Author Topic: Cold Hardry Grapefuit/Pommelos  (Read 22680 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardry Grapefuit/Pommelos
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »
Stan McKenzie reports that the  Bloomsweet is hardy down to 15F (-10C) . However Stan does not provide any of the previous conditions, nor how long this tree was at that temperature.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 06:22:28 AM »
My Bloomsweet is doing beautifully till now. On PTFD, north exposure, it is dealing beautifully with cold snaps we had till now (Temps ranging from 30 to 24F). It is the biggest
My main concern is, if it remains so vigorous probably the place where i though it could be planted will be too small. I hoped to have a plant no taller than 2,5/3mt (8-10ft max).
Pancrazio,
The mother plant of your graft is now almost 4 meters high, but columnar in shape.

Last week harvest:

Very good taste, completely ripe, sweet with some pleasant acidity, practically no bitterness, for me it is better than most of conventional grapefruits

Best regards,
                       Ilya

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 08:25:59 AM »
Ilya,
glad you saw this. Hopefully I will be able to get a good plant in few years. I'm particularly happy to see that you plant managed to remain outside so long. I guess our climate are pretty similar judging from the other plants i see in the pics. I would prefer a little more "dome shaped" plant but i guess i can prune it in the shape i prefer. The fruits indeed look very nice. Do you know how much they can hold on the plant? The decorative effect isn't secondary for this one.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
Pancrazio,
Last year I harvested some fruits at the beginning of February, they were holding nicely on the tree, but lost almost completely their acidity. Now, in the middle of December the balance of sweet/acid is optimal.
I am much puzzled why this variety is not of commercial success.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »
I've seen on the Internet both that  Bloomsweet is a cross between the pummelo and sour orange, and also between pummelo and sweet orange.   Looking at Lya11 picture it is quite easy to see the pummelo parentage, especially in the thickness of the peel.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 07:24:16 AM »
Ilya, congratulation.....your tree looks very healthy.
Anyway it's also a big tree, so i guess it withstanded  more  winters. What's the lowest temp it survived? did you protect it ?

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »
Delvy83,
Before it wasplanted  for 5 years in my garden near Paris; i survived one winter with minus 12C (10.4-F) and two winters with minimum of minus 9C (15.8-F). Each time lost some wood but gave vigorous growth in the following summer.
Now it is in   9b zone garden, where of course it has no problems with hardiness
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:16:01 PM by Millet »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
My Bloomsweet is doing beautifully till now. On PTFD, north exposure, it is dealing beautifully with cold snaps we had till now (Temps ranging from 30 to 24F). It is the biggest
My main concern is, if it remains so vigorous probably the place where i though it could be planted will be too small. I hoped to have a plant no taller than 2,5/3mt (8-10ft max).
Pancrazio,
The mother plant of your graft is now almost 4 meters high, but columnar in shape.

Last week harvest:

Very good taste, completely ripe, sweet with some pleasant acidity, practically no bitterness, for me it is better than most of conventional grapefruits

Are you sure that is a bloomsweet tree?  Every picture of fruit I have seen are  "teardrop" shaped with a neck almost similar to a minneola tangelo but your fruit appear to be almost uniformly spherical.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
I have to agree that the fruit does not appear to look like bloomsweet grapefruit in the photographs that I have seen:

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
At least I bought it from Bernhardt Voss under this name.
He propagated Bloomsweet seedling budwood grafted on poncirus and it seems that the first flowering happened in  my garden. Other than shape it fits the description of Kinkoji/Bloomsweet.

Best regards,
                       Ilya

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
At least I bought it from Bernhardt Voss under this name.
He propagated Bloomsweet seedling budwood grafted on poncirus and it seems that the first flowering happened in  my garden. Other than shape it fits the description of Kinkoji/Bloomsweet.

To me it looks more like a Cocktail grapefruit because of the shape , orange flesh and yellow to green coloring.  But then again cocktails are known for their seediness and your photo shows a seedless fruit.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
Yes, it is almost seedless, one seed out of 20 fruits.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
I had a seedling grapefruit less than 2 inches tall survive 20 degrees f this past winter.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
Dunstan citrumelo is said by some to resemble a slightly underripe grapefruit in taste, with only a slight off flavor (much less than other trifoliate hybrids). I'm not sure it's an outright replacement for grapefruit, but I certainly could imagine a second generation hybrid of it being a grapefruit substitute. I'm not sure if anyone's ever tried breeding Ichang papeda with grapefruit, or an orange-Ichang papeda hybrid together with grapefruit (or pomelo), but it may be worth a try.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »
Gotta add to this topic, in my garden a Oroblanco/Sweetie grapefruit has withstand -3°C without any adverse effect. It is grafted on PT and grows in the ground.
Italian fruit forum

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
My young, first year in ground oro blanco grapefruit withstood 16 degrees (-8.89 degrees celcius) one night and 17 degrees (-8.33 celcius) the next night.  It lost all leaves and the new green growth it has looks fried, but the mature growth is still alive.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
This is very interesting. Everywhere i have read that such grapefruit was way more tender, but it looks like it is on par with oranges. Since The fruits are already very good in november, at least at mu place, it proves a fine addition to my plants!
Italian fruit forum

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
I have recently received a Pomelo Welker. I was told it is quite hardy. Does anybody have any more info?

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
Ilya, compared to Enzo and Welker is Bloomsweet as hardy or less? And fruit quality is comparable or not?

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Ilya, compared to Enzo and Welker is Bloomsweet as hardy or less? And fruit quality is comparable or not?
I do not have an answer for their relative hardiness, but for me Bloowsweet is excellent, the best.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
I've seen on the Internet both that  Bloomsweet is a cross between the pummelo and sour orange, and also between pummelo and sweet orange.
Millet, there was a DNA marker analysis study in Japan that showed kinkoji probably resulted from a cross between buntan (pomelo) and kunenbo. Bloomsweet is either believed to be the same variety as, or possibly a seedling of, the Japanese variety kinkoji. Another DNA marker study indicated kunenbo to be one of the parents of Satsuma mandarin (along with kishu as the other parent).
There were several Japanese citrus farmers who immigrated to Texas, so that is how this variety probably arrived in the U.S.

I'm not sure that Bloomsweet qualifies as a "real" grapefruit however. The blossoms don't smell anything like the blossoms of grapefruit or pomelo. It smells almost like neroli, or an intense bitter orange fragrance. (I don't mean the fragrance is bitter, I'm referring to the variety of orange)

Kunenbo is a large size mandarin, supposedly with a distinctive noble scent and very flavorful. Although it is a mandarin it probably has some small amount of pomelo going back in its ancestry.
Apparently it was widely known in the Edo period, but later fell out of popularity because it does have seeds.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 03:51:47 AM »
SoCal2warm du you have Kunenbo? What about its hardiness? And do they come true from seed?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:05:41 PM by Zitrusgaertner »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
SoCal2warm du you have Kunenbo? What about its hardiness? And do thes come true from seed?

According to the Riverside it is polyembryonic, so true to type. Hardy as Satsuma.
http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC3346.html

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
DNA marker analysis identified four different types of Kunenbo.
It is Kunenbo-A that is ubiquitous parent of hardy Japanese citruses.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Kunembo might be used in breeding, but other wise it is not much of a fruit----15-20 seed/fruit, no acid content, and the fruit is not juicy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:43:19 PM by Millet »