Author Topic: Iso any citrus seed that come true to type  (Read 2242 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Iso any citrus seed that come true to type
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
I love growing citrus from seeds, I'm wondering if anyone has any fast fruiting varieties? I'd be into anything really!

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Iso any citrus seed that come true to type
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 11:08:50 AM »
When we speak of "fast fruiting and "from seed" we create an oxymoron. I have found that the earliest to bear froom seed is Meiwa kumquat. I have had them fruit in about 18 months. You really have to take good care of them. I have had some mandrins fruit in 5 years and I have some 15 year old mandrins that I am still waiting on to bear fruit. If I were you and was really wanting to plant seed and see results in the shortest time I would plant some Meiwa Kumquat, feed, water and love them to get them to bear. With the rest of citrus ......plant the seeds, water, fertilize and be surprised that something fruits for you in a short period. Seedlings must grow out of their juvenile life and reach proper node count to bear fruit. Good luck with your project.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »
When we speak of "fast fruiting and "from seed" we create an oxymoron. I have found that the earliest to bear froom seed is Meiwa kumquat. I have had them fruit in about 18 months. You really have to take good care of them. I have had some mandrins fruit in 5 years and I have some 15 year old mandrins that I am still waiting on to bear fruit. If I were you and was really wanting to plant seed and see results in the shortest time I would plant some Meiwa Kumquat, feed, water and love them to get them to bear. With the rest of citrus ......plant the seeds, water, fertilize and be surprised that something fruits for you in a short period. Seedlings must grow out of their juvenile life and reach proper node count to bear fruit. Good luck with your project.

Yeah fast fruiting isn't something that usually happens in citrus, but I wanted to see If there might be some exceptions out there. Love and care for citrus is my specialty! Thanks for the info! I'll have to see if anyone around has seeds from meiwa kumquats! I was told they are very tasty, however that kumquats dont do well on their own roots? I have a limequat currently, only a seedling but still.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
I also know that general information says that Kumquats do not do well on their own roots but......I have Meiwa and Nagami that are 12 and 13 years old, on their own roots that are healthy, bearing trees. So much so that I give away to a friend winemaker and he brings me his wine. Not bad at all. I will check with him and see if he saved seed. He does sometime and other times I think he uses the seed for pectin. May be wrong about that....but seem to remember that from our last conversation. May have been the kumquats talking from the bottle........

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
I also know that general information says that Kumquats do not do well on their own roots but......I have Meiwa and Nagami that are 12 and 13 years old, on their own roots that are healthy, bearing trees. So much so that I give away to a friend winemaker and he brings me his wine. Not bad at all. I will check with him and see if he saved seed. He does sometime and other times I think he uses the seed for pectin. May be wrong about that....but seem to remember that from our last conversation. May have been the kumquats talking from the bottle........

Well that is better news for someone like me!

I will be happy to pay for any seeds and shipping if you or know of anyone that would sell them!

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
Key lime fruits in 2 years.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
Key lime fruits in 2 years.

I haven't ever really had a lot of luck with key limes. They tend to grow very slow for whatever reason in my possession. I do have a few of them.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »
Calamondin fruits in two years.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »
Length of time from seed to fruit.
Most oranges and grapefruit require 7+ years:  Calamondin and key lime 2 - 3 years: mandarins 3-5 years:

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
I also have 2 calamondins, those are growing nicely and I plan to have a bonsai out of it. Now for calamondin, are most plants you buy from store grafted or do they typically come seed grown then?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:45:26 AM by franklazar26 »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
I've grown multiple key limes from seed & they always bloomed at 2 years.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »
Here is a Youtube video about citrus grown from seed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qY8eTPwvow
My name is Cindy

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
I too like experimenting with citrus grown from seeds, but I come into it with the realization that I will not get any fruit from these seedlings for 5-7 years. I just have to be patient and wait see if any new, worthwhile fruits are produced.

That being said, even just a couple of years into my citrus growing, I am starting to see some variations in foliage that lead me to believe that, in a few more years, I will have new varieties of fruit to try.