Author Topic: Fullerton Green Scene  (Read 1219 times)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Fullerton Green Scene
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
Fullerton Green Scene is next weekend.  April 18th and 19th.

http://fullertonarboretum.org/event_green.php#sthash.T6kqBZbe.dpufhttp://fullertonarboretum.org/event_green.php

Supports the arboretum. Usually a good chance to score karma points and pick up some great plants.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fullerton Green Scene
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:33:29 AM »
Pretty good. There's Tomatomania and other plant vendors there and CRFG OC chapter. The strawberry vendor has varieties that are hard to find in normal stores and there was a guy selling seedlings of more rare fruits like jackfruit and eugenias. Ben Porier didn't show up a few years but he sells seedlings too. Papaya tree nursery sells nice strong fruit trees as well.

Now the bad.
- Entrance is $10 this year. I think it was around $6 last year
- most vendors are a little expensive besides CRFG
- CRFG plants tend to be on the small side and not upright

There's also plant sales from CRFG San Diego on the same Sunday. They tend to have bigger plants but they tend to wait a few years between sales. The same year I got my surinam cherry from Fullerton I saw one in San Diego with mature fruits on it for the same price. I did get fruit on the one I bought 2 years later, so still okay, just required patience.

Now the bad.
- Balboa park in San Diego is also where the Zoo is and also has Earth Fair celebration going on at the same time. It will be very difficult to find parking and you may have to park at City College and take a shuttle to the park. That will limit how many big plants people buy. There's a pickup area available but there will be some congestion driving there to pick up. Earth Fair is horrible for plant sales.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fullerton Green Scene
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »
Going to miss it this year for the first time in 5 years.  Resisting planting any more due to drought and water use penalties by the community services district.  Greenscene has been a wonderful opportunity to obtain some great plants and see folks, but water conservation is paramount.  Sad for nurseries and landscaping products.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk