Author Topic: ugni myricoides_ black Chilean guava  (Read 2144 times)

Rombecca15

• Irving, Tx zone 8A
    • View Profile
ugni myricoides_ black Chilean guava
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
I am looking for the Black Chilean Guava - Ugni myricoides. If anyone has any plants or seeds available please let me know or If you know of anyone or anywhere I would be able to find them any help is appreciated! I've looked on several websites such as fruit lovers, wanderlust nursery and flying fruit farm. I'm very interested in finding seeds if anyone can help please. Thank you!!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: ugni myricoides_ black Chilean guava
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:15:06 PM »
This has nothing to do with Chile.Its grows in Mexico and its less cold tolerant than Ugni Molinae.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »
taste.ecrater. com

FruitKid374

• High School Plant Addict
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:27:01 PM »

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
Ive got lots of seeds i harvested in the fall

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 05:41:37 PM »
It looks like grumichama.  I am interesting with it.  How is it compare to grumichama?

Rombecca15

• Irving, Tx zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
Ive got lots of seeds i harvested in the fall

Brian thank you! Would you be so kind as to send some my way? I would be willing to pay of course and thank you for your help everyone!

directrepeat

• Austin, Texas USA zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 08:42:31 PM »
None of the Ugni species are very appropriate for growing in Texas. It gets above 95 and the whole plant will die--not get damaged, not lose leaves, die completely. Unless you have an air conditioned greenhouse I'd give up...I'm in Austin and have killed many before giving up.

Rombecca15

• Irving, Tx zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 10:35:58 PM »
None of the Ugni species are very appropriate for growing in Texas. It gets above 95 and the whole plant will die--not get damaged, not lose leaves, die completely. Unless you have an air conditioned greenhouse I'd give up...I'm in Austin and have killed many before giving up.

Thank you for your input! That's actually something me and my husband were talking about, we're looking for ways to try to keep it alive and hopefully if we can have one we can try! & If we succeed then hopefully we'll be able to post updates. Lots of hopefully's but we're willing to take a shot at it 👍

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »

I'm in Phoenix, which is much hotter. I have, in dappled shade, a potted Ugni molinae seedling that sprouted in January. It's doing perfectly fine, despite temperatures around 105 f / 40 c or more for the last 1 1/2 months.

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 01:04:24 AM »
I have two ugni molinae here in inland northern California (9b), where it regulary gets in the high 90’s and 100’s throughout the summer. They are planted on an east facing wall, getting afternoon shade and are doing great. 

Kirstyla8

• Perth, western australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
I'm curious as to whether anyone has fruited these. I have the regular chilean guava but it isn't cold enough wher i am to fruit it successfully.

Zpusher

• DFW z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
I also have to deal with the scorching hot north Texas summers. You'll be fine if you provide ample moisture and some shade when it gets really hot. You got it 👍

Rombecca15

• Irving, Tx zone 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »
I also have to deal with the scorching hot north Texas summers. You'll be fine if you provide ample moisture and some shade when it gets really hot. You got it 👍

Thank you! I appreciate your help and encouragement 😊