Author Topic: Mango id help please! (Pics)  (Read 1043 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Mango id help please! (Pics)
« on: July 27, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
These are two mango trees that came with our new house. Both are destined to be topp-worked but in the meantime I’d really like to know what the heck they are! They are both grafted trees, purported to be Haden but the first one clearly is not Haden and the second, the fruit seem awfully small to me.

Tree one:

Tree two:

Both are being ravaged by anthracnose as we started getting regular rains and high humidity at the exact worst time after an extended dry season. Tasted a drop from tree one and it was lousy - pale yellow flesh, sour and watery. Very little fiber though.
There are very few grafted varieties here, Haden being by FAR the most common. Other than that there are a few Irwins which this ain’t. Anyone have any ideas?

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Mango id help please! (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Bump. Anyone?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »
Here in southern Florida, we are often asked to identify similar mangos to these, and our typical response is, "Probably 'Haden' seedlings."  People did plant 1,000's of seeds from 'Haden' fruits, and since those seeds were monoembryonic [produced by plant sex], none of them grew as a true 'Haden.'
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
Since you believe thse are grafted tree, and they do have lower branches, then consider named varieties known to have originated as 'Haden' seedlings.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk