Author Topic: Anyone try neem oil on mango trees?  (Read 1220 times)

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
Anyone try neem oil on mango trees?
« on: September 07, 2021, 03:30:32 PM »
I know it needs to be sprayed at a time when it won't burn the leaves, but other than that in my limited research it looks like it may take care of a whole host of things, including powdery mildew, anthracnose, and MBBS. Anyone here able to confirm or have experience using it?

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone try neem oil on mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
Skip Neem only use horticultural mineral oil 98% Neem burns and kills. You can load up high concentration of the 98% with no consequences. It suffocates the same. 

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »
Skip Neem only use horticultural mineral oil 98% Neem burns and kills. You can load up high concentration of the 98% with no consequences. It suffocates the same.

Thanks, I looked at that but nowhere does any documentation indicate it works on the big three diseases, seems marketed more as an insecticide, which I do not need at this time. And the burn potential of neem oil is easy enough to get around by just spraying in the evening or late afternoon once the sun is off the tree. At least for my schedule anyway.

If I don't hear from anyone else I may just designate myself the resident neem oil guinea pig and try it for this upcoming spraying season, and then post my findings here.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
I'll say if you use it, don't mix copper with it.  I did that once & burned many leaves.  Follow label.
However, i've used it on 2 planted 15gal citrus trees & it certainly helped leaves from getting chewed on for a while.
Dyna-gro brand.

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »
I'll say if you use it, don't mix copper with it.  I did that once & burned many leaves.  Follow label.
However, i've used it on 2 planted 15gal citrus trees & it certainly helped leaves from getting chewed on for a while.
Dyna-gro brand.

Thanks for the tip. I do not intend to use with copper since, if I am reading the label right, the neem oil shold handle all the diseases I am expecting to run into.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »
Sprayed neem oil is probably not going to handle MBBS, anthracnose, and powdery mildew. Would be a nice option if did work.

Pretty sure copper is part of a good spray regimen, when done responsibly.

Neem oil can burn on its own with heat and sunlight, doesn't need copper to do so.

Going by memory from reading. I only spray mangoes for foliar feeding, and thankfully haven't had to spray for those issues.