Author Topic: Yard update  (Read 5803 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Yard update
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
Hi Friends,

I thought it was about time that I post some pictures of my yard on the forum so here they are. The pictures will take place either up on the hill,or in the GH. I don't know how to enlarge the photo inside of a post but you can click the pics for a much bigger resolution. I didn't feel like posting pictures of the tree's that were barren and looked like sticks in the ground so I will leave a list of what I didn't add... I will also add pics of my small seedlings tomorrow.

Jackfruit
"Panache" fig
"Peters Honey" fig
"Pantin" Mamey Sapote
Buddhas hand(Mealy Bugs)
Miracle Berry
Jaboticaba(It wasn't barren or anything but I just forgot to take a picture and I am too lazy to climb up the hill and take a pic.. I'll try to take one this week)

Allspice

Cinnamon

Dragonfruit

"El Bumpo" Cherimoya

"Cooledgei" Feijoa

"Glenn" Mango

"Glenn Mango blooms

Goji Berry... forgot what variety

"Gwen" Avocado

Large "Hass" Avocado

Another Large "Hass" Avocado

"Hass" Avocado Flowers of the second tree shown

"Hass" Avocado flowers of the first tree shown

"Honey Hart" Cherimoya

"Honey Hart" Leaves

"Normans Early Bearing" Ice Cream Bean tree.

"Normans Early Bearing" ICe Cream Bean... close up of red leaves

"Sabara" Jaboticaba

Kieffer Lime

Kieffer Lime up close

Immature fruit of a fig tree that produces extremely large and tasty fruits... it is evergreen... anyone have a guess on the variety?

Here's the tree

My first Macadamia nut tree

New growth

Second Macadamia tree... this one gets a lot more sun and is much smaller.

Red Jaboticaba

"Reed" Avocado

Rio Grande Cherry tree

Pretty foliage

Rio Red Grapefruit

Up close of new growth

New growth on Rollinia... for a while now the where the Rollinia puts out new growth it suddenly turns brown and then falls off... what is the cause of this because it is in a GH in shade with humidity and regular 75 degree temps... what could cause this? I think it might be rootbound because it is in a very small pot.

Seedless Strawberry Guava Fruit... I will post some pics when it is ripe to show it is really seedless.

Seedless Strawberry Guava tree

Surinam Cherry

New Growth

"Sweetheart" Lychee Bloom

"Sweetheart" Lychee tree

Unknown but mature loquat

Unknown Pouteria... I think it is something along the lines of green sapote

Up close... sorry for blurry quality

Up close of the loquat tree

Struggling Wax Jambu... I planted it in mid-december not even bothering to think of the temperatures

Unknown variety of white sapote that produces fruit all year... these are the flowers.

Here are some small fruit

The pretty leaves... I notice the leaves on this tree to be quite rotund and waxy.

Here is the actual tree

And last but not least Yuzu

Thanks for taking the time to look,
Jackson

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Yard update
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »
Jack - an amazing variety of plants!!!!!  You;re sort of inland from Encitas - looks dry, almost
desert-like.  How hot does it get in the summers there?

Gary

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
Looking good Jack... :) You have a great place and a wonderful collection.
Loved the pics with the new foliage. Really pretty!

With the rollinia, is it getting watered regularly? Go ahead and check if its root bound. It maybe drying up in-between waterings and that may be what is affecting the new buds.

Thanks for sharing the pics...
GT

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »
Jack - an amazing variety of plants!!!!!  You;re sort of inland from Encitas - looks dry, almost
desert-like.  How hot does it get in the summers there?

Gary
Thanks Gary!

I't doesn't really show in the pics but I took these photo's right after it rained... I am in Santa Barbara, CA. The ground looks so barren because it was filled completely with ice-plant so I took a bunch of it out to plant some trees. It get's relatively hot in the summers... about 75F-90F in day when it's summer and a 60F-75F night with almost no humidity.

Looking good Jack... :) You have a great place and a wonderful collection.
Loved the pics with the new foliage. Really pretty!

With the rollinia, is it getting watered regularly? Go ahead and check if its root bound. It maybe drying up in-between waterings and that may be what is affecting the new buds.

Thanks for sharing the pics...
GT
Thanks GT,

I am pretty sure the Rollinia is rootbound so I will repot it tomorrow. It get's watered so that the soil is never dry. The only thing I can think of is that it is rootbound.

Jackson

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:32 AM »
Your dragonfruit plant is in extremely poor health; This probably owing to your soil type which is causing root rot, and it is also getting too much sun exposure/and or waterlogging, which is why it is yellow and has dead tendrils. Cut the bottom from a plastic pot, and replant in potting mix with 30% compost and 25% coarse sand. Mulch this heavily, at least 3 inches.

s

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
You are off to a good start Jack but there is plenty of room left to plant!  ;D 8)

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »
You are off to a good start Jack but there is plenty of room left to plant!  ;D 8)
Thanks Ethan,

I agree... I counted it up and I have room for a lot more tree's(I've got more land I haven't planted on yet). I forgot to take pictures of my lower yard but it was so wet yesterday that I couldn't... it is wet today too but I will try taking pics as soon as it starts to dry up. Ethan, I wanted to know if I should spray my "Glenn" mango blooms with copper or not once they open.... should I or not?

Your dragonfruit plant is in extremely poor health; This probably owing to your soil type which is causing root rot, and it is also getting too much sun exposure/and or waterlogging, which is why it is yellow and has dead tendrils. Cut the bottom from a plastic pot, and replant in potting mix with 30% compost and 25% coarse sand. Mulch this heavily, at least 3 inches.

s
Hi Starling,

My dragonfruit has always been in poor health :(... I got it free from the last owner because he didn't want it and thought it was just a space waster. It is a "Purple Haze" variety but right now it looks like it is a "Brown Haze" Dragonfruit. I am going to take cuttings from the cactus and root them just in case when I try repotting the mother plant it is not successful.
Jackson

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
Great collection. My dragonfruit looks even worse for probably the same reasons.

Is an everbearing white sapote unusual?
Shane

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »
Jack, I dont grow Glen yet but when I first ordered my VP from FL, I sprayed it with copper for the first year, it hasn't needed it since.  Yes I did spray the blooms, leaves and branches maybe once a month?

Shane, I believe some consider 'Vernon' to be an ever bearing WS.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Very nice collection Jack!

Richard

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
Hey Jack, great collection! And that greenhouse looks impressive! How big are the dimensions? And take some more pictures when you can, love to see the rest of the collection.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
Very nice orchard, Jack! 

I see you have hottentot figs, as a ground cover...you can make jam, with the fruits, as it is made in South Africa. The ''gel'' of the leaves, are a very effective cicatrizant for wounds and burns! 

If i was you...I would increase the organic matter around the trees, with the aim of increasing the soil fertility and water storage capacity...implement some permaculture tecniques, to make your orchard more productive and increase the diversity of flora...this will in turns attract beneficial insects like pollinators and help with pest control.  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Very nice orchard, Jack! 

I see you have hottentot figs, as a ground cover...you can make jam, with the fruits, as it is made in South Africa. The ''gel'' of the leaves, are a very effective cicatrizant for wounds and burns! 

If i was you...I would increase the organic matter around the trees, with the aim of increasing the soil fertility and water storage capacity...implement some permaculture tecniques, to make your orchard more productive and increase the diversity of flora...this will in turns attract beneficial insects like pollinators and help with pest control.  :)
Hi Jackfruitwhisperer,

Since I have chickens my uncle(who farms tropical fruit for a living) told me that if I put the chicken poop in water and added some chicken shavings and put it around my tree's it would give them a big boost. Do you have any recomondations of other organic matter to put around the trees?

Thanks,
Jackson

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
Very nice orchard, Jack! 

Hi Jackfruitwhisperer,

Since I have chickens my uncle(who farms tropical fruit for a living) told me that if I put the chicken poop in water and added some chicken shavings and put it around my tree's it would give them a big boost. Do you have any recomondations of other organic matter to put around the trees?

Thanks,

How exactly does one shave a chicken?

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
LOL... I meant the organic wood shavings you put in a chicken coop... they look like this:

Jackson

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
Chicken poop is very high nitrogen and can burn plants. Young plants. So don't overdo it

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
Chicken poop is very high nitrogen and can burn plants. Young plants. So don't overdo it
Hi Zands,

I have already discussed this with Sadhu Govardhan and my uncle, you have to put small amounts of chicken manure in about five to ten gallons of water and let it sit for about a day. The chicken shavings then absorb this and when set around the tree decay into nice organic matter. I am thinking of goat manure as an alternative.
Jackson

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
Hi Jack,
Chicken manure, is quite high in N, as Zands mentioned...because of the grains and greens they eat. The mixing the chicken bed, with water and irrigate them trees, is a good way to fertilize them trees...just don't over do it, so that they roots don't get harmed by a high N dose.

Compost and leaf litter, would be an awesome addition of organic matter around the trees. I think you have access to free compost, since you are in SoCal...take advantage of this. ;)

I do my own compost and vermicompost, as a soil mix for them seedlings and to put around them trees.

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!