Author Topic: Geodesic dome greenhouse build  (Read 13287 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Geodesic dome greenhouse build
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »
Here i present my dome greenhouse build that its made of wood and i used Buckminster Fuller ( the original inventor)method and plans.Also i got somme inspiration from ZipTieDomes on youtube wich its the best expert of domes i have discussed with.The dome its 4 meters high and 8 meters diameter,has almost 50 square meters of space at ground level and its mounted on concrete foundations.It will be covered in polycarbonate in exterior ( probably 4 mm thick) and will have another layer of plastic foil inside so that it will become a double wall wich will help a lot with temp isolation in winter( i live in zone 6).Will also have a heating system made with a rocket type burner with wood.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:38:21 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Geodesic dome greenhouse build
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
The dome its a 4V frequency and all the joints are cut to certain double axis angles by hand.The coating its made with 2 layers of linnen oil ,then 2 layers of white paint and next im planing to wax it somehow,to repel moisture better.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:37:31 PM by SeaWalnut »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
Neat!   

Are you going to heat it?  I have a zone6 greenhouse also though mine is a traditional gable design.  You have a lot of vertical space so you could have hanging potted plants to make use.   

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
I will heat it with a rocket stove that i will build.Will have heating and thermal insulated walls wich  are just 2 walls and the air trapped between them its the insulator( air its best thermal insulator).I will grow exotic trees in it ,directly in the ground and in pots.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »
Your post led me to reading for an hour or two about geodesic and other dome construction.   Most of the noted downsides seem like they wouldn't affect a greenhouse significantly (leaks, electric/plumbing/venting issues).  I hope it works out for you, post more pictures as it comes along.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
Im glad that it sparked your interest in geodesic domes and i will post more pictures along the way.The dome will even have 2 small beehives with bumblebees in it for pollination.If you have any questions about the costs or building techniques,feel free to ask.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
One thing I recall from my reading is that covering the dome with flat sheets doesn’t work well, but  a diamond/rhombus spanning two triangles and bent at the seam was effective.   My greenhouse has an insulated foundation which I believe helps a lot to retain soil heat.  The rocket stove design looks effective and it looks like you have plenty of wood to burn.  I am lucky enough to have piped natural gas which is very cheap, so I am running a gas heater.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
Buckminster Fullers reverse chimney effect for cooling.Sounds plausible and i will try somme experiments with it on my dome.http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/blog/chilling-domes-physics/

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
Not nearly as elaborate as your... but it works ok!
I built this simple dome greenhouse from a star plate kit a few years ago.
Insulated the northern side and put in gravity auto-closing doors:

Kevin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:53:03 AM by Kevin Jones »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Very nice folks!  Have been intriqued with those star plates forever.

Be nice to have a thread for us greenhouse growers.  I just took this shot of a 14' X 14' volunteer tomato plant in mine that's been producing since fall.  It sprawls on the floor.  For reference there is a 8' wide Reed avocado behind it.

If I can ever get off dead center and install a R/O system I'm probably going to go with this fog system.  Hang it and forget it.

https://www.jaybird-mfg.com/products/gt-500-series/gt-500-hanging-sump/

SeaWalnut, if you could open that thing up for pollinators you won't need those bumblebees.  It's my understanding that the life of those mail order hives is short too.  I looked at them.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
Polycarbonate is the only way to go.  Highly recommend it be greenhouse grade.  I went with Dyna-Glass Palram called "Solarsoft".

marzocca

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Seawalnut,
what did you use as joints? can you insert photos of the details? thank you and greetings, Francesco.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:05:12 PM by marzocca »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
Thanks Kevin, i didnt used hubs and its a 4V frequency but wasnt too easy to build and i had challenges that led me to invent a tool for measuring the compond angles at the joints.I will put foil on interior like you have that reflective one but il use transparent and for the whole dome.
Mark,those mail order bees can live quite a long time,you only have to feed them a little pollen pattyes and sugar water  .I will catch my own queens from the wild and start the colony and if they make new queens ,il keep those in the fridge and release them in nature in the spring.Greenhouse polycarbonate with double walls its what i will use,the type that has a side treated against UV.As for the RO system( reverse osmosis water filter) the last i have build for my saltwater aquarium ,i made it with cheap chinese membrane and its verry good ,after 3 Years it measures 15 TDS with old DI resin ( i have RO-DI) and ive been using it non stop.If you want to build your own to have nice resealable filter housings i can help with advices.At somme point i even toght to start making them and sale for profit.
Francesco,joints on my dome are interlocked and they just sit on on top of otther but they also have somme screws ,2 for each end of a strut that are on the lenght of it.But what keeps my dome together its the interlocking joints and 7 screws on the length of each strut.Il post pics with the joints in a few days .

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the info.   I put together a quote at Brad's hoop house thread just now.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 03:41:30 AM »
After somme interesting discussions on Spaugh forum ,looking for ways to chill a greenhouse i allready decided on my dome chiling.I will make a transparent pad door onto wich a small ,really cheap and efficient pump will pump water on it.The door will be like a waterfall with holes like a sieve through wich air will pass assuring evaporative cooling.I also like the idea of having a waterfall door.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
After somme interesting discussions on Spaugh forum ,looking for ways to chill a greenhouse i allready decided on my dome chiling.I will make a transparent pad door onto wich a small ,really cheap and efficient pump will pump water on it.The door will be like a waterfall with holes like a sieve through wich air will pass assuring evaporative cooling.I also like the idea of having a waterfall door.
That sounds cool, so each time you walk in or out you walk under the waterfall and get a shower?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 01:41:25 AM »
That sounds cool, so each time you walk in or out you walk under the waterfall and get a shower?
No,the waterfall will be in the door and will open just like a regular door.I immagine if shutted hard the water from the waterfall will get out.I think its a nice idea and i made plans allready for materials.The surface of the pads will be transparent and il have problems because plastic repels water unlike the cartboard thats normally used ,but i allready found a solution to that.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
The dome structure today.

This is the tool that i invented to to measure the compound angles.
On this triangular board i cut all the struts by hand( with a hand saw ;D).
This is the joint of a hexagon.On exterior they fit perfect but on the interior i had somme gaps wich i filled with injected fiberglass adhesive.All the joints and the triangles have to be arranged in one direction,clockwise or anticlockwise and the result is a pattern that looks like a swastica with 5 or 6 arms.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »
On the base of the dome ive added a metalic strip that encircles the dome.It wasnt necessary but i reminded ive read somewhere about a dome that got a chain around the base in rennaisance time .

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
Your own giant Buckyball - Awesome!

I actually considered a commercially-built geodesic dome greenhouse when I first started planning, but my back yard is long and skinny, so it would not have been a good use of the space.

Can hardly wait to see pictures when you are done!!!!

Carolyn

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Very cool & impressive! Thanks for posting pics!

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »
A lot of work!
I wonder what is your plan to get rid of condensation in winter. Also if I were you I would dig everything 50 cm down and make an insulated concrete foundation. At 80 cm soil will not freeze.
If you plant your plants in ground you will have a lot of problems with root rot.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
On this triangular board i cut all the struts by hand( with a hand saw ;D).
This is the joint of a hexagon.On exterior they fit perfect but on the interior i had somme gaps wich i filled with injected fiberglass adhesive.All the joints and the triangles have to be arranged in one direction,clockwise or anticlockwise and the result is a pattern that looks like a swastica with 5 or 6 arms.

Nice job!  Cut by hand? 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »
It will have double walls with air inbetween and will be heated so i dont think il have condensation problems.
All the compond angles are cut by hand with a hand saw not with an electric saw just by human muscles power.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »
You will have a lot of condensation with all the heating you will have. It will drop cold water on plants and fungus will develop. It seems like you never had a greenhouse before.
If you put double panels on both sides it will be expensive, and the air between the panels will have an inverse effect, because of the large gap in between. Not to mention the light loss.