Author Topic: Too Late To Start Sugar Apple Seeds?  (Read 1318 times)

FruitKid374

• High School Plant Addict
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Too Late To Start Sugar Apple Seeds?
« on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:52 AM »
Just ordered some sugar apple seeds and was wondering if waiting till next spring to plant would give them a better chance of survival. Lowest it gets around here is 40F.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Too Late To Start Sugar Apple Seeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 04:44:36 AM »
I see no advantage to waiting.
Unless space is an issue or some other factor only you would know.
Good Luck!

Kevin Jones

FruitKid374

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »
Thanks, I was just worried about how the cold would affect them.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »
In Florida they go dormant in the Fall before the temps drop.
Hours of daylight must be at work. If you think they may get too cold this winter
start them in 1 gallon pots you can move inside during cold snaps
They won't grow much after October/November but thats 2 months
head start. Don't over water in the Winter

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:16 PM »
Just ordered some sugar apple seeds and was wondering if waiting till next spring to plant would give them a better chance of survival. Lowest it gets around here is 40F.

Plant them immediately, you'll have the highest chance of germination when they're fresher. They can take up to a month or more to sprout so be patient, once they do keep them in pots in warm areas until the temps get to the 70s and below, then keep them indoors for winter and it'll slow them down but won't kill them. Once the temps warm up again next year you can pot them up and let them grow outside or plant them in the ground! Sugar apples are very precocious, mine flowered the first year from seed and produced its first fruit two years from seed. Its from a fruit that grew locally so the mother plant has cold tolerance in my area and therefore the seedling will too. I had a nice sized one I bought in Miami and it died 3 years ago from the winter cuz it couldn't handle it. I'm not sure how cold yours will tolerate but always protect them if its too chilly. They do drop their leaves so don't worry if you see it happen while its cold. Don't hold off on planting them though, you'll be glad you didn't! I think 40F is an okay temp for sugar apples just not too long in my experience, but they have to have a few years of growth so keep in pots or protect each winter until they're good sized. Good luck!!
-Gabe

FruitKid374

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the tips. Would it be better to put them between moist paper towel in a bag, or direct sow, or place them in a growing medium in a bag? What is the preferred way of germinating?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the tips. Would it be better to put them between moist paper towel in a bag, or direct sow, or place them in a growing medium in a bag? What is the preferred way of germinating?
I like to put the seeds in between damp paper towels in a baggie.
Just change the paper towel frequently. Damp vermiculite works also.
I have had some seeds germinate in two weeks and I have had seeds
take longer. In both cases the seeds were fresh? I haven't figured out
why. I also planted seeds in the Fall and they germinated and sprouted
the next Spring. In the future if I have seeds that don't germinate within
2 weeks I was going to scarify the outer seed coat?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:23:59 AM »
Use a small nail file and remove a tiny bit off the tip of the seed, just a bit so humidity could seep in. Then soak in water overnight if seeds are fresh, longer if not. Paper towel wit ziploc and bottom heat is a combo that works wonder.

The real trick is the filing of the tip of the seeds and keep the paper towel WET. Keeping the paper moist is usually not enough and could even encourage mold if seeds are not properly cleaned. I find that keeping the paper dripping wet is best.
Thera

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 12:47:37 PM »
Use a small nail file and remove a tiny bit off the tip of the seed, just a bit so humidity could seep in. Then soak in water overnight if seeds are fresh, longer if not. Paper towel wit ziploc and bottom heat is a combo that works wonder.

The real trick is the filing of the tip of the seeds and keep the paper towel WET. Keeping the paper moist is usually not enough and could even encourage mold if seeds are not properly cleaned. I find that keeping the paper dripping wet is best.

Thanks for this information. When filing the tip of the seeds, does it matter which end and can I file too much?

Once they’ve germinated, any suggestions on what medium to pot them in?

Just had the first sugar apple from my newly planted 3gal.  Fruit was on it when I got it, along with 3 others. I cut off the others to not stress the tree but left this one. Turns out it’s a red and the fruit was the best sugar apple  I’ve had. Excited to try to grow seedlings from this one.  :)

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
Thanks for this information. When filing the tip of the seeds, does it matter which end and can I file too much?

The tip is where there is an opening, that's where the root will come out. And yes, you could file too much and scrape out the inside. Just file enough to remove the outer layer. If you see white material, you filed too much. :)

The medium to use for planting is up to you, SA is not picky but it prefers soil that is on the dry side. I personally use mostly coco coir even though it's a bit more work as you need to compensate every now and then with Cal/Mag/Iron. It's low Ph and that's what most plants prefer.

And Congrats for the nice fruit!
Thera

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 10:06:58 PM »

The tip is where there is an opening, that's where the root will come out. And yes, you could file too much and scrape out the inside. Just file enough to remove the outer layer. If you see white material, you filed too much. :)

The medium to use for planting is up to you, SA is not picky but it prefers soil that is on the dry side. I personally use mostly coco coir even though it's a bit more work as you need to compensate every now and then with Cal/Mag/Iron. It's low Ph and that's what most plants prefer.

And Congrats for the nice fruit!

Thank you, will start filing and soaking tomorrow.  :D