Author Topic: Is there any fruit that grows in Hawaii that won't grow in Puerto Rico?  (Read 5692 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
And vice-versa. Figuring out where I would retire and start a farm if I ever hit the lottery :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any fruit that grows in Hawaii that won't grow in Puerto Rico?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »
PR would be a lot cheaper than Hawaii in case you don't hit the lottery!
John

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 08:25:53 PM »
Why not Costa Rica? It has good medical insurance, much laid back life, tico people are friendly too. And you can grow any subtropical or tropical trees depending on which part of CR. Lot prices are cheaper as well.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 11:39:12 PM »
Line up the climate maps of each and you will find there is a lot of variation especially in Hawaii. It easier to compare spots than big areas with mountains and island chains stretching up to Midway. You might find you can grow all the same stuff in lowland areas if you provide extra seasonal water in PR.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
You can pretty much grow same crops in PR and HI. It's easier to obtain most rare tropical trees in HI than PR. Hawaii has been growing tropical fruits longer, and the population here is a lot more mixed, including lots of Asians, who T have brought over their plants and knowledge. HI is a lot more expensive than PR, but doesn't get hit by hurricanes very often, as does PR. I'd say visit both and see where you feel more comfortable living. The cultures and way of life is very different in both paces.
Oscar

pczhou

• Tropical Fruit Gardening in SoCal and NorCal
    • Elk Grove CA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
Anyone know if Hass Avocados grow in Hawaii and Puerto Rico ?

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
Keep dreaming my friend, maybe one day. Who says Hi. have more exotic fruit is true. But you know that we have the best ones. We are true tropical .And Ken Love is WRONG .We have a bigger avocado collection.And We are behind MEXICO, COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. .....Hass is overvalued

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 03:22:07 AM »
Regular Hass grows but does not fruit well in the tropics. But we have avocados that are 100x better than Hass, so nobody cares!
Oscar

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
true ,Nishikawa,Malama, are better than hass, I have them . But I have much better avocados in my PRIVATE COLLECTION. 32% oil content. I have some hass varieties and various semils, with proper care they fruit
well. In more dry zone like Cabo Rojo, Santa Isabel and Lajas Puerto Rico this avocados have limited Comercial production. Our market is for more watery avocados. You can see big avocado trees in metropolitan area in very tight spaces. Really sorry due
to 3 vicious claims in paypal I'am not making business.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
Regular Hass grows but does not fruit well in the tropics. But we have avocados that are 100x better than Hass, so nobody cares!
Ya gotta give Hass some credit.  It's the perfect commercial avocado.  The only thing it lacks is size.
John

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »
is true. Dominican Republic harvest it all year round. The semil 34, 43, 22,24,26 etc.The same way. Don Jeño Toro  (Rip) gave the Puerto Rico developed varieties to them. Ironically they have by far bigger production.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 05:34:46 PM »
Ya gotta give Hass some credit.  It's the perfect commercial avocado.  The only thing it lacks is size.
Yes, and Tommy Atkins is the perfect commercial mango. But is it really the best tasting mango? Anyway, if you are so enamored with Hass, you can go to any supermarket in Hawaii and pay high price to buy small crappy avocado shipped from California. A lot of people actually do!
Oscar

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 06:00:44 PM »
Yes, and Tommy Atkins is the perfect commercial mango. But is it really the best tasting mango? Anyway, if you are so enamored with Hass, you can go to any supermarket in Hawaii and pay high price to buy small crappy avocado shipped from California. A lot of people actually do!
I eat them because they're only $0.59 or 0.69 here and I don't have a homegrown option, but I still would give them more credit than a TA mango when it comes to flavor.
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:30 AM »
I eat them because they're only $0.59 or 0.69 here and I don't have a homegrown option, but I still would give them more credit than a TA mango when it comes to flavor.
Hass is $2+ a pound here, and not very good quality by the time it reaches Hawaii.
Oscar

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »
Just saying...

Uganda has the best tasting Avocados for only about 15c  a fruit (and some are quite large too).

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 02:47:51 PM »
Honestly you should visit both places; they're very different. In terms of plants, PR has a tropical rain forest but Hawaii does not, because PR is overall much wetter and more consistently tropical. But that can work against you if you grow fruits that actually prefer it drier, which would be much easier on the western halves of the Hawaiian islands.

But PR is MUCH cheaper and also much closer to other places as well as Florida. Hawaii is a 6+ hour flight from anything.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 04:01:31 AM »
Honestly you should visit both places; they're very different. In terms of plants, PR has a tropical rain forest but Hawaii does not, because PR is overall much wetter and more consistently tropical. But that can work against you if you grow fruits that actually prefer it drier, which would be much easier on the western halves of the Hawaiian islands.

But PR is MUCH cheaper and also much closer to other places as well as Florida. Hawaii is a 6+ hour flight from anything.
Agreed with the visiting being most important. But Hawaii doesn't have tropical rainforests? Really? I'm living in one right now. BTW, Hawaii has many areas much higher rainfall than PR, and has many tropical forest areas. Also from California it is a 5 hour flight to Hawaii. The best thing about PR is you can buy real cheap land there, especially now that they are going through severe economic depression, and lots of people are moving out. Also labor and supplies there are a lot cheaper.
Oscar

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 09:18:12 AM »
But if he's just waiting to hit the lottery....Anyway, it's an interesting conversation. The overall impression we get about Hawaii these days is that it's prohibitively expensive to locate there for anyone other than the wealthiest 1%.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »
Most the Puerto Ricans I know only travel to New York or Puerto Rico when they have to not because they want to. And when they do they can't get back to Florida fast enough. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
Apparently these options are limited to tropical areas that are part of the US, but why?  Both are quite culturally different from mainstream USA.  Personally, my favorite two States are Hawaii and New Mexico, perhaps because of their cultural distinction.
If an American can potentially adapt to living in Puerto Rico then they could also live easily in other more independent tropical countries.  Such a decision should be taken carefully but could work out well.  A well known Puerto Rican is re-locating to Panama.  I do not promote any countries but, for such an important decision, I would ask, why limit the options?
Peter

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
They are pretty similar in what you can grow but in PR you get more bang for yr buck, if you want to relocate. Hawaii is in the middle of nowhere and very expensive. I spend some time in Hawaii while in the military, love the beaches and food. With respect to avocados, Hass is the gold standard and for many good reasons. I’ve never taste a better avocado than Hass anywhere in the tropics and I’ve taste a few of those famous varieties from Hawaii. the best being sharwil most likely a seedling of Hass. I grew up eating West Indies avocados and I like them a lot but you need to add olive oil, vinegar and salt to make it right. Few West Indies avocados can match up to Hass w respect to high oil content and flavor .... two that come to mind are Suarez and Matequilla, even though they are 4 x larger they are 3 x cheaper in the Yucatán peninsula.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »
They are pretty similar in what you can grow but in PR you get more bang for yr buck, if you want to relocate. Hawaii is in the middle of nowhere and very expensive. I spend some time in Hawaii while in the military, love the beaches and food. With respect to avocados, Hass is the gold standard and for many good reasons. I’ve never taste a better avocado than Hass anywhere in the tropics and I’ve taste a few of those famous varieties from Hawaii. the best being sharwil most likely a seedling of Hass. I grew up eating West Indies avocados and I like them a lot but you need to add olive oil, vinegar and salt to make it right. Few West Indies avocados can match up to Hass w respect to high oil content and flavor .... two that come to mind are Suarez and Matequilla, even though they are 4 x larger they are 3 x cheaper in the Yucatán peninsula.

Agree about the hass.
Brad Spaugh

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:24 PM »
Apparently these options are limited to tropical areas that are part of the US, but why?  Both are quite culturally different from mainstream USA.  Personally, my favorite two States are Hawaii and New Mexico, perhaps because of their cultural distinction.
If an American can potentially adapt to living in Puerto Rico then they could also live easily in other more independent tropical countries.  Such a decision should be taken carefully but could work out well.  A well known Puerto Rican is re-locating to Panama.  I do not promote any countries but, for such an important decision, I would ask, why limit the options?
Peter
Did someone tell Gerardo Rivera that Al Capone had a secret vault in the basement of a Panama City Hotel? What about Super Hass is it more Super than Hass? :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 04:55:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 05:41:01 PM »
Peter
I guess he wants to move to a place inside the USA? Moving to another country is a much bigger leap, both culturally and distance wise. Also you can get by in PR with english. That's a lot harder in CR or other latin american countries.
Oscar

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
As a recent transplant from Arizona to Hawaii I miss living in a diverse whole native ecosystem that I imagine PR and CR have in abundance. What I don’t miss, and think is worth the extra Hawaiian expense, are all the plants and critters with their spines, thorns, fangs and poison at the ready. Pushing through tall grass here without fear is surreal.