Author Topic: Brazilian producers have been celebrating the famous Adalgiza avocado.  (Read 4144 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Brazilian producers have been celebrating - the famous Adalgiza avocado, a local favourite, has been officially recognized as an avocado variety. The main differences between this variety and the Hass are: the shape of the trees, (the Adalgiza grows inside the treetop where it is better protected than the Hass avocado), the shape of the fruits, (which are more rounded), and the taste and texture (the Adalgiza is more buttery and less fibrous). 

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/173493/Brazil-The-Adalgiza-Avocado-new-variety-is-officially-recognized

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Anyone know the genetics of this cross?

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
How long before you track down budwood to add to your Frankencado tree?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Anyone know the genetics of this cross?

interesting

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Very interesting indeed, we need a adventurous young person to go hunt this avocado down ;) 8)Thanks for sharing Mark!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
How long before you track down budwood to add to your Frankencado tree?

Carlos?   :D  If anybody has it he does.

Hass marketing ass kicker? Fellas, they said the same thing about Gwen which was not accepted by the public cause it didn't turn black.  if this isn't an Afrocado it won't sell well.

Speaking of my Frankencado, here's some of the fruit I've been pulling  (tree is only on 2nd leaf).  Every variety is loaded.  This is Sir Prize.  More I research this variety the more excited I am about it.  for example - http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Sir_Prize_Avocados_12030.php

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
I never heard of it. If it is related to Hass will not grow well here
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile
The Adalgiza variety was developed on my father's farm and we have the worldwide patent. The variety showed numerous characteristics superior to Hass, such as shape, content of pulp, precocity and so on.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
my gosh, that is a small seed!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
The Adalgiza variety was developed on my father's farm and we have the worldwide patent. The variety showed numerous characteristics superior to Hass, such as shape, content of pulp, precocity and so on.

Can you confirm the parentage of this variety Guatemalan crossed with ? or was it a sport of your Fathers tree's? 

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
This is Sir Prize.  More I research this variety the more excited I am about it.

Sir Prize is a good early season avocado, covering the gap in spring before Hass arrives. I was buying them at the local farmers market a while back and grew quite fond of them, but they are a second tier avo for me because fat content is not their strong point. What I liked as the unusual golden color of the flesh and the fact that it would not oxidize no matter how long I left it on the counter.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
This is Sir Prize.  More I research this variety the more excited I am about it.

Sir Prize is a good early season avocado, covering the gap in spring before Hass arrives. I was buying them at the local farmers market a while back and grew quite fond of them, but they are a second tier avo for me because fat content is not their strong point. What I liked as the unusual golden color of the flesh and the fact that it would not oxidize no matter how long I left it on the counter.

I may be mistaken but I have seen Sir Prize photos here where it is dwarfish and heavily laden. It might have been in a container. Is this the case? At least in California?

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile
my gosh, that is a small seed!

Yes  8)

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile

Can you confirm the parentage of this variety Guatemalan crossed with ? or was it a sport of your Fathers tree's?

This variety has no kinship with Guatemalan and is not sport of my father's tree, we cultivated the variety 20 years ago on our farm.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
This variety has no kinship with Guatemalan and is not sport of my father's tree, we cultivated the variety 20 years ago on our farm.

Well, doesn't look like it has W. Indies either.   If it's patented you must have some info on the parentage via DNA flags?

Stunning fruit BTW!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Those look like hass with a small Pickering seeds. I hope this doesnt turn out like another Ardith

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile

Probably got ones picked too early.  They get really dense and oily here around May.  If they were grown up north I would expect not to really be ready until July or later.

I let a few hang until June this year and they were amazing.  Skin should be black when they are still hard to know when to pick.
Brad Spaugh

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
What is the ideal growing condition for the Adalgiza avocado?  How about some more detailed information to help promote the patented material.
Peter

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile

Well, doesn't look like it has W. Indies either.   If it's patented you must have some info on the parentage via DNA flags?

Stunning fruit BTW!

Adalgiza has Hass as an upward, but has the spherical shape, less fibers, buttery flavor, smaller seed and more pulp. Thank you!

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile
What is the ideal growing condition for the Adalgiza avocado?  How about some more detailed information to help promote the patented material.
Peter

The Adalgiza was only grown on my father's farm, where the climate is "cerrado". The farm is at high altitude and the climate is dry and mild most of the year. This year we have already reaped the fruits. We will test the variety in other countries to evaluate the commercial potential. Thank you!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile

Stunning fruit BTW!

Adalgiza has Hass as an upward, but has the spherical shape, less fibers, buttery flavor, smaller seed and more pulp. Thank you!

Sounds like it would grow ok in CA.

Can you post some photos of the trees and the new flushes up close?
Brad Spaugh

prix.rezende

• São Paulo, Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian producers have been celebrating the famous Adalgiza avocado.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:00 PM »