Author Topic: Tamarillo acts as giant fungus gnat sticky trap  (Read 1513 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Tamarillo acts as giant fungus gnat sticky trap
« on: June 17, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
I thought this was interesting -
I have two types of tamarillo in my greenhouse, and both emit an odor that smells like creosote, or asphalt.  Not pleasant for most folks, but I kind of like it, in a weird way.
Both my solanum betaceum and my solanum sibundoyense are absolute fungus gnat magnets.  Since the leaves and stems are covered with tiny hairs, the gnats don't seem to be able to escape, so in essence, they are acting like giant sundews, or some other "sticky" carnivorous plant.  They are helping me out, but I wonder if they are getting anything out of the deal - do you suppose they can get nutrition out of the gnats?? I wish they would attract whiteflies also!

Carolyn

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Tamarillo acts as giant fungus gnat sticky trap
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
Weird, I should check to see if mine ever caught any!  I've actually heard (although haven't checked into it) that tomatoes are technically carnivorous, in that they do just that - catch certain kinds of insects in their hairs, and then digest them.

(file me under the "most folks" category, I don't like the smell of tamarillo leaves!)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
I've noticed this with my Tamarillos too, but that's nothing compared to the fly trapping powers of their Solanaceous cousins Tobacco. I have a bunch of ornamental Nicotianas around the yard. They are sticky as hell and covered in bugs. Best thing is they volunteer readily all over the place. I sometimes wonder if they are too effective and I might be killing a lot of good guy insects.

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
Boy, just when I thought I already knew it all, plants surprise me yet again!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
Jaltomata cajacayensis and many of the Jaltomata sp. do this too very well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »
first i've heard of Jaltomata. taste good?
Shane

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
first i've heard of Jaltomata. taste good?

I have not tried the fruit yet, I am growing it this year. I have expectations the fruit quality should be close to cape gooseberry.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
Ok, off topic, just a little, but I LOVE my Cape Gooseberry!  Where did you get the Jaltomata cajacayensis seeds?  Seems I am collecting more and more solanums...

Right now I am growing a "mystery" solanum from Cameroon.  Once it flowers, I am hoping to identify it and not have to wait until it fruits.  In Cameroon, they eat the greens, not the berries.  It is similar to garden huckleberry, but I think it may be something different. Oooh.... aaaah....

Carolyn