Author Topic: Atemoya cocktail?  (Read 2838 times)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Atemoya cocktail?
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
Can I graft a Gefner on to my Lisa and make a cocktail tree?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya cocktail?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Yes.
Dom

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
It seems related enough so it's hopefully not a problem if I quickly  piggy back this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have this Dream atemoya/cherimoya I got a couple months back...pruned it significantly for it to branch out a bit more and plan on putting it the ground really soon.

Question on pruning these ...so I got a few more branches like I wanted, but there are these two leading shoots that shoot up about 3 to 4 feet vertically and seem pretty vigorous, almost constantly extending the terminal with new growth...

I think I remember reading somewhere about punching off the new growths to encourage branching ....would that help with this?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:23:45 PM by Jani »
always longing for a JA Julie

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
Here is a one year atemoya cocktail
Birula & Calostro

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:10:55 AM »
It seems related enough so it's hopefully not a problem if I quickly  piggy back this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have this Dream atemoya/cherimoya I got a couple months back...pruned it significantly for it to branch out a bit more and plan on putting it the ground really soon.

Question on pruning these ...so I got a few more branches like I wanted, but there are these two leading shoots that shoot up about 3 to 4 feet vertically and seem pretty vigorous, almost constantly extending the terminal with new growth...

I think I remember reading somewhere about punching off the new growths to encourage branching ....would that help with this?

I'd wait for the until all the leaves drop then cut the long branches back by a bit. I've been using this technique with my gefner and it really branched out.
I think this method is from UFs recommendations.

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 07:24:30 AM »
Here is a one year atemoya cocktail
Birula & Calostro

Nice tree!  Thanks

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »

I'd wait for the until all the leaves drop then cut the long branches back by a bit. I've been using this technique with my gefner and it really branched out.
I think this method is from UFs recommendations.

thanks and when does leaf drop usually happen? fall or winter I'm guessing? I'm really new to growing anonas
always longing for a JA Julie

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:11:05 AM »
Re: pruning: I'd just cut the long whippy growth back by about a third now while there's still some time left in the growing season. I do that pretty regularly with all my atemoya and they branch out a few nodes back from the cut.
Dom

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
Re: pruning: I'd just cut the long whippy growth back by about a third now while there's still some time left in the growing season. I do that pretty regularly with all my atemoya and they branch out a few nodes back from the cut.

I forgot where I heard this from but I thought when you tip Atemoyas you need to remove a set of leaves further back so it can branch from there.

More on the subject of Atemoya cocktails, is March the ideal time for grafting and topworking?
I assume scions harvested from then would be ideal.

Any recommended techniques? Or just the normal cleft, veneer and bark.

I've been getting comfortable multigrafting mangos so i'd like to try these next.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:57 AM »
How is everyone multigraft going? I recently got frank's scion and put it on a knight cherimoya and it is taking it.  So far half of the tree is knight and the other birula.