Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183198 times)

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »
Samu FYI, my 10 ft tree had a couple of fruits in 2015 that I picked in December that year (much too early per JF: I agree, tasted bland), no flowers in 2016 for some reason, this year 2017 have some fruits hanging, along with few others from different variety scions...

I'm on the same page with you. One of my Sir Prize is the same size as your. Had very little flowers but manage to have 2 fruits. Hopefully over time the flowering increase 100,000 folds (hope it will be ridiculously as the Lamb). The Sir Prize is a really fast grower which I'm very fond of. My (2) 5 gal second year in the ground are like 5ft already. I think they will hit 10 ft next year.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
Hi, thanks for that chart, Mark! Your scribbling on it actually made that an even more valuable one!  :D  Looks like Reed and Pinkerton are good choices for us home growers, huh? Okay, I'll be hunting for some more cado scions come Jan/Feb !

Spaugh, yeah, I read somewhere that one can attempt to "guide" the tree so that it won't go to the alternate bearing mode, but I forgot how or what the successful rate would be; so I will try your suggested thinning method and see what happens...

Hi Raiders, yes., it's fast upright growers,  -as Mark's chart and my tree indicates- .
On fruiting "year", you  may want to do lots of thinning and/or give extra limb support, as I recall Frank's large tree limb broke due to abundant of fruits weight about 2 years ago.

So, if this is ok, along with alternate bearing tendency of this Sir prize, then that's fine. But, I prefer to have a consistent yearly fruiting one, so I'll probably do a partial top worked on mine, keeping just a couple of Sir prize's at the lower branches...

Sam

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Welcome Samu!

I think most any tree will go alternate to a major or minor degree if it's holding a lot of fruit just prior and during the blooming and fruit set period.  Seen it first hand with citrus.  I tend to let my blood oranges hang up to late March.  Really affects fruit set.   Tree says to itself, "self, why should I worry about next year children when we have all these kids ready to drop and carry on now?" 

My Reed may have had a heavy summer fruit drop due to the tree still holding a lot of last year's fruit.  Didn't harvest the last ones until Sept.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
To add to Mark’s comments, Guatemalans bloom and set fruits while holding a crop. Perfect example is my Holiday. It is holding fruits now it will bloom in January and set more

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
To add to Mark’s comments, Guatemalans bloom and set fruits while holding a crop. Perfect example is my Holiday. It is holding fruits now it will bloom in January and set more

Yep, it's that 18 mo. cycle, mas o menos.  Harvesting Guatemalans in March is a bit early however the Reeds I've picked in June were really good.

Never knew Holiday aka XX3 was a sport of Reed until recently.  No wonder folks love it.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
Anyone notice their Sir-Prize getting more tip burn than other varieties? I have about ten varieties, and every year my Sir-Prize has the worst tip burn. I'm certain I water it as much as my other trees, so I'm wondering if it's the scion or the rootstock of this particular tree that's susceptible.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
My Reed got tip burn after 2 Santa Ana winds.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
Finally getting to pick some avocados.  We have been avoiding store avocados waiting for our trees to start putting out.  Today I picked a Sir prize, fuerte, and bacon.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
Nice, but doesn't Sir Prize turn black on the tree first?  Am new to this one reason why I ask.  Mine are:

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
I dont know either Mark, its new to me too.  My tree is only 2 years in the ground.  We got 3 or 4 of them last year and they were picked green and tasted good.  Mine do not appear to be turning color at all, they are just swelling up bigger.  Im guessing they will just keep growing for many more months and not change color but who knows.  There are a lot on the tree so I will try and let some go until March or April and see if they start turning black.

This one I picked was the first one this year so I will follow up in a week when we cut in and let you know how it was.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »
Check out this video Mark, this was shot in early December.  He talks about Sir Prize in the second half.  All of the fruits he picked up at market are green.  I am going to go out on a limb and say your fruits are done and you wait to long they will be done done done.  If it was me I would pick one and see.   Since you are not in CA, you tree may think its further into winter and its time to finish sooner than here because of lower temps.  But that is just my guess.  Its 105F here right now by the way.

Check this video out.
https://youtu.be/BY6CNEkXYGE
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:20:34 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
Yes, sir Prize has to turn black. Brad, that one had a long way to go

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Thanks,  We are getting desperate here.  They can all go longer but the avocados at the store are junk.  I don't want to wait for it to turn black!   :-[  But we will wait...
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Frank.

Yeah, been following your temps.  LA hitting 95F, you 105F??????   ???

The Hass we get are all from Mexico and yes they are crap.  I love avocados but the only ones I find that are somewhat decent are from Sam's Club.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
Check this video out.

Oh boy, if it aint Chris from Growquest, hah!  That video was shot in 2013.  I wonder if he's out of jail yet, or still living considering how many he's ripped off?

Also, it's Hass aka H-ASS, not Hoz!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
Haha I heard some stories or maybe read the comments on growquests scams.  He still has good videos even if he is a scam artist.
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »
Check this video out.

Oh boy, if it aint Chris from Growquest, hah!  That video was shot in 2013.  I wonder if he's out of jail yet, or still living considering how many he's ripped off?

I was one of his victims, $75 for a Holiday avocado tree he promoted in Youtube but that he never deliver, only promises...! Glad to know he was jailed, he deserved it!
Sam

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
When Brokaw's avocado stand has Sir Prize fruits they're green and still taste pretty good.  I guess they pick them green for ease of handling...

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »

GrowQuest Growers: Guilty plea to felonies by owner of online nursery
http://www.santapaulatimes.com/news/archivestory.php/aid/30153/GrowQuest_Growers:_Guilty_plea_to_felonies_by_owner_of_online_nursery.html

Update: Christopher Morgan Gilcrest is now out of prison and in Lancaster, California doing business as Earth Stone and Rock.
https://eclecticprogressive.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/chris-gilcrest-of-growquest-growers-is-a-fraud/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:25:22 PM by ricshaw »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
If you pick sir Prize green they are bland and lack oil. I’ve tasted hundreds of the cados. I’d wait until they color for optimum flavor....the longer the hang on the tree the better they taste

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:05 PM »
Whats the typical season start and end for sir prize JF?  My tree is loaded even after thinning twice.  They are swelling up and the tree is falling over.   I'd like to get some of them off sooner then later.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
GrowQuest Growers: Guilty plea to felonies by owner of online nursery
http://www.santapaulatimes.com/news/archivestory.php/aid/30153/GrowQuest_Growers:_Guilty_plea_to_felonies_by_owner_of_online_nursery.html

Update: Christopher Morgan Gilcrest is now out of prison and in Lancaster, California doing business as Earth Stone and Rock.
https://eclecticprogressive.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/chris-gilcrest-of-growquest-growers-is-a-fraud/

Yep. He was convicted in June 2015 and the prosecutors expected a year sentence. Sure sure enough, July 2016 and he’s registered several domain names and is now shilling landscape gravel. Looks like he’s up to his old tricks by having multiple pages on Houzz with stolen photos.......

Wow!  I was actually kidding or rather speculating about him going to jail. Nice to know he served time.  I remember reading death threats against the turd about 8 years ago from quite a few folks that got ripped off.  One lady even video taped his "operations" which was nothing more than an empty driveway.  He turned it around and said he was going to "kill" the stalker who taped him as a poser and a shyster.  His online website of avocado trees was very nice, too good to be true of course.

Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
I was one of his victims, $75 for a Holiday avocado tree he promoted in Youtube but that he never deliver, only promises...! Glad to know he was jailed, he deserved it!

Sorry to hear that.  Another one you've got to be careful of is Top Tropical.  I try to find out someone's rep before ordering and Dave's Garden is a good source.  LOT's of negative and neutrals on TT.  https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Mark! I’ve had bought a few trees
from Toptropicals, my experience with them has been good -so far-
one time they sent a replacement tree for a  dead one even
after a few days in my possession...

Sam

Mark in Texas