Author Topic: Imported Mangosteen  (Read 1975 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Imported Mangosteen
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »
I just bought a bag of mangosteen and the lady that runs the shop mentioned the fruits were imported from Mexico.  Are mangosteens usually radiated?  If a radiated seed somehow germinates, would the radiation change the genetics of the fruit?  I just wanted to grow some seedlings out for fun if possible.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Imported Mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
I just bought a bag of mangosteen and the lady that runs the shop mentioned the fruits were imported from Mexico.  Are mangosteens usually radiated?  If a radiated seed somehow germinates, would the radiation change the genetics of the fruit?  I just wanted to grow some seedlings out for fun if possible.

Mangosteens from Asia imported into USA are irradiated. It's possible certain areas of Mexico may have clearance of mangosteen without irradiation. I know that is the case for some places in Central America. But not sure about Mexico.
Usually irradiated seeds will not sprout. I guess it would depend on the dose. I've heard that irradiation is used to get mutations, but this is probably at different doses and types than the irradiation used to sterilize fruit fly maggots.
Oscar

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply Oscar.  I bought some from the same shop a few months and left some seeds inside a clear plastic container with some sphagnum moss as the bedding and they all sprouted but I threw them away since I didn't have the time to pot them up.  Would it be a safe assumption that the mangosteen I got previously were not irradiated since I had 100% germination?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply Oscar.  I bought some from the same shop a few months and left some seeds inside a clear plastic container with some sphagnum moss as the bedding and they all sprouted but I threw them away since I didn't have the time to pot them up.  Would it be a safe assumption that the mangosteen I got previously were not irradiated since I had 100% germination?

Probably not irradiated, or if they irradiated it didn't do a very good job.  ;)
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »
This is good news.
I think it is like you said, they are irradiating to kill bugs, not sterilize the seeds.

Me thinks its time to visit the local Asian mega-mart.

I still have dreams of scarfing a kilo at a sitting while in Vietnam; purple fingered, yelling "oh man, these are good."

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
This is good news.
I think it is like you said, they are irradiating to kill bugs, not sterilize the seeds.

Me thinks its time to visit the local Asian mega-mart.

I still have dreams of scarfing a kilo at a sitting while in Vietnam; purple fingered, yelling "oh man, these are good."

The irradiation doesn't kill the fruit fly maggots, just sterilizes them. So you can still end up eating one, or two, or three. Bon appetit!  ;)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk