Author Topic: Homstead / Redlands - Need help with mulch, hole digging for fruit trees  (Read 6802 times)

maverick99

• Homstead
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for all the valuable suggestions. I am going to rent a back hoe and make 3' * 3' holes .

Federico , I will need your help with finding mulch and some guidance on making holes. I will send a message.

Thanks

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
I don't know if that's the best strategy. The roots will pretty quickly grow beyond the 1.5' radius (probably within the first), and the feeder roots generally don't go more than a foot deep anyway. So, you'll end up with several hundred cubic yards of rocks to dispose of (roughly 3/4 yard per hole) with little gain.

The X cutting would be better, as it allows feeder roots space to grow (they can follow the X lines). And you don't gain anything by making the holes that deep. A foot to 18 inches would be plenty. Also, I think your best bet is to get soil depth by bringing in tree trimmer mulch.

When I asked Dr Jonathon Crane about this subject a few years ago, he recommended growing sunn hemp and tilling into the soil.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable suggestions. I am going to rent a back hoe and make 3' * 3' holes .

Federico , I will need your help with finding mulch and some guidance on making holes. I will send a message.

Thanks
Jeff  :-)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
They have people that do this stuff as their job. I would just hire someone down there or contact TREC or other growers to possibly get some contact info. I wish my photos were better organized. I have video of the massive tractor rock plowing a veg field. For tree crops they always rip the cross pattern. I wouldn't dig a 3 x 3 hole unless you are trying to start a field grown bonsai business.

I don't know if that's the best strategy. The roots will pretty quickly grow beyond the 1.5' radius (probably within the first), and the feeder roots generally don't go more than a foot deep anyway. So, you'll end up with several hundred cubic yards of rocks to dispose of (roughly 3/4 yard per hole) with little gain.

The X cutting would be better, as it allows feeder roots space to grow (they can follow the X lines). And you don't gain anything by making the holes that deep. A foot to 18 inches would be plenty. Also, I think your best bet is to get soil depth by bringing in tree trimmer mulch.

When I asked Dr Jonathon Crane about this subject a few years ago, he recommended growing sunn hemp and tilling into the soil.

Thanks
-Josh

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
OMG, there’s no soil.  I am so glad that has not been our experience.  Dealing with soil settling in the trenches would also be a major obstacle.  I would have cried and just moved to Hawaii.

Pineislander is that what you are dealing with?  The 7-10 hours a day I spend on my young 700 tree grove is just on maintenance like foliar spraying, weeding and mowing, adding other various inputs.  I planted by myself all of our trees, about 50 trees per day (1400 total), with a shovel.  While we were in the planting stage.  Unfortunately getting USDA organic trees is impossible so we cannot plant anything  conventional during this final stretch at acquiring our certification by thee end of the year.

Hi Eric.  Common nursery stock can be considered "Organic" after one year.  Why are you waiting, just curious? 
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Thanks

I would diversify. I would dig 3 x3 ft or wider (5ft wide more better) planting holes for some trees. AND the criss cross X pattern of trenching for some trees. Since the criss cross X pattern is how many are doing it where you are then it must have merit.

See if you can find and visit an orchard that has been done and dug out in criss cross X pattern. A 5-10 minute talk w owner might really clarify this for you. Anyone know someone he can check out ..his criss cross dug out fruit orchard

maverick99

• Homstead
    • View Profile
Hi Jeff,

I like the cris cross idea and I can see the roots can spread in all directions. what should be the depth of this trench? How about a 2 feet deep hole at X and 1.5 ' deep * 5 ft wide  trench in all 4 directions. Can I manage this with renting a back hoe? I don't want to rent a trencher and trying to keep low on rental expenses.

At the moment I am planning on having Sugar apple , Jack fruit trees.

What about coconut trees? I am planning to put these around the farm and what should be the depth and width of the hole for coconut trees? I also have some mango trees.

Please let me know if certain type of trees need bigger and wider holes.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Since I don't grow in that area, I don't have good info on specifics. I suggest you call Dr Jonathon Crane from TREC. He has given me good advice on my own growing struggles, and he works with growers in your specific area. He is also the instructor for the HOS 5555 course. I've found him to be fairly accessible and willing to give advice. If you can't find his telephone online, message me, and I'll send it to you via a private message.

Dr Crane did strongly suggest the use of Sunn Hemp as well as irrigation for freezes (Homestead gets freezing temps every couple of winters, and irrigation is one of the tools they use to mitigate damage -- basically coating the trees with ice to protect them).

Hi Jeff,

I like the cris cross idea and I can see the roots can spread in all directions. what should be the depth of this trench? How about a 2 feet deep hole at X and 1.5 ' deep * 5 ft wide  trench in all 4 directions. Can I manage this with renting a back hoe? I don't want to rent a trencher and trying to keep low on rental expenses.

At the moment I am planning on having Sugar apple , Jack fruit trees.

What about coconut trees? I am planning to put these around the farm and what should be the depth and width of the hole for coconut trees? I also have some mango trees.

Please let me know if certain type of trees need bigger and wider holes.
Jeff  :-)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:26:57 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

frankM

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: Homstead / Redlands - Need help with mulch, hole digging for fruit trees
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2019, 05:21:31 PM »
Anybody did rock plowing work in homestead/redland area?
I have 2 acres vacant land too.

bomjik

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 03:15:59 AM »
Do you do this alone or do you have someone to help you? If you do this alone, then I really advise you to hire some kind of company that can help you. They have contacts of other services from which you can cheaply buy all the materials you need (for example, dirt to fill the pits). It will also help you save a huge amount of time. Before, like you, I spent a huge amount of time cleaning the territory. I especially disliked mowing the lawn. It took me a huge amount of time. We once discussed this problem with my work colleague and he advised me to contact https://lawn.com.au/lawn-mowing/ for help. This turned out to be a really cool tip that I now use all the time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:49:25 AM by bomjik »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »
Fascinating topic.  You really took a plunge. I’m curios what homestead $ per acre rates are. Also curious how cost of the options considered work out. I’ve tended to a comparative micro plot (1/10 aces)  in my home country for a decade. And even at that scale machinery is essential.  Weeds take no vacations and eventually grow through everything...seeing weeds even asphalted roadways says a lot. I bid you 100% success with your vision.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk