably harvested 30+ dragon fruit this year, with another 10 on the plant.  Wish it tasted more like a mango.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »
I think part of it is the dryness of California; I don't have seem to have such problems here in hot, humid, south Florida.  But we also don't get up to 106 very often.  Probably harvested 30+ dragon fruit this year, with another 10 on the plant.  Wish it tasted more like a mango.

You are correct. We get dry heat here. Florida is more of a tropical weather if im not mistaken.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »

You are correct. We get dry heat here. Florida is more of a tropical weather if im not mistaken.

Dragonfruit does quite well in many parts of California, possibly even better than Florida depending on the conditions.  Too much mousture, as we can get here quite often, can also be detrimental.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk